Voss is a village and a district in Hordaland, between the great fjords of Sogn and Hardanger. Voss is known to be the adventure capital of Norway. Voss is also the major winter destination in Hordaland with two ski ski centres and long skiing traditions. In Voss you are surrounded by rivers, mountains, fjord and lakes, and you can choose from a wide range of challenges - at all levels.
If you are planning a vacation in Fjord Norway, you should consider Voss to be your base. From Voss you can easily reach both the Sognefjord and the Hardangerfjord in less than 1 hour. In the area you will also find a wide range of activity providers - including rafting, paragliding, mountain walking and guided excursions. Year-round there is a lot of cultural events, the most famous being The Extreme Sports Week - the worlds biggest extreme sports festival.
Voss has a long history, and have been welcoming international tourists for almost 200 years. Visitors come to experience the magnificent scenery - never-ending vistas of mountains and nearby glaciers and fjords, lakes and fast-flowing whitewater rivers - and to have plenty of active fun year round.
It is easy to get to Voss by train, bus and car from gateways such as Bergen and Oslo with a number of international arrivals. The town is centrally located in South West Norway, only somewhat more than 1 hour from Bergen, 6 hours from Oslo and ”In the Heart of Fjord Norway”, between the famous fjords Sognefjorden and Hardangerfjorden.
Bergen is the main gateway for both international and national arrivals to this part of Western Norway, for arrivals by plane, bus or boat. If you are on a round trip without a car, there are several destinations in the region that have connections to Voss by public transport. Here are the main gateways:
- Sognefjord area: Sogndal, Flåm/Gudvangen and Vik in Sogn
- Hardanger area: Ulvik, Kvanndal, Norheimsund
Bergen Airport Flesland is the closest airport to Voss, with non-stop international flights from larger scale European airports such as Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London, Stockholm and Reykjavik. Low-cost airlines also operate non-stop flights to Bergen from international airports such as Paris, Berlin, Prague, Warsaw, Riga and London.
There are also, of course, direct flights from several Norwegian airports, including daily departures from Oslo Airport Gardermoen with SAS and Norwegian airlines.
Voss is a central stop on the Bergen Railway between Oslo and Bergen. The service to Bergen by train is fairly frequent, with several local trains making the run. The journey from Bergen takes about 75 minutes and costs kr 189 for one adult. Timetables available on the Norwegian State Railways (NSB) website.
- Bergen - Voss:
- Route E16 via Arna and Dale (100 km, 1 hr 20 min)
- Oslo - Voss:
- Route E16 via Filefjell (420 km, 7 hr)
- Route 52 via Gol and Hemsedal (400 km, 6 hr 30 min)
- Route 50 via Hol and Aurland (380 km, 6 hr)
- Route 7 via Hardangervidda (400, 6 hr)
- Route 7 via Gol and Geilo (360, 5 hr 30 min)
- Ski lift to Mt Hanguren (return ticket: kr 100).
- Bordalsgjelet Gorge. The deep and dramatic Bordalsgjelet Gorge has information boards, viewpoints and benches. When snow and ice does not affect accessibility you can also follow a footpath that leads alongside the gorge. Here you will have excellent views of the fascinating potholes. Remember, however, for your own safety: Keep to the marked footpaths.
- Stalheimskleiva (35 km (22 mi) north of Voss driving on the E16). One of the steepest roads in Northern Europe, built during 1842-1846. The road has 13 hairpin bends, with Stalheim Hotel located at the top overlooking the road and the Nærøy Valley. On either side of the road you can see the Stalheim Waterfall (126 m) and the Sivle Waterfall (142 m). Stalheimskleiva is a one-way road going down.
- Tvindefossen Waterfall (12 km (7 mi) north of Voss driving on the E16). A 152-metre waterfall by Tvinde Camping. There is a road/footpath to the top of the falls. Kiosk. This walk combines well with a Car Walk, either to Afdal-Prestølen or Leidal-Hustveit.
- Swimming pool, Prestegardsmoen. Near Voss Camping in Prestegardsmoen there is an outdoor swimming pool with a diving tower plus three water chutes and a paddling pool. Fun for the whole family. Kiosk available for refreshments, ice, chocolate etc.
With two ski centres and long skiing traditions, Voss is a popular and one of the most established ski destinations in Norway. It is not without reason that World Cup Events are frequently held here. Voss is also one of the most natural snow-reliable ski destinations in Norway. On altogether some 50 kilometers of well prepared alpine slopes, you can ski in varying terrain from nursery slopes to demanding terrain for the most experienced. There are also great possibilities for cross-country skiing in Voss, in close proximity to the ski centres as well as in the wider Voss area. Services and facilities in the two ski centres include: terrain parks, ski schools and ski rentals, children's play areas, food & drink facilities and areas for cross country skiing.
- Voss Resort (5 kilometres North of town centre). The Voss Resort is one of the longest established ski centres in Norway and its welcome centre is situated in Bavallen.
- Voss Fjellandsby - Myrkdalen (25 kilometres North of town centre). The area of Myrkdalen where you can find the welcome centre of Voss Fjellandsby - or "Voss Mountain Village" if translated into English.
- Guided Tours. For small and large groups Voss Rafting Senter offers a range of guided tours during the winter months, from sunset snow shoes tours, to skiing tours in the hills around Voss.
- Voss Rafting Senter, Nedkvitnesvegen 25, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Voss Rafting Senter has a broad spectrum of activities like white-water rafting, sportsrafting, riverboarding, waterfall rappelling, canyoning, obstacle course and wilderness camp for tourists, companies, bachelor parties, societies, schools and friends. All products are related to water sport and based on strict safety procedures and the crew is highly professional in all aspects. Voss Rafting Senter`s motto is to "Guarantee To Wet Your Pants!" under controlled settings. Voss Rafting can offer everything from adventures family rafting to extreme rafting trips in world class. Activities from kr 330.
- Tre Brør Café, Vangsgata 28 (on the town square), ☎ . Su–Th 11:00–21:00, F Sa 11:00–01:00. Great place for lunch, dinner or a drink. Has a comfortable and cosy setting. Main course: kr 85-185.
- Voss Camping, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Tent: kr 150, Cabin for 2 people: kr 600.
- Tvinde Camping, Tvinde (12 km (7 mi) north of Voss), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Voss Hostel (Voss Vandrerhjem), Evangervegen 68, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dorm: kr 335, Summer dorm: kr 235 (sleeping bag needed, shared showers/toilets), Double: kr 930, 10% discount with HI membership, rates include bed linen and breakfast.
- Fleicher's Hotel, Evangervegen 13 (Next to the railwaystation), ☎ , fax: +47 56520501, e-mail: email@example.com. Fleischer's Hotel is an old hotel that in the past has been visited by royalty and nobility as well as the ordinary tourist and traveler. Modern comfort and facilities have been incorporated into the old building in a natural way. All rooms have en suite bathroom, mini-bar, telephone and television. Amenities include a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, solarium, Jacuzzi and sauna, as well as a separate conference section.
- Jarl Hotel, Elvegata 9, ☎ , fax: +47 56519901. Hotel Jarl is a modern family-run hotel in the centre of Voss - by the river "Vosso". All rooms have bathroom, TV and mini bar. Swimming hall, sauna and solarium. Light and intimate restaurant, lounge and bar. Large car park. Free transport to the railway station and the alpine centre.
- Park Hotel Vossevangen, Uttrågata 3 (located centrally, close to Vangsvatnet), ☎ , fax: +47 56531001. Park Hotel Vossevangen has 131 rooms, including 15 deluxe rooms and a side wing with multi-bed rooms. All rooms have their own bathroom and toilet.
- Restaurant Elysée. International cuisine based on local ingredients, and Northern Europes best and most comprehensive wine menu. Elysée is a place to experience excellent food and wine.Choose from the a la carte menu, or order a 3, 4 or 5 course set menu with wine.
- Café Stationen. A cafe with a distinctive character and good atmosphere all year round. Outside seating during the summer.
- Pianissimo Piano Bar. A Cosy piano bar is located in the middle of the hotel. Sink down into a comfy chair, relax with a drink from the well stocked bar, and be entertained by evening performers from Monday to Saturday.
- Pentagon Night Club. F Sa 22:00–02:00. Pentagon is one of the biggest and most popular night spots in Voss. It is busy, with good dance music and a great atmosphere.
- Winecellar. Some of the best wines in the world are waiting for you in winecellar! Wine Tasting and Wine Seminar. The biggest, best and most comprehensive wine collection in Northern Europe.
- Gamlahuset, Kvåle i Raundalen, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Gamlahuset is located at the small farm Kvale in the valley Raundalen at Voss, approximately 17 kilometers east of the centre of Voss. Gamlahuset has two big living rooms, three bedrooms, kitchen, two toilets and a bathroom. There are beds for 8 persons. The house, which is from around year 1800, was renovated in 2007. In several of the rooms the authentic style is kept. The house is totally 100 m2. Weekend prices from kr 1500 and week from kr 2500.
Voss is a convenient place to stay while exploring the Hardangerfjord to the south of Voss. As it is located on the Bergensbanen railway, a stay here can also be combined with a day-trip to Flåm with the Flåm railway (starts on Myrdal station on Bergensbanen).
Route 13 over the mountain to Vik, and further to Balestrand.
|Routes through Voss|
|Edinburgh (unconnected) ← Bergen ←||W E||→ Stalheim → Gudvangen → Oslo|