St Neots (not to be confused with the village of St Neot in Cornwall) is a riverside market town just north of the border between Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire. Despite some pretty parks and a few historic buildings, St Neots offers relatively little to entice the traveller, but is a pleasant enough stopover or base for touring the region.
St Neots is served by the East Coast Main line. Regular FirstCapitalConnect trains from London stop at St Neots; express trains pass straight through.
St Neots sits at the junction of the A1 and A428. Despite being major cross country trunk routes, both are single lane in parts. The journey between Cambridge and St Neots in particular is best avoided at the beginning and end of the working day.
St Neots sits on an attractive, peaceful stretch of the River Great Ouse. Mooring and marina facilities are available.
The centre of St Neots is small and easily traversed on foot. Drivers may find the one way system in parts of the centre slightly confusing
Taxis in St Neots are expensive. Steve's Taxis have a small office on the market square
- Museum, The Old Court, 8 New Street, St Neots (Follow New Street from the north-east corner of the Market Square, the museum is on the right after 50 m), ☎ . Tuesday to Saturday, 11:00 to 16:00. See a range of local history exhibits including the old police cells. One of the prized exhibits is a hoard of Iron Age gold coins found a few miles from the town. £2, concessions £1, local inhabitants free.
- Canoe, Riverside Park, St Neots (from kiosk next to car park opposite town bridge). paddle around in the sedate waters of the Riverside Park...perhaps not offering quite the same appeal to tourists as punting in nearby Cambridge
- Golf. The nearby villages of Abbotsley and Wyboston offer excellent parkland golf courses
St Neots' large market square is host to markets every Thursday. The high street in the town centre is home to a fairly limited range of chain stores.
- Bridge House (corner of market square next to bridge). smart pub/restaurant set in a historic inn with terrace overlooking the river, has one of the best locations in the town
- Hong Kong Restaurant, 16 Market Square, St. Neots Cambs, PE19 2AF (on corner of market square), ☎ . Family-run restaurant serving Cantonese, Peking and Szechuan food
- Il Girasole, 13 South Street, St Neots, PE19 2BW (Just a few metres beyond the Market Square's south-east corner), ☎ . Monday to Saturday 11:30 till late, Sunday 12:00 to 22:30. Family-run Italian restaurant, just like eating in Italy.
St Neots has a particularly large number of pubs, dating back to the time when it was a stopover for travellers heading along the Great North Road.
- Nags Head Hotel, Berkely Street, St Neots, Cambs, PE19 2NA, ☎ . small four star hotel