Tallahassee is the capital city of Florida, in the Florida Panhandle region of the state. In addition to housing the state government, it is a university town home to Florida State University, Florida A&M University, and Tallahassee Community College. Tallahassee has a good selection of restaurants for a city of its size. The universities' theater, art, and music programs, in addition to an active Council of Culture and Arts, also make for an unusually vibrant arts scene.
- Tallahassee Regional Airport (IATA: TLH), 3300 Capital Cir SW, ☎ +1 850 891-7800. There are non-stop flights to Tallahassee Municipal Airport from several cities: Atlanta, Charlotte, DFW, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and Washington DC.
- Tallahassee is on Interstate Highway 10.
- Megabus. Service from Orlando, Gainesville, Mobile, and New Orleans. The bus stop is located at Gate 24 of the Star Transit Terminal at W Tennessee St and N Adams St.
Tallahassee is not as pedestrian-friendly as some cities. Some areas of the city are more conducive for walking than others. Downtown, Midtown and Lake Ella are probably the most picturesque and convenient for walking.
By public bus
Tallahassee’s public bus system is known as STAR Metro. The full schedule typically runs from about 6AM to 7 or 8PM during the week and about 7AM to 7PM on Saturdays. Routes and hours are limited after 7PM and on Sundays. To get anywhere other than Downtown or one of the university campuses typically requires at least one transfer.
There are several taxi companies serving Tallahassee. Outside of the airport there are not many taxi stands around the city, so it is better to call and arrange for a pick-up.
- Old State Capital museum (Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway). The state government has moved to the new skyscraper capital building nearby, and the old building has been made into a museum, restored to how it looked in 1902.
- Capital Building (Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway). The State Capitol is open Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM. Closed weekends and state holidays. Visit the 22nd floor for a panoramic view of Tallahassee. Stop on the 5th floor to see Florida's Legislative chambers.
- National High Magnet Field Laboratory, 1800 E. Paul Dirac Dr, ☎ . The NHMFL at Florida State University houses the most powerful magnets on Earth. Tours available.
- Tallahassee Museum of History and Natural Science, 3945 Museum Dr.
- Tallahassee Automobile Museum, 6800 Mahan Dr (a short drive on Interstate-10 East of the main part of the city). Large collection of classic and antique cars and other curiosities.
- The Brogan Museum, 350 S Duval St.
- Goodwood Museum & Gardens. The plantation home is now a historic house museum known as Goodwood Museum & Gardens that features original family furniture, porcelain, textiles, glassware, art and personal effects. The rooms have been decorated to appear in the years surrounding World War I. The house is visited by guided tour. The grounds cover 16 acres (65,000 m2), and the gardens also feature an early 20th-century design. Admission to the gardens is free.
- Tallahassee Skate Park, Between James Messer Fields and TalTran Administrative Offices Jackson Bluff Road at Appleyard Drive. Sunrise to Midnight. The Tallahassee Skate Park is a state-of-the art, 26,000 square foot facility designed to provide maximum enjoyment and challenge for all who utilize it.
- Lake Ella, in north central Tallahassee on US 27 just south of Tharpe Street. Lake Ella has an area of 12 acres (49,000 m²). Lake Ella is attached to 6.5 acre (26,000 m²) Fred Drake Park. The park has picnic shelters, a site for community activities and a paved walking trail that completely encircles the lake. The lake is bordered on the west side by quaint little shops and cafes. One vendor is the Black Dog Cafe where joggers can get a cup of coffee for their morning run around the trail. Visitors can walk, skate, or skateboard around the lake.
- Maclay Gardens (Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park), 3450 Thomasville Rd (In north Tallahassee near I-10 and Capital Circle), ☎ . Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park has at its heart the winter home and gardens of Maclay and his wife Louise. The house is open to the public as an interpretive museum. The surrounding gardens are known especially for their camellias and magnolias. Other than the gardens, the park offers biking, hiking and equestrian trails as well as kayaking, canoeing and fishing among other activities. The park is open all year round during most daylight hours. The gardens are open all year round 9AM-5PM.
- Governor's Square Mall, 1500 Apalachee Parkway.
- Tallahassee Mall, 2415 N. Monroe St.
- Railroad Square (Railroad Square Art Park), 567 Industrial Dr (Between the FSU and FAMU campuses on Railroad Ave.), ☎ . The Railroad Square Art Park is a collection of studios, galleries and other unique shops. On the first Friday of each month Railroad Square hosts a gallery hop called First Friday. Businesses stay open late and offer live music and even food.
- Kiku Japanese Fusion, 3491 Thomasville Road #12, ☎ .
- Sakura Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar, 1318 N Monroe St, ☎ .
- The Rice Bowl Oriental Restaurant, 3813 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Mori Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 2810 Sharer Rd # 8, ☎ .
- Osaka Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 1690 Raymond Diehl Rd, ☎ .
- Kitcho, 1415 Timberlane Rd, ☎ .
- Chou's Dynasty, 3507 Maclay Blvd. S, ☎ .
- Bahn Thai Restaurant, 1319 S. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Far East Cuisine- Vietnamese, Carriage Gate Shopping Center (Thomasville & S.R. 0352), ☎ .
- Masa, 1001 N Monroe St, ☎ .
- Jim & Milt's Bar-B-Q, 1923 W. Pensacola St, ☎ .
- Wilson's BBQ & Soul Food Cuisine, 325 N. Bronough St, ☎ .
- Angelette's Cajun Kitchen, 3551 Blair Stone Rd Suite 124.
- Craig's Killer Coffee, 1447 E. Lafayette St.
- Another Broken Egg Cafe, 3500 Kinhega Dr, ☎ .
- Coosh's Bayou Rouge Market & Eatery, 2910 Kerry Forest Parkway, ☎ .
- Carlos' Cuban Cafe, 402 E. Tennessee St, ☎ .
- Black Bean Cuban Cuisine, 2205 Apalachee Pkwy, ☎ .
- Gordo's, 1907 West Pensacola St, ☎ .
Dessert and Coffee
- Black Dog Cafe, 229 Lake Ella Dr, ☎ .
- Lucy and Leo’s Cupcakery, 1123 Thomasville Rd, ☎ .
- The Crepevine Restaurant, 2020 W Pensacola St, ☎ . Also open for breakfast.
- Albert's Provence, 1415 Timberlane Rd (Market Square), ☎ .
- Au Peche Mignon, 1415 Timberlane Rd # 109, ☎ . Coffee, tea and French pastries.
- Andrew's 228, 228 S. Adams St, ☎ .
- Cafe Cabernet, 1019 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Clusters and Hops, 707 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- The Cypress Restaurant, 320 E. Tennessee St, ☎ .
- Food Glorious Food, 1950-C Thomasville Rd (Betton Place), ☎ .
- Kool Beanz Cafe, 921 Thomasville Rd, ☎ .
- Mozaik, 1410-D Market St (The Pavilions), ☎ .
- Rice Bowl, 3813 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Urbane, 115 E Park Ave, ☎ .
- Samrat Indian Restaurant, 2529 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ .
- Essence of India, 1105 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ .
- Bella Bella, 123 E. Fifth Ave, ☎ .
- Anthony's Italian Restaurant, 1950-G Thomasville Rd, ☎ .
- Z. Bardhi's, 3596 Kinhega Dr, ☎ .
- Mom & Dad's Italian Restaurant, 4175 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ .
- Los Compadres, 2690 N Monroe St, ☎ .
- La Hacienda II, 2207 Bannerman Rd, ☎ .
- San Miguel, 200 W. Tharpe St, ☎ .
- El Tapatio, 1002 N Monroe St, ☎ .
- Barnacle Bill's Seafood Emporium, 1830 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Cabo's Island Grill and Bar, 1221 E. Lafayette St, ☎ .
- Calico Jack's Seafood House and Oyster Bar, 2745 Capital Circle N.E, ☎ .
- Crystal River Seafood, 2721 N. Monroe St, ☎ .
- Andrew's Capital Bar and Grill, 228 S. Adams St, ☎ .
- Georgio's, 3425 Thomasville Rd, ☎ .
- Ted's Montana Grill, 1954 Village Green Way, ☎ .
- Torreya Grill, 2971 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ .
- Bullwinkle's, 620 W. Tennessee St.
- Leon Pub, 215 E 6th Ave, ☎ . A smoking-friendly pub with dozens, if not hundreds, of beer selections from all over the world.
- Waterworks, 1133 Thomasville Rd, ☎ . A funky tiki bar with the occasional great live music act.
- Bajas Beachclub (at the intersection of Pensacola St and Ocala Rd). A trendy, yet sketchy, night club.
- Fermentation Lounge (All Saints District). A hip, but still down-to-earth lounge featuring a wide selection of wines and beers and even harder to find items such as mead, sangria and ciders.
- Best Western Pride Inn & Suites, 2016 Apalachee Pkwy, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 850 942-4312.
- Best Western Seminole Inn, 6737 Mahan Dr, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 850 656-6380.
- Comfort Inn, 2727 Graves Rd, ☎ , fax: +1 850 562-6335. Free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- Comfort Suites, 1026 Apalachee Pkwy, ☎ , fax: +1 850 216-0558. 100% smoke free, exercise room, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- Courtyard Tallahassee Capital, 1018 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ , fax: +1 850 561-0354.
- Econo Lodge, 809 Apalachee Pkwy, ☎ , fax: +1 850 877-2755. Pet-friendly hotel, and free high-speed Internet access in all rooms.
- Econo Lodge North, 2681 N. Monroe St, ☎ , fax: +1 850 385-6155. Pet-friendly hotel, and free high-speed Internet access in all rooms.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 1330 Blairstone Rd, ☎ , fax: +1 850 656-2033.
- Holiday Inn, 1355 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 2725 Graves R, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Select, 316 West Tennessee St, ☎ .
- Motel 6 Tallahassee - Downtown, 1027 Apalachee Parkway, ☎ , fax: +1 850 656-6120.
- Motel 6 Tallahassee North, 1481 Timberlane Rd, ☎ , fax: +1 850 894-3104.
- Motel 6 Tallahassee West, 2738 N Monroe St, ☎ , fax: +1 850 385-5616.
- Quality Inn, 3090 North Monroe St, ☎ , fax: +1 850 562-2378. Pet-friendly, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- Quality Inn & Suites, 2020 Apalachee Pkwy, ☎ , fax: +1 850 878-9964. 100% smoke free, pet-friendly, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- Ramada, 2900 North Monroe St, ☎ .
- Sleep Inn, 1695 Capital Circle N.W, ☎ , fax: +1 850 576-5788. Pet-friendly, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, 522 Silver Slipper Ln, ☎ , fax: +1 850 386-3632. Seasonal outdoor pool, and free internet access in all rooms.
- Tallahassee Microtel Inn & Suites, 3216 North Monroe S, ☎ , fax: +1 850 562-8611.
- SpringHill Suites Tallahassee Central, 1300 Executive Center Dr ,, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12noon. All-suites hotel in downtown. Spacious rooms, free hot breakfast, swimming pool, free internet, meeting facilities, and Florida vacation packages. $110.
- Apalachicola National Forest
- The Gulf coast is less than 1 hour south
- Monticello, Florida. (About 35 minutes East)
- Thomasville, Georgia. (About 30 minutes NorthEast)
- Bainbridge, Georgia. (About 30 minutes NorthWest)
- Wakulla Springs lodge 20 minutes south of Tallahassee
|Routes through Tallahassee|
|Pensacola ← Quincy ←||W E||→ Lake City → Jacksonville|
|Columbus ← Bainbridge ←||N S||→ Perry → Ocala|
|Pensacola ← Quincy ←||W E||→ Lake City → Jacksonville|
|Apalachicola ← Crawfordville ←||SW NE||→ Thomasville → Tifton|