Pronounced "skinny atlas", the name means "Long Beautiful Lake" in Iroquois.
Skaneateles is a "drive to" destination in the Finger Lakes region of Central New York.
Auburn, New York is a small city just West of the Village and has a remarkable offering of history, theater and dining.
Although you will need a car to get here, after you are in the Village, everything is an easy walk to everything else. There is also a local airport located on Benson Road. Skaneateles is on the north shore of Skaneteles Lake. It is a storybook village with beautiful houses, a quaint downtown, and one of the cleanest lakes in the world.
The most obvious thing to see is the Lake, and fortunately it is impossible to NOT see it. The Village, population 2500, is on the Northern edge of the lake. Two public parks bookcase the very small central business block.
If you choose to drive around the lake, expect spectacular views especially if you travel South on West Lake Road (Route 41A) and return by East Lake (Route 41). It is fairly easy to seem lost at the extreme south end, just remember you are in a distinct valley. Keep your eyes on the horizon and keep going in that direction.
Mid-Lakes Navigation Company offer seasonal boat rides to see the lake. One is the morning Mail Boat Cruise which actually delivers the U.S. Mail to lakeside cottages (July 1-Tuesday after Labor Day). This is a tradition on Skaneateles Lake for over 100 years. Evenings is a fabulous Dinner Cruise, tel: 315-685-8500 or 800-545-4318 for more info on their lake and Erie Canal Cruises or vacations (ask for Aimee or Gail). Visit Mid-Lakes Navigation at 
You can stay connected with free unresrticted WIFI at Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel at , 12 Fennell Street, in the Village Center, 315-685-2333. Just sit on their porch and log in for free.
- Skaneateles Festival, multiple locations, ☎ . August. Since its beginnings in 1980, the Skaneateles chamber music festival has grown into a world-class event that attracts internationally known musicians. The 2010 festival runs from August 12 to September 4.
Skaneateles Suites has a FREE program called "Secret Places. Just stop by and see them for a kind of customized walking / driving tour of out of the way places. Much fun.  or 315-685-7568
- Dickens Christmas in Skaneateles, ☎ . Day after Thanksgiving through Sunday before Christmas: Sa Su noon-4PM; Dec 24: noon-3PM. Every weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Skaneateles is transformed into a Victorian English neighborhood. It's a kind of street theater without lines. Dozens of professionals and amateurs alike dress in period garb, then wander the streets and shops talking and walking with whomever they meet. Christmas carols, carriage rides, and chestnuts roasting on open fires can also be found throughout the season. If you get cold, stop at the Boutique Hotel on Fennell Street for complimentary hot chocolate and donuts. Often the Dickens characters hang out there and will sing anything you want. Free.
Mid-Lakes Navigation Co. 11 Jordan St. 800-545-4318. . Offers boat cruises on the New York canals and Skaneateles Lake.
Be sure to come back this summer,for the Skaneateles Antique and Classic Boat Show. Over 80 beautiful boats grace the shore of Skaneateles Lake. This event is free and open to the public.
- Mirbeau Inn and Spa, Us rt-20. Five star luxury spa and restaurant.
- Gazella Performance & Wellness Studio, 3986 Jordan Road (From the village, north on Jordan. Gazella is on the right just past the first stop sign.), ☎ . Gazella offers group exercise classes (including bootcamp, body fusion, cardio kickboxing and Zumba), yoga, pilates, TRX suspension training, personal and small group training, cycling and triathlon coaching, and nutrition and wellness counseling. One day drop-ins and weekly passes are available.
Skaneateles has over 40 unique shops and boutiques. Make sure you get off the main street (Genesee Street) and check out the shops on Jordan and Fennell Streets.
The Lucas Gallery opened on December 16th, 2007 at 33 Jordan Street right across from Joe's Pasta Garage (see below). It offers the works of local artists in sculture, painting, and photography. Open Weekends - Toll Free 1-866-77LUCAS (1-866-775-8227).
- Gallery 54, 54 East Genesee St (Overlooking the Lake), ☎ . Fine arts and fine crafts by local artists, featuring Jewelry, Ceramics, Fiber Art, Photography, Stained Glass, Oil and Watercolor Paintings…and much more!
Joe's Pasta Garage' 28 Jordan Street 315-685-6116.  has a terrific menu, all of which is "scratch" cooked by Chef Jaime.
The Krebs 53 West Genesee Street 315-685-5714.  A local establishment since 1899, the restaurant offers sea food and a mix of American cuisine. A Sunday brunch is also available. Downstairs dining is very formal, upstairs is more casual. Locals always go upstairs.
Rosalie's Cucina 841 West Genesee Street 315-685-2200.  Classic and authentic Tuscan style Italian food with complete wine cellar. Worth trip. Expensive, doesn't accept reservations.
- Dougs Fish Fry. Local fish fry mentioned in all kinds of travel magazines.
- Sherwood Inn, 26 West Genesee St, ☎ . Established in 1807, the Sherwood Inn has both a tavern and formal dining room (in addition to the upstairs guest rooms). The menu is reasonably priced Americana.
- Johnny Angels Heavenly Hamburgers, 22 Jordan St, ☎ . Su-Th 6:30AM-8:00PM F Sa 6:30AM-9:00PM. Ground Black Angus burgers; bison, Kobe, turkey, ostrich, veggie & more. Breakfast daily, beer and wine, homemade soups, salad entrees, dinner entrees.
You can get a great coffee drink at Vermont Green Mountain. The Sherwood Inn tavern offers a great fireplace to enjoy a glass of Finger Lakes wine. The Bluewater Grill has great margaritas!
- Skaneateles Suites. W. Genesee Street, 2 miles West of the Village, 315-685-7568. Choose from a variety of lodging options including a small boutique hotel, private bungalows, apartments, and vacation rentals. Long term rentals are also available.
|Routes through Skaneateles|
|Buffalo ← Auburn ←||W E||→ Jct → Sharon Springs → Albany|