Road Grand Trunk Road or National Highway No 1 passes by Kurukshetra. So it is easy to reach by the road from Amritsar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, New Delhi. There is also direct connectivity to Haridwar and Patiala.
The Grand Truck Road(GT Road) also known as NH-1 runs through Kurukshetra(The Land of Mahabharta). It's approximately 150 km north of New Delhi and 90km south of Chandigarh. You can catch a bus from Chandigarh ISBT and Delhi ISBT.
You can catch a bus to Kurukshetra from Indraparasth bus station in New Delhi. You can get a bus from Kashmiri Gate Bus station. Kurukshetra is 150 km from Delhi. Traveling from Delhi to Karnal by a bus takes normally 3 to 4 hours depending on the traffic conditions in city range of Delhi.
Train to Kurukshetra can be taken from either New Delhi Railway Station or from Old Delhi railway station, and Nizzamuddin as well. Train takes two and half hours to reach Kurukshetra from Delhi. And is taken a passenger train it takes 3 to 4 long hours in this case.
Auto-rishaws (Three-wheelars, shared, are the only available option to move around the city.
*Brahm-sarovar The memoirs of Al Beruni, called 'Kitab-ul-Hind' mentions this sacred water tank. The water tank is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is said in the scriptures that the holiness of performing 'Ashvamedh Yajna' can be achieved by a dip in this sacred water tank. This place is believed to be the land where civilization was born. Lord Brahma is said to have created the universe from this land. Just in the vicinity of this sacred place are the Birla Gita Mandir and Baba Nath's haveli. The sight of Kurukshetra is exquisite especially in winters when birds migrate from ever different landmasses to take a dip in the waters. This beautiful looks all the attractive during the 'Deep Daan' and Aarti during Gita Jayanti in the later November and early December.
- Sanhit-Sarovar Situated at a distance of 3 km from Kurukshetra Railway Station on Pehowa Road, Sannihit Sarovar is believed to be the permanent abode of Lord Vishnu. It is believed that entire range of Tirthas assemble here on the Amavas day and if a man performs Shradhs at the time of solar eclipse and takes bath in this tank, he acquires the fruit of 1000 Ashwamedh sacrifices. The tank is 500 yard in length and 150 yards in breath. Pilgrims are led first to this holy spot at the time of solar eclipse. The idols of Lord Vishnu, Druv Bhagat, Lord Hanuman and Goddess Durga are placed here. Pilgrims also visit to Pandas and Tirath. Purohits who have their offices on the banks of Sannhit Sarovar, keeping the records hundreds of years old of the pilgrims coming from various parts of the country. People come here for Shradhs of their ancestors.
- Sthanswer Mandir
- Bhadra kali Mandir
- Birla Mandir
- Panorma Science museum
- Krishna Museum
- Harsh ka tilla
- Harshwardhan park
- Sheikh Chilli Tomb
- Jindal Park
- Chatti Patshahi Gurudwara Sikh Gurus have visited Kurukshetra from time to time. Pilgrims go to the Pnadas of their area and sign in their register after taking a bath.
- kalpana chawla planetarium
- bhor crocodile park
- mini zoo near pipli
For a one day trip:
- Take a dip in Bharam sarovar
- See the temples around
- Go for Jyotiser
- See the big Mahabartha Painting in panorma
- Go for Sheikh chili tomb and harsh ka tilla
- Have rest and in Jindal park and enjoy Musical fountain
- Have Bhadr kali darshan in the evening
- Have Sthaneshwar shiv ji darshan also
- Hot millions-sec 17
- Domino's pizza-sec-17
- chats around bramha sarovar and main city(thanesar)
- multicuisine at Mezbaan, Safron
- Chicken items at samrat barbecue (only packing)
- Chole Bhature on Railway Road
- Poori with petha and chole in old city (near ambedkar chowk)
- University Cafeteria for south Indian cuisine
Parakeet resort(Haryana Tourism) serves hard drinks
The city has several cinema halls with the classical single screen format.The city has single Mall named kessel with 3 screen multiplexes
There are many dharmshalas for a budget accommodations, a few are:
- Brahman Dharamshala, near old bus stand.
- Saini Samaj Bhavan
- Jat Dharmashala, near Birla Mandir.
- Agarwala Dharamshala, near railway station.
For a better accommodation hotels are:
- Parakeet,A government one near Pipli.