Whitianga is a beach town on the eastern coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, on the north-eastern coast of the North Island of New Zealand. Whitianga provides an excellent base from which to explore the east coast beaches and is a popular tourist destination for local and overseas visitors.
- Coromandel, Historic town
- Tairua. A very scenic location.
- Hahei, including Cathedral Cove.
- Hot Water Beach, a beach with two hot springs emerging under the sands, meaning visitors can dig their own hot pool. A popular and busy tourist destination, visitors are advised to arrive an hour or two before low tide, when the springs emerge from the receding tide. Hot Water Beach is signposted from the road south of Whitianga.
Intercity Coachlines operate NZ's national bus network with daily departures. Tickets can be purchased online or throughout the country at numerous agents inlcuding the i-site network.
Cathedral Cove where the 2nd Chronicles of Narnia Film was filmed. Be sure to take your camera you will recognize the arch!
- Banana Boat, ☎ . Run by Steve and Kali Young at Buffalo Beach. Everyday between Boxing Day and 1 February. Fall off on the Hellbender or take the more relaxing Scenic ride. Great Value! $10-$30.
Be sure to bring a sweater. It can be chilly sometimes. Also try to book in advance if there is anything you really want to do.