|This article was the Collaboration of the week between 21 May 2007 and 27 May 2007.|
austin city limits' studio will soon be moving to somewhere downtown as part of the new city hall project.
I reformatted this page to work a little more like the Manual of style. There's still a lot to do, though. Most of the attraction listings need vital details and reformatting, for example. --(WT-en) Evan 01:22, 13 Jan 2004 (EST) Austin City Limits will be moving to the W Hotel on 2nd Street. It should be opening in December 2010
I Austin big enough to really need a list of the "districts"? I've lived here three years and I'm not sure where some of them are.
- I agree, the districts won't be useful to travelers as most locals don't know them. I've lived in Austin for 14 years and I'm not familiar with Pemberton Heights, Swisher Addition, or Tenth Ward.
- Agreed, I don't see a point to the districts section. (WT-en) Jordanmills 23:00, 21 April 2006 (EDT)
- "10th Ward" is an archaic term for the neighborhood around Holly Street east of IH-35. I think the "East Austin" section cover this area sufficiently. Likewise, the "Swisher Addition" is part of today's Travis Heights. I will delete the districts that link to blank pages. 22.214.171.124 11:37, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
So then Austin is compact enough that everything should just go on the main Austin page? I haven't been there, but I kinda doubt it, isn't Austin sort of big, enough so to at least split it into NWS&E? One way or the other something should happen here, either the current couple of district pages should be incorporated back into the main Austin page, or vice-versa... the pages sort of feel in limbo at at the moment... Anyone in the know want to fix this page up? (WT-en) Cacahuate 03:45, 10 December 2006 (EST)
- Alright, I've tried to clean up the districts a bit and merge some, I don't think Austin needed that many, at least not yet. I'm unclear on the North though... Can "UT& the drag", Northwest Austin, North Loop and Hyde Park all be merged into "North Austin"? Or is there just way to much to see to fit into one article? Or should UT & the drag be merged into Downtown? Anyone out there know Austin well? – (WT-en) cacahuate talk 15:30, 16 August 2008 (EDT)
Austin is not a huge city. (period) you can walk around in one day.--126.96.36.199 12:10, 25 July 2009 (EDT)
Austin is a pretty good size city. There aren't distinct districts, however, N,S,E,& W will be suitable for Austin.
I think there's more value in noting significant neighborhoods, particularly in the denser areas surrounding downtown. Travis Heights, Soco, Zilker Heights, Clarksville, Warehouse District, Hyde Park, etc. 188.8.131.52 18:35, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
I think "East Austin" is commonly spoken within Austin, "I bought my car in South Austin" "Let's go to Downtown Austin (6th Street)"
When I put a link off-site to restaurants, I was told that's not kosher. Should the link to the list of vegetarian restaurants be removed? (WT-en) Chip 20:41, 13 Jul 2004 (EDT)
- It's been a long time since this question was asked, but here's the answer. We want to have the information right here on the page, rather than having a link. This is mainly so that a traveller can just print out the page and have everything they need to see your city. -- (WT-en) Mark 04:39, 13 Feb 2005 (EST)
The info about Mount Bonnell is incorrect. Mount Barker is the highest point in Austin at 840ft above sea level
- It's actually closer to Round Rock. We really only do that slash-format for neighborhoods, not for suburbs or satellite cities. So, please don't. --(WT-en) Evan 10:01, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
- OK --(WT-en) NJR_ZA 10:22, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
I added a local beer section under alcohol. It need to be rearranged, but I won't have the time till later. Also, wine is pretty important to the area. Being a beer person, I know little about local wine offerings. I figured I'd solicit such additions here. (WT-en) Jordanmills 15:43, 25 April 2007 (EDT)
I like the beer section, and added to it with a list of brewpubs in the city. I probably forgot about somebody though. (WT-en) Mrkstvns 22:07, 25 April 2008 (CDT)
Borders. . .
Hi there! Well I was wondering as like I will try and edit and move Austonian stuff from main to districts, if someone could put in all the districts borders, as I've never been there, I'd liek to know so I know like where certain ones go, based on addresses. If at least, you could say most-to-all of the neighbourhoods. Please and thanks! Keep smiling, (WT-en) Edmontonenthusiast 15:59, 2 November 2008 (EST).
UT and the Drag
- Let's hold off on this. They are two distinct areas, and though it may not have had any info in it yet, I think there are definitely enough things to go in there, just nobody has done the work for it yet. I'll see what I can come up with. (WT-en) Texugo 23:56, 11 November 2008 (EST)
- The section of Guadalupe St. lying to the west of the UT campus and running from MLK at its south end north to 29th St. is "the Drag" and is replete with restaurants, stores, and coffeehouses. Rather than any "Drag and UT area," the area on and West of the drag and East of Lamar Blvd. is "West Campus," dense with high-rise housing, and is seen as distinct from the University of Texas at Austin (UT). The first three or four blocks South of the main UT Campus (South of MLK to 15th street, West of Guadalupe and East of Pearl Street are referred to as "UT area." An eight-story UT campus building with its parking garage occupies a block on the east edge of this "UT area," from 16th to 17th Street and from Guadalupe to San Antonio street.
- The area lying north of the University of Texas is often referred to as "North Campus. Hyde park is an undefined area toward the north and Eastern ends of "North Campus," maybe north of 34th Street or East of Speedway and north of 32nd St. There is no sharp boundary, in part because shuttle buses from the University run through the middle of the area on Speedway on the way to UT's Intramural Fields. The pleasant older neighborhood East of Guadalupe and west of Duval from 38th to 45th is "the Avenues."
184.108.40.206 01:54, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, when Austin has the number of "district" articles which it currently does, then various neighborhoods will inevitably be lumped together. I've edited the "UT and the Drag" article to make clear that it it includes West Campus and North University. The "North Loop" article also appears to include Crestview and north Burnet. The Hyde Park neighborhood association has a quite exact geographical definition of Hyde Park, and you have to live within a few hundred feet of its borders to be allowed to become a member... AnonMoos (talk) 16:05, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
- I am trying to work on it- but it's difficult never been there. Keep smilign,(WT-en) ee talk 00:12, 12 November 2008 (EST).
- My sister lives there, and I've been there more times than I can remember. (WT-en) Texugo 00:49, 12 November 2008 (EST)
- Best city in Texas by far. (WT-en) Texugo 06:05, 13 November 2008 (EST)
The links for Kiss and Fly and Charlie's don't work anymore. 220.127.116.11 21:24, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
- I have removed them. You can of course plunge forward and remove everything yourself :-) Globe-trotter (talk) 21:51, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
I think the Rundberg safety advice needs to be made more precise. The busy Rundberg/Lamar intersection is a little downscale, but usually safe enough, and parts of Rundberg street west of Lamar are quite ordinary. The neighborhood is not the same as the street after which it's named... AnonMoos (talk) 16:05, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
- P.S. For the city of Austin's definition of the Rundberg problem area, see http://austintexas.gov/restorerundberg ... AnonMoos (talk) 16:27, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
43rd and Duval bench
Not sure why this is given such a big write-up; I don't see people gathered there when I pass by. Anyway, it's closer to Julio's Cafe than to Quackenbush's... AnonMoos (talk) 07:52, 10 March 2015 (UTC)