Notodden is a town and municipality (kommune) in Telemark County, in East Norway. The population of the town is 9,000, and that of the whole municipality is 12,000. Heddal is a village in the municipality, not far from the town of Notodden. The town is on the shore of Heddalsvatnet lake. The Tinn (Tinnelva) river runs through the town into the lake, and the Heddøla river runs past Heddal and the airport into the lake.
Notodden is 113 km from Oslo and the drive time is 1 hour 45 minutes.
The easiest way to get from Oslo is by bus. TIMEkspressen  runs to Notodden every hour around the clock all year. It takes about 2 hours 15 minutes.
Notodden is a hub for local and regional buses running in all directions in the municipality and further afield, such as to the town of Rjukan.
Bergen Air has a flight from Bergen to Notodden every day. Airwing has a daily flight from Stavanger. The airport is just west of the town centre.
The Oslo to Bergen train is a bit tricky, but nice. Look up NSB, the national train company.
It is possible to come from the south up the Telemark Canal into Heddalsvatnet lake.
- The industrial park nominated for the UNESCO world heritage list.
- Industrial history museum - Hydro Museum (Bedriftshistorisk samling - Hydromuseet).
- Norsk Hydro: Administrative building - where it all started in 1905.
- Telemark Art Gallery (Telemarksgalleriet).
- Notodden church and its gardens.
- Heddal Stave Church (Heddal stavkyrkje), Heddal (a few km west from Notodden town centre, past the airport). 9am–6pm, 20 Jun – 20 Aug 2013; 10am–5pm, shoulder season. The biggest stave church (a medieval wooden church) in Norway. Guided tours in English are included in the entrance fee. Reservations recommended. 65 NOK for church and nearby museum, 15 Jun – 15 Aug 2013.
- Heddal Museum, 300m from the stave church. Based on a rural village. Includes an exhibition about the church. Kafé Olea has meals and souvenirs.
- Notodden Blues Festival. July/August every year. Aims to be the best blues festival in Europe. Extra train services may be run on the weekend of the festival.