Bremerhaven is a small, but beautiful town in the state of Bremen in northwestern Germany. It is famous for its large harbour, which once was the biggest in Germany where all overseas ships arrived and left. Political part of Bremen, Bremerhaven is geographically separated and surrounded by the federal-state of Lower Saxony.
- About 50 km north of Bremen, Bremerhaven was founded only in the 19th Century as a new port of the hanseatic city. Bremerhaven means literally in English Bremener Haven/Harbour.
- Nowadays Bremerhaven retains its function as an important international harbour covering large area north of the city.
- Bremerhaven is a city of modern science: several scientific institutions lead by Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research are based in Bremerhaven.
- Fine selection of museums, galleries, family activities, events and shopping makes Bremerhaven an increasingly attractive tourist spot at German North Sea coast.
Bremerhaven has its own airport, with regular connections to surrounding islands. The nearest bigger airport is in Bremen.
Bremerhaven can easily reached by car from Bremen, via the A27 northbound, if you take exit 10 from the A27 you can follow the road directly to the Fishdock (Fischereihafen).
Take exit 10 from the A27, there are 2 wohnmobilstellplatz (parking for campers) in the town, both are very good, one at the Fishdock and the other a 10 min walk from the town centre. Both places are signposted.
- Overseas Harbour with its big ships and the huge container and car storages.
- Schifffahrtsmuseum (Museum of sea travel). Includes entry into some ships and even a submarine. This must be one of the best ship museums around, not all models, they have examples of real ships including some pioneering designs. Well worth a visit.
- Zoo am Meer. Is the smallest public Zoo in Germany
- Deutsches Auswandererhaus (German Emigration Center). Dedicated to the history of German emigration, especially to the United States.
- Take a trip to Helgoland .
- Take a harbour tour.
- Visit the Weser Lido which is located in the city center.
- Climate House, At 8 Degrees Longitude (Just head for the ATLANTIC SAIL hotel you cant miss it, next to the Ship museum.). Visitors can travel the virtual line of 8 degrees longitude in a single day and experience a wide variety of climate zones along the way. Be prepared to queue as this attraction is very popular once inside it can take you all day to see everything. Well worth a visit.
- Mediterraneo (next to the ship museum and Climate House). The newest shopping centre in Bremerhaven some nice shops to browse in, a nice setting.
- High Street, The main shopping area of Bremerhaven is a wide pedestrian area with all the named shops you would expect to find in a German town C&A, Saturn, H&M etc plus some lesser known shops. Never crowded it has a very relaxed atmosphere. You can also access the Columbus shopping centre from here, a little like a small American shopping mall complete with a food court.
- Schaufenster Fischereihafen. For the excellent local seafood.
- Paprika. Balkan, Verdener Straße 21, ☎ . Good Balkan food, don't try the platter unless you are really hungry.
- Natusch (Natusch Fischereihafen-Restaurant), Am Fischbahnhof 1.
A lot of small bars are located at the Alte Bürger.
- Bremerhaven. Stellplatz Doppelschleuse, An der Neuen Schleuse (take exit 10 from the A27 and follow signs for the airport, about 2 km past the airport the site is on your right immediately after a set of lights (the stellplatz is in a hollow so is hard to spot until you have gone past the turning)). 10 min walk into town. 30 min walk to the Fishdock. Power on most plots, Toilets, showers and water all available. 51 Pitches (5 x 8 M); 12 Pitches (6 x 9 M), power connection, service house with toilets, showers, unloading and supply station, waste disposal, daily bread delivery service by the Court Service, tourist Info terminal.
- Bremerhaven. Reisemobil-Parkplatz Fischkai, Fischereihafen 1 (take exit 10 from the A27 and follow signs), ☎ . About a 30 min walk into the city centre. 47 Pitches (5 x 8 m); power connection, service station with WC, showers, fresh water, disposal, holding separator (floor drain), waste disposal, daily bread delivery service.
- Atlantic Sail City Hotel. Next to The Climate House & Ship Museum.
- Comfort Hotel, Am Schaufenster 7 (A27 exit 10 then follow the signs for the Fishdock). In the Fishdock area, only a 2 min walk away from some really good sea food restaurants. About a 20 min walk into the city centre.
- The numerous beaches around the town are worth a visit, especially the ones in Dorum Neufeld , or Wremen.
- Go further north to Cuxhaven or explore the North Sea.
|Routes through Bremerhaven|
|Cuxhaven ← Nordholz ←||N S||→ Osterholz-Scharmbeck → Walsrode|