This is a fairly minor city, perhaps best known as the girlhood home of Nobel prize winning writer Pearl Buck.
Zhenjiang is on the main train line connecting the major cities of Nanjing and Shanghai. It can therefore be easily reached from either by both regular train and the faster CRH bullet trains. The cost ranges from ¥13-30 (regular train) to ¥30-75 (bullet train).
Zhenjiang is also easily reached by bus from other nearby cities. Buses are slightly cheaper than the train, but can take up to twice as long to reach their destination.
Taxis are the most convenient while buses are the most affordable. The base fare for a taxi is ¥8, and most areas of the city can be reached from the Zhenjiang Railroad Station for less than ¥30. Bus routes are traveled by both normal and air-conditioned buses from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. The bus fare is ¥1-3.
A ferry will take you across the Yangtze river to Yangzhou for ¥10.
Four major parks in Zhenjiang provide the most common destinations to tourists. Entrance to each park is ¥30-50, and the parks with pagodas charge another entrance fee (about ¥10) if you wish to climb the pagoda.
Jiaoshan Park is located on a small island in the Yangtze River and includes a large pagoda, peacock farm, and many winding paths through dense foliage. Bamboo forests partially cover the island.
Jinshan Park is located on the Northwest side of Zhenjiang and includes another large pagoda. The Buddhist temple complex and a large lake (complete with paddle boats available for rent) form the majority of the park.
Beigushan Park is located on the North side of Zhenjiang and has paths lit with lanterns after sundown. The park is surrounded by great landscaping and the Yangtze River.
Nanshan Park is located on the South side of Zhenjiang. It includes a hill with various paths snaking up and down it. A large pagoda at the top of the hill offers great views of the city, the river, and the surrounding countryside. The climb is very easy and takes less than an hour. Many people barbecue at small pits next to a lake to the East of the park entrance.
The parks are all nice, but unfortunately, if you've seen one "park" in the city, you've seen them all. Jiaoshan is enjoyable if you want to get away from people (it's nearly empty all the time), and Jinshan is nice if you want to boat around the lake (paddle and electric boats are available). Nanshan is currently being renovated (early 2008) and will hopefully be greatly improved.
All parks have legend history. Jinshan park, which famous for "mountain encompassed by temples (寺裹山)", is a remarkable place in ancient novel WHITE SNAKE (白蛇传), where is flooded by white snake (who is half woman and half snake with great super-natural power) for the revenge of a Buddhist who imprison her husband. Beigushan park, which nears Yangtze river, is well known for the real story of Three Kingdom (三国), where Liu Bei and Sun Quan (the ruler of two kingdoms) took the horse ride together, discussed the union plan and ultimately changed China history forever. Jiaoshan park is famous for "temples encompassed by mountains(山裹寺)" and connected to a history that people bravely resisted British invasion. Few iron cannons still left there if search carefully.
XiJinDu Ancient Street, which address below, is a newly man made ancient place and a well spot to know the ancient zhenjiang buildings and culture.
- XiJinDu Ancient Street (西津渡), Foothills of Yuntai Mountain, Jingkou District (Number 2 Bus from DaShiKou (downtown, in front of Pizza Hut)).
- Zhulin Si (竹林寺). Bamboo forest temple located in the folder. The folder is located in Zhaoyin mountain, due to diffuse mountain bamboo is also known as bamboo hill. Bamboo forest temple name folder temple, the law on Jackson was built. Because of the temple in the deep forest, from afar, and the bamboo does not see the temple, so the name.
Zhenjiang is known for producing the best vinegar in China. Most major cities situated nearby provide Zhenjiang vinegar whenever dumplings are served. Steamed dumplings with the famous vinegar can be found on almost every block in town.
Like most Chinese cities, Zhenjiang houses a variety of restaurants serving dishes from each of the four main culinary traditions in China. More exotic food includes Japanese, Korean, and Russian cuisine. A Brazilian barbecue can even be found near the city center.
Western fast food restaurants in Zhenjiang include McDonalds, KFC, and a Pizza Hut.
- 1880 ((Yao Ba Ba Ling Jiu Ba)) (On the same street as the Night Market). 9-3. A typical Chinese bar, with entertainers and live music. ¥50 for cocktails, bottle service starts at ¥400.
- Donghan Hotel Zhenjiang, 39 Xianhe Alleyway (Xianhe Xiang), Jingkou (between the Dashikou commercial area and Zhongshanqiao business district). A tranquil ambience, budget prices and tasty dishes are among this Zhenjiang hotel's top selling points.
- XiaoShanLou Youth Hostel (镇江小山楼国际青年旅舍), 西津渡利群巷11号 (From the train/bus station take bus number 2 to Boxian Park Stop then walk right towards Zhenjiang Museum right towards Xijindu Ancient Ferry Street. The Hostel is on a lane veering to the right.), ☎ 0511-85286708. A cute little hostel with a wooden structure it provides food and drink in a nice little patio to the side. Confortable beds, the staff is friendly and although not much English is spoken they do try. ¥50 for a dorm, ¥100 for a private.
|Routes through Zhenjiang|
|Beijing ← Nanjing ←||W E||→ Shanghai|