West Greenwich is a town in Rhode Island. It is located in Kent County, and is bordered by Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, and Connecticut. It spreads across 51 square miles and is mostly rural. Despite being around for over 160 years, it’s not heavily populated, and over 45% of the land is conserved. Nevertheless, several large businesses can be found in the town of West Greenwich and there are many things to do and see.
A petition was submitted in October 1740, to Governor Richard Ward, requesting that the area that was to become West Greenwich, be set aside as a separate town. West Greenwich then separated from East Greenwich on April 6, 1741, making it officially its own town, only because of the efforts of freemen of this area. This divided West Greenwich, around 35,000 acres of land, from the empty land in the Narragansett country tract and ran to 13 residents of East Greenwich and Warwick.
West Greenwich was named for Greenwich, Kent, England.
The town hall is 102 feet long and it sits 102 feet from Route 102.
- Stepping Stone Falls, Falls River Rd, ☎ . Great trails for walking and hiking. Beautiful river and unusual rock formations. Ideal for romantic walks or family hikes.
- Arcadia Management Area, 260 Arcadia Rd, ☎ . 5AM-sunset. Open year round. Great for hiking, camping, picnicking, horesback riding, fishing, and mountain biking. Fluorescent orange requirements for everyone during hunting season. Location of the Tomaquag Museum, a Hatchery, Browning Mill and Beach Pond. BEWARE of hunting seasons.
- Hidden Meadows Farm, 120c Breakheart Hill Rd, ☎ . 200 acre farm. Wonderful place to see cattle, wild turkeys, white-tailed deer, song birds, fox and more. Great place to explore nature. All visits must be prearranged.
- Big John Leyden’s Tree Farm, 179 Plain Meeting House Rd, ☎ . This working Christmas tree farm would be an interesting sight for youngsters to see. It has hundreds of trees growing across several fields. Many varieties of Christmas trees are grown and are available for purchase towards the end of the year. Fresh-water bass fishing is also offered.
- Wickaboxet Management Area, ☎ . Contains 678 acres of forests and wetlands. A great place to view wildlife and bird-watch. Hiking trails are available, and hunting is allowed. Admission is free.
- Historical Cemeteries. West Greenwich is home to over 100 historical cemeteries. Some of these cemeteries have tombstones dating back as early as the 1700s. Many are actively maintained. Makes for a great photo opportunity for history-lovers. For listings of historic cemeteries, go to http://www.rihc.info/.
- Harmony Homestead, 85 Fry Pond Rd, ☎ . A 4 acre farm that raises Pygora goats as fleece animals. A great place to bring children who would like to see these barnyard animals. Fleece is available for purchase.
- Rhode Islands Only 24 Hour Truck and Auto Plaza, ☎ . Located at 849 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI, 02817. Location of the Classic Motor Lodge, a Touch Tone Directory, a laundry room, a truckers TV room, a store for coffee, soda, and groceries, an ATM, showers, a family restaurant, and a Restaurant & Drive Thru open 5AM – 11PM. Open for scales, parking, loads, and fuel.
- Mishnock Barn (Country Dancing), 200 Mishnock Rd, ☎ . Best country western dancing lessons in Rhode Island. Three large floating dance floors. Now offering WiFi to dance patrons. No credit cards accepted, only cash. Lessons are available. Lesson Nights are $8.00 with the exception of Thursday "Band Night", No Cover Charge. NO credit cards accepted.
- Stepping Stone Ranch, 201 Escoheag Hill Rd, ☎ . Offers lessons and trail rides for riders of any experience level. Trail rides vary in length and may or may not include lunch. Overnight outings also available, although reservations must be made in advance. Accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
- Alton Jones, 401 Victory Highway, ☎ . Situated on 2,300 acres of forests and streams, it’s home to the Whispering Pines Conference Center. Offers team-building activities led by facilitators and conference halls for large-group meetings. Recreational activities are also available, including fly-fishing, hiking, and canoes. Offers overnight lodging and meals. Internet access is also available. Open year-round.
- Big River Management Area, ☎ . Sprawling over 8,319 acres, this vastly forested territory is also home to wetlands and several large rivers. It is an ideal location for wildlife viewing and bird-watching. A hiking trail and bird-watching trail are both available. Hunting and mountain biking are allowed. Admission is free.
- Oak Embers Campground, 219 Escoheag Hill Rd, ☎ . Self-described as a friendly family campground. Offers areas for both tenting and RVing. Internet connection, pool, basketball area, restrooms, hot showers, and laundry are available. Prices vary based on numbers of campers and ages, type of camping (RV versus tent), and camp site features chosen. Reservations needed. No pets or fireworks allowed.
- Tillinghast Pond Management Area (located off Plain Meeting House Road). Contains various trails, a historical cemetery, and a variety of animals and plants spread across 1,800 acres. Public fishing areas and a canoe launch are available. Open from 1 hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. No horseback riding, pets or biking allowed on trails.
- Dan's Place, 880 Victory Highway, ☎ . Live entertainment with different local bands on certain nights.
- Tomaquag Museum, ☎ . An Indian Memorial Museum open 11-4 on Mondays and Fridays and open for appointments and research classes if you call in advance. Beware, it is very difficult to find.
- West Greenwich Plazza. Located on 102, this plaza has both places to eat and places to shop. You can chose from two different places to get your hair cut. The Mini Market is located within the liquor store. Do not go to the Lotus Garden unless you want to wait a long time for mediocre food. Dan’s Place used to be located here, until they upgraded to a larger building just down the road. The Dunkin’ Donuts is a separate building compared to all the others, which are attached.
- Big River Spirits. A local liquor store located on 6 Nooseneck Hill Road
- Uptown Girls Boutique (45 Nooseneck Hill Road (Exit 6 Plaza)). A little store meant for women to go to and buy clothing.
- Tanning Asis (45 Nooseneck Hill Road (Exit 6 Plaza)). Want to look good for wandering around West Greenwich? Go tanning and pretend you went to a beach all summer.
- L.C. Nail Salon (45 Nooseneck Hill Road (Exit 6 Plaza)), ☎ . L.C. Nail Salon: Want to make your nails all fancy before heading out to a nice dinner? Come here!
- Peti Coat Junction (45 Nooseneck Hill Road (Exit 6 Plaza)), ☎ . Peti Coat Junction: Bought your pet along for a vacation too? How about you treat them to some relaxation too and get them a nice trim.
There are three different locations for Dunkin' Donuts in West Greenwich alone.
- Dan's Place (Dan's Pizza), 880 Victory Highway, ☎ . Every day 11:30AM-1AM. Full restaurant and bar right off highway 95. Fresh food served quickly. Friendly staff and fun atmosphere. $3.95-$15.95.
- Dunkin Donuts, 780 Victory Hwy West, ☎ . 4AM-10PM. Rhode Island's favorite coffee stop. Great coffee, donuts, and bagels. Quick service and friendly staff.
- Tim Hortons, 74 Nooseneck Hill Rd, ☎ . Great coffee, hot chocolate, donuts, etc. Also offers Coldstone ice cream.
- Subway, 780 Victory Highway, ☎ . Sandwich shop that offers subs, salads, and sides. Staff can create custom sandwiches or guests can select a specific sandwich off a menu. Offers a breakfast and kids’ menu.
- Tommy's Place. Open 7 days a week, it is located ay RI’s Only 24 hour Truck and Auto Plaza. 849 Victory Highway, right off Exit 5B off I95. Not available for order out through the phone, but you can order out from inside.
- Best Western West Greenwich Inn, 99 Nooseneck Hill Rd, ☎ , fax: +1 401-397-7185. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. No pets allowed. Indoor heated pool, hot tub, and fitness center available. Beautiful and spacious rooms with pillow top mattresses.
- Super 8 West Greenwich, 101 Nooseneck Hill Rd, ☎ . Free parking, local phone calls up to 30 min, and wireless high speed internet for staying guests. Satellite TVs with 3 HBO channels. Close to many restaurants and attractions.
- Residence Inn Providence Coventry, 755 Centre of New England Blvd, ☎ . Each room includes high-speed Internet, housekeeping, dry-cleaning services, a kitchen, and more. An indoor heated pool, fitness center, and library are also available. Pets allowed. Handicap accessible.
- Classic Motor Lodge, 859 Victory Highway (Located off of Exit 5B off I-95), ☎ . Has cable television, air conditioning, refrigerator, and more. Completely wheelchair accessible.
- J.C's Tavern (off 95 exit 6 plaza behind dunkin donuts), nooseneck hill rd (off 95 exit 6 plaza), ☎ . A nice Bar and grill type of place great food at low prices visit them soon
The Town Hall of West Greenwich is located at 280 Victory Highway. Phone: +1 401-392-3800, Fax: +1401-392-3805.
RIPTA Park-n-Ride service, Exit 7 lot (New London Ave & I-95), Bus Rte. #90 W. This service provides a free, designated parking lot for transit commuters and carpoolers who are using a RIPTA bus to travel to a different part of Rhode Island. For more information on bus schedules for this Park-n-Ride location, contact RIPTA at +1 401-781-9400. http://www.ripta.com/
|Routes through West Greenwich|
|New Haven ← Richmond ←||S N||→ West Warwick → Providence|