- For other places with the same name, see Halle (disambiguation).
Halle is the largest city in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany with a population of 233,700. It is best known as the birthplace of the composer George Frideric Handel (German: Georg Friedrich Händel), who later went on to a successful career in London.
Leipzig/Halle Airport (IATA: LEJ) , sometimes called Schkeuditz Airport, is 30 km away from central Halle. The airport is the second biggest airport in Eastern Germany after Berlin. Trains run between the airport and the city every 30 minutes; the trip takes 11 minutes and costs €4.20.
The following airlines operate service to/from Leipzig/Halle Airport (winter timetable 2013/14):
Aegean Airways (Rhodes) - Air Berlin (Antalya, Arecife, Djerba, Enfidha, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Heraklion, Hurghada, Corfu, Kos, Lamezia Terme, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Marsa Alam, Palma de Mallorca, Tenerife-South) - Air Via (Varna) - Atlasjet International (Antalya) - Austrian Airlines (Vienna) - Bulgarian Air Charter (Varna) - Cairo Air (Hurghada) - Condor (Agadir, Antalya, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Heraklion, Hurghada, Kos, Larnaca, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Marsa Alam, Palma de Mallorca, Rhodes, Tenerife-South) - Croatia Airlines (Dubrovnik, Split) - Darwin Airlines (Amsterdam-Schiphol, Paris-Charles de Gaulle) - Freebird Airlines (Antalya) - Germanwings (Cologne/Bonn, Stuttgart) - Germania (Antalya, Fuerteventura, Heraklion, Moscow-Domodedovo, Rhodes) - Hamburg Airways (Antalya) - Lufthansa (Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich) - Neos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) - Nouvelair (Djerba, Enfidha) - Onur Air (Antalya) - Pegasus Airlines (Antalya) - Ryanair (Faro, London–Stansted), Malaga, Pisa, Rome–Ciampino, Trapani) - Sky Airlines (Antalya) - SunExpress (Antalya, Gazipasa), Hurghada, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Luxor, Marsa Alam, Santa Cruz/La Palma, Sharm-el-Sheikh), Taba, Teneriffa) - TUIfly (Antalya, Fuerteventura, Heraklion, Rhodes) - Tunis Air (Djerba, Enfidha) - Turkish Airlines (Istanbul) -
Berlin's airports are just one hour away by train and offer more options.
Deutsche Bahn operates regular train service between Halle and nearby cities such as Leipzig (€9, 25 minutes), Magdeburg (€16, 50 minutes), Erfurt (€19, 80 minutes), Jena (€16, 75 minutes), Weimar (€16, 60 minutes), Dessau (€11, 50 minutes), Lutherstadt Eisleben (€7, 30 minutes), Lutherstadt Wittenberg (€12, 30 minutes), Potsdam (€40, 2 hours), and Berlin (€37, 75 minutes). High speed express trains are available via Leipzig to major cities in Germany including Frankfurt (€72, 3.5 hours), Munich (€89, 5 hours), Hamburg (€74, 3.5 hours), and Dresden (€34, 2 hours). Prague (€58, 5 hours) can be reached with an additional transfer in Dresden.
From Leipzig, take the A14 west to the B100.
Hallesche Verkehrs-AG (HAVAG) operates the local surface street tram. It passes most major attractions downtown and will take you to and from the main train station. Tickets are available at the office in the Marktplatz, from vending machines or from the drivers. 1-hour tickets cost €1.50 if bought from a vending machine, or €1.70 if bought from the driver. Day passes cost €4.
- Marktkirche Unser Lieben Frauen. The place where Luther preached. Contains Luther's death mask. Handel was baptized here. Church: Free; Luther exhibit: €2.
- Händel-Haus Halle, Große Nikolaistraße 5. The house where Georg Friedrich Händel was born. Displays his works, letters, manuscripts. Adult: €4; Student: €2.
- Burg Giebichenstein, Seebener Strasse 1 (Take tram 7 or 8 to Burg Giebichenstein). Old Castle that's now been converted into an art school. Is right on the Saale river. Great views of the city.
- Kunstmuseum Moritzburg, Friedemann-Bach-Platz 5 (take a tram from Marktplatz to Moritzburgring. Go left down Moritzburgring). Castle which has now been converted into a great art museum. Has exhibits which include works by Klimt, Ernst, and Klee. Highlights include Lyonel Feininger's paintings of famous Halle landmarks. Adult: €5; Student: €3.
- Neustadt (take tram 2). The township built by the GDR in the 80s to house chemical plant workers. It is a poignant example of East German architecture.
- Halloren Schokoladen-Museum, Delitzscher Straße 70. The Halloren Chocolate Factory is the oldest in Germany. The origins date back to the founding of a honey cake bakery in 1804.
- Beatles Museum, Alter Markt 12. W-Su 10AM-8PM. Three floors of memorabilia owned by fan Rainer Moers. Adult: €5.
- Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte (Halle), Richard-Wagner-Straße 9 (Take tram 7 towards Kröllwitz, stop Landesmuseum). Tue-Fri: 9AM - 5PM; Sat, Sun, Holidays: 10AM - 6PM. The State Museum of Prehistory is the archaeological museum of Saxony-Anhalt with Nebra Sky disk and Eulau family graves as highlights. Adult: €5; children: €2.50.
- Franckesche Stiftungen, Franckeplatz (Take tram 4, 7 or 9 from main station, stop Franckeplatz), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tue-Sun: 10AM-5PM. The Francke Foundations are a unique ensemble of historical school buildings dating back to the age of enlightenment (founded 1698); the buildings today house departments of Halle University, several schools and other cultural and social institutions. Highlights are the baroque Cabinet of Artefacts and Curiosities and the Historical Library. Occasionally concerts, lectures and conferences. Adult: €6; children: free.
- Reederei Riedel River Tours. Hourly from 10AM-6PM, except Mondays. Runs 45-minute river tours. Adult: €5.
- Handel Festival. In the second week of June.
Leipziger Straße is the main shopping street in downtown Halle. It branches off of the Southeast corner of the Marktplatz. There you will find many retail shops and chain fast food restaurants.
Make sure you try some döner kebap. It's heavily Germanized Turkish food. Halle has some of the best döner in Germany.
- DINEA Café & Restaurant Halle, Marktplatz 20 (on the upper floor of the Kaufhof department store). Mon-Sat 9:30AM-8PM. Self-service restaurant with view over market square. Offers breakfast, cold and hot lunch buffet, daily specials, cakes. 4-9€.
- NT Cafe, Große Ulrichstraße 51. Artsy place affiliated with the Neues Theater (New Theatre). €3-9.
- Ökoase, Kleine Ulrichstraße 2. Vegetarian restaurant popular among the hippie crowd. Try the arabic tomato soup, Greek vegetable stew, or Swiss chard coconut soup. €5-12.
- Palais S, Ankerstraße 3c. Waterfront terrace. Serves everything from pasta to schnitzel to steak. €7-14.
- Sushifreunde am Opernhaus, August-Bebel-Straße 3. Has an all-you-can-eat special on Tuesday and Sunday nights for €16.
- Sushi und Wok Bar, Bernburger Straße 16. Select your ingredients that get put into your stir fry. €5-11.
- Schad, Reilstraße 10 (Take tram 7, 8, 12, 6, 0r 3 to Reileck). Great German restaurant and private brewery that boasts having served Mikhail Gorbachev.
Bars and pubs
- Café Noire, Kleine Ulrichstraße 30. It is by far the best bar/cafe on Kleine Ulrichstraße.
- Hallesches Brauhaus, Große Nikolaistraße 2. Brewery that also serves good food.
- Lucy's, Burgstrasse 49 (Take tram 8 to Volkspark). Great bar that has lots of live pub music.
- Charivari, Kaulenberg 1. Karaoke club.
- Klub Drushba, Kardinal-Albrecht-Straße 6. Indie club with good dance parties.
- Objekt 5, Seebener Strasse 5 (Take the 7 or 8 to Burg Giebichenstein and it's a short walk from there). Great indie club and cafe. Folk and rock music and good food.
- Potemkin, Kleine Ulrichstrasse 27.
- Turm, Friedeman-Bach-Platz 5. Student club. Techno, house, hip-hop, drum & bass.
- CityStation Hostel, Raffineriestraße 16 (Tram 2, 12 or bus 99 to Pfännerhöhe), ☎ . Dorm bed: €16; Single: €25.
- Hostel No5, Robert-Franz-Ring 5 (Tram 10, 11, 94 or bus 91 to Ankerstraße), ☎ . Dorm bed: €13; Single: €21.
- Jugendherberge Halle, August-Bebel-Straße 48a (Tram 3, 7, 8 to Hermannstraße), ☎ , e-mail: JH-Halle@djh-sachsen-anhalt.de. Located in an old villa in the city center. Dorm bed: €16.50; Single: €21.50; Bed linens: €3.50; €3 surcharge if 27 or older.
- Ankerhof Hotel, Ankerstrasse 2a (Tram 10, 11, 94 or bus 91 to Ankerstraße), ☎ . Former Royal Customs Office. Gym and saunas. Some rooms have river view. $87-116.
- Apart-Hotel Halle, Kohlschütterstraße 5 (Tram 6 to Adolfstraße), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Really nice murals in the suites. Sauna. Single: €72; Double: €89.
- Best Western Grand City Hotel Halle, Neustädter Passage 5 (Tram 2, 9, 10, 11 or bus 21, 34, 91 to Zentrum Neustadt), ☎ , toll-free: . (reservation)€41-56.
- City Hotel am Wasserturm, Lessingstraße 8 (Tram 6, 12, 95 to Lessingstraße), ☎ . $106.
- Dorint Charlottenhof Halle / Saale, Dorotheenstraße 12 (Tram 2, 4, 7, 9, 12 to Riebeckplatz), ☎ . 4 star hotel that caters to the business crowd. Pool, gym, sauna. €57-108. Breakfast: €15.
- Dormero Hotel Rotes Ross, Leipziger Straße 76 (Tram 4, 7, 9 or bus 91, 97, 99 to Am Leipziger Turm), ☎ . 4-star hotel aimed mostly towards business travelers. Feels like a small Grand Hotel and the rooms are very individually decorated. Has a small fitness room, a sauna, and a whirlpool in the basement. Breakfast buffet includes selection of cheese, sausage, breads, cereals, and fruits. Italian restaurant and 24-hour room service €52-€113.
- Dormotel Europa Halle, Delitzscher Straße 17, (S7 or tram 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 or bus 30, 43 to Hauptbahnhof), ☎ . €39-55.
- Esprit Hotel, Torstraße 7 (Tram 1, 3, 6, 8, 11, 95 or bus 30, 97, 99 to Rannischer Platz), ☎ . €42-60.
- Hotel am Steintor, Krukenbergstraße 29 (Tram 2, 12 to Magdeburger Straße), ☎ . €35-49.
- Hotel Atlas Halle, Delitzscher Straße 32 (Tram 7, 10 or bus 44, 91 to Freiimfelder Straße), ☎ . $59 - $99.
- Hotel Eigen, ☎ . €69.
- Hotel Marthahaus, Adam-Kuckhoff-Straße 5 (Tram 6, 10 to Stadtbad), ☎ . Run by a Christian mission. Soft carpet, well furnished, stained glass windows in the lounge. Beautiful dining hall. Single: €45-60; Double: €65-85.
- Hotel Schweizer Hof, Waisenhausring 15, ☎ .
- Hotel Westfalia Halle, Grenzstraße 35 (Tram 10, 94 or bus 32, 91, 97 to Betriebshof Freiimfelder Straße), ☎ . €38-50.
- Maritim Hotel Halle, Riebeckplatz 4 (Tram 2, 4, 7, 9, 12 to Riebeckplatz), ☎ . €53-96.
- Ramada Leipzig Halle, Hansaplatz 1, (1km from Zöberitz train station), ☎ . $54-81.
- Internetcafe Speed, Am Bauhof 1. €3 per hour.