- For other places with the same name, see Saint-Pierre (disambiguation).
Saint Pierre is an island and the capital of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon.
Although it is much smaller than Miquelon, it is much more heavily populated (about 5,500). The residents are primarily of Basque, Breton, Normand, and Acadian heritage.
There are several small islands near the main island, including L'Île-aux-Marins ("Island of the Sailors"), which was formerly inhabited.
There are two principle methods of getting to St. Pierre: ferry or flight. Air Saint-Pierreoperates regularly scheduled flights to Miquelon, St. John's (Newfoundland), Montréal (Québec), Halifax (Nova Scotia), and Sydney (Nova Scotia). SPM Express operates the Arethusa ferry which provides seasonal ferry service between Saint-Pierre and Fortune, Newfoundland. The ferry operates from late April until mid September. Daily departures are available in July and August. The ferry takes approximately 90 minutes, depending on weather conditions.
When arriving in Saint-Pierre all persons will be required to pass through Customs. Passports are required by all travellers.
- Pointe aux Canons Lighthouse, Habour. A navigational beacon for ships large and small, this automated lighthouse is not open to the general public but is located at the end of an accessible jetty for picture-takers and scenic drawing. When at the lighthouse, look for the upright canon which dates back to the Crimean War. free.
- Pointe aux Canons Battery, Harbour. The Pointe aux Canons Battery is located just before the jetty to the lighthouse on the site of a much older fort that defended the Saint-Pierre & Miquelon islands during the British raids of 1690-1713. free.
- Saint-Pierre Post Office. The Alsatian style of architecture was brought to Saint-Pierre in the early decades of the 20th century. Shaped like a praying monk, the Saint-Pierre Post Office clock tower looks over the General de Gaulle square. free.
- Saint-Pierre Cemetery. This is Saint-Pierre's fourth cemetery. Located on a gentle slope, thousands of monuments are built above ground in a style unique in North America. The Cemetery is open at all times. free.
- Les Salines Fishing Stations, Habour. Just a few feet from the Pointe aux Canons lighthouse, the Les Salines or Fishing Stations were built by the Saint-Pierre & Miquelon Government and house the massive equipment of inshore fishermen. The Les Salines are colourful and unique way of illustrating the a very important aspect of decades old economic life of the local fishing culture. free.
- Musée Héritage, rue Maitre Georges Lefèvre, ☎ . Saint-Pierre's newest museum has many religious and medical artifacts from the 19th and 20th centuries. A wonderful exhibit on Prohibition is also highly recommended. Musée Héritage is privately owned and operated. Small fee.
- Musée de l'Arche, rue du 11 Novembre, ☎ . The State Museum is operated by the local government of Saint-Pierre & Miquelon and houses the islands Archives. Temporary and permanents exhibits showcase the islands History and Culture. Among the many items on display, is the famous guillotine used during the 1889 execution (The Néel Affair - Inspiration for the Widow of St Pierre).
- Musée de la Prohibition, 10 rue du 11 Novembre, ☎ . This small private museum is in Saint-Pierre's Hotel Robert. Musée de la Prohibition is privately owned and operated. small fee.
- Musée Archipélitude, Ile Aux Marins, ☎ . Located on the island of Ile aux Marins, this museum contains a unique collection related to life on the islands and the fishing industry.
There are a limited number of restaurants in Saint-Pierre. It is strongly encouraged that reservations are made for supper time. Any hotel/B&B or the tourism office can assist you in making reservations.
- La Voilerie, 12, rue du 11 novembre, ☎ (508) 41 53 00 ou/or + (508) 55 53 00, e-mail: email@example.com. French cuisine, local products, a varied menu.
- La Brasserie del L'Ile de France, 6, rue Maître Georges Lefèvre, ☎ (508) 41 03 50, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Traditional French cuisine, brasserie, snacks, and pizzeria.
- La Récréation, 2, rue Amiral Muselier, ☎ (508) 41 17 07, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Le Feu de Braise, 14, rue Albert Briand, ☎ (508) 41 91 60, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Traditional French cuisine, a large variety of dishes and pizzas, take-out food.
- Quatre Temps, 14, rue du Temple, ☎ (508) 41 43 01, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Le Maringoin'fre, 22, rue Général Leclerc, ☎ (508) 41 36 79, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Crepes, steaks, hamburgers, chowder, take-out food.
- Chez Jenny Jo, Rue de Paris, ☎ (508) 41 58 00.
- L'Express. fast food
- Pizzeria Chez Alain, 17, rue Marcel Bonin, ☎ (508) 41 27 28.
- Le Skréo, 4, rue Ducouédic, ☎ (508) 41 77 50. Closed Tue. Fried chicken, salads, hamburgers, seafood, American sandwiches, take-out food.
- Auberge del L'Archipel, 19, rue Beaussant, ☎ (508) 41 72 00, e-mail: email@example.com. 6 rooms from €45.
- Auberge Quatre Temps, 14, rue du Temple, ☎ (508) 41 43 01, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 6 rooms from €48.
- Auberge Saint-Pierre, 16, rue Georges Daguerre, ☎ (508) 41 40 86, e-mail: email@example.com. 10 rooms from €48.
- Bernard Dodeman B&B, 15, rue Paul Bert, ☎ (508) 41 30 60, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 rooms from €38.
- Chez Hélène B&B, 15, rue Beaussant, ☎ (508) 41 31 08. 9 rooms from €45.
- Hôtel Ile de France, 6 rue Maître Georges Lefèvre, ☎ (508) 41 03 50, e-mail: email@example.com. 24 rooms from €80.
- Hôtel-Motel Robert, 10/12 rue du 11 Novembre, ☎ (508) 41 24 19 or 1-800-563-2006, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 43 rooms. from €80.
- La Lanterne B&B, 30 bis, rue Georges Daguerre, ☎ (508) 41 31 62, e-mail: email@example.com. 2 rooms from €35.
- Motel Rode, 27, rue Beaussant, ☎ (508) 41 37 47. Apartments from €110.
- Le Paris Madrid, 14, rue du 11 novembre, ☎ (508) 41 29 33. 12 rooms from €38.
- Residence Appart - Hôtel les Iris, 11 bis, rue Albert Briand, ☎ (508) 41 17 00, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 12 apartments and 2 rooms from €78.
- Roland Vigneau B&B, 12, rue des Basques, ☎ (508) 41 38 67, e-mail: email@example.com. 6 rooms from €40.