Uppsala County is in the east of Sweden, at the Baltic Sea. It borders Stockholm County in the south, Västmanland in the west, and Gästrikland in the north, and nearly has a quadripoint with Dalarna in the north-west.
- Uppsala is a millennial university city, with Scandinavia's largest cathedral.
- Östhammar, famous for the Walloon iron industry.
- Tierp, a town between Uppsala and Gävle.
- Älvkarleby at the outlet of Dalälven River, considered the natural border to Norrland. The Dragon's Gate, a Chinese-themed hotel, can be found here.
- Knivsta, a modern suburb with prehistoric heritage.
Without tall mountains, Uppland was one of the last Swedish provinces to rise from the Baltic Sea after the Ice Age. Still in 1,500 BC, most of today's land surface was below sea level.
Though Uppland is physically young, this fertile land was the cradle of the Suiones, svear, who founded the Swedish nation around AD 1000, co-inciding with the arrival of Christianity. As first Birka and Adelsö, later Sigtuna, and then Uppsala and Stockholm, were centres of power. From the Middle Ages, Uppland was an international forerunner in metallurgy. In the early 17th century, blacksmiths from Wallonia founded several workshops around Östhammar, and forged weapons for the Swedish Empire.
Since the Industrial Revolution, Stockholm and Uppsala have grown, while the minor towns now function as extended suburbs of these cities. With nearly 1.5 million inhabitants, Uppland is Sweden's most populous province.
In contrast to other Swedish provinces, Uppland is remarkably devoid of a unifying provincial identity. Today, it is much characterized by the gap between the bustling capital in the south, and the quiet northern forests.
The search engine Resrobot can be used for all domestic public transport in the area.
- Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (Sigtuna) is Sweden's largest airport, with flights from all across Europe, North America and Asia. There are direct trains from Arlanda to Uppsala. Note that Arlanda has 3 train stations, these trains go from SkyCity between terminal 4 and 5.
- Stockholm-Bromma Airport (Stockholm/Västerort) mostly serves short-range flights. Bus to Stockholm.
Trains from Copenhagen, Oslo and Gothenburg end at Stockholm Central Station. Change train in Stockholm to go to Uppsala or Enköping. Tickets are sold by SJ. There are frequent trains from Stockholm to Uppsala, both SJ trains, and local Stockholm trains.
The architecture of and Uppsala.
Uppsala County has a large collections of palaces and castles, slott, most of them open to the public to some extent. Noblemen and industrialists built themselves buildings in rural Uppland. Uppsala has of course Uppsala Castle. Enköping has Skokloster, Grönsö, Ekolsund and Haga (not to be confused with Haga of Solna).
A maritime province, fish has been a staple of the Uppland cuisine. Today, however, wholesale of fish is done in Gothenburg.