Baliuag is a town and the largest settlement in northern Bulacan. It has a population of about 150,000 in 2015.
Baliuag was carved out of the municipality of Quingua (present-day Plaridel) in 1733, which used to cover a large area along the Angat River. The town's heritage church is also built in that year. In 1899, Baliuag was the site of the first democratic elections in the Philippines, and in Asia as well.
The town is home to Mariano Ponce, also one of the members of the Propaganda Movement led by Jose Rizal, Marcelo del Pilar, and Graciano Lopez-Jaena.
Baliuag is the economic and educational center for northern Bulacan, and it has that status since it the Spanish and American colonial periods.
- Baliwag Transit. This bus line headquartered in this town has frequent trips from their terminals in Manila and Cubao (Quezon City). The company has two terminals, one at Sampaloc junction (northeast of downtown), and another at the downtown.
- Baliuag Clock Tower, Dr. Gonzales Street, and Senator Ninoy Aquino Avenue. The first and only free-standing clock tower in Bulacan, also a local symbol and landmark. It is constructed in 1999 and inaugurated in 2000, during the 137th birthday anniversary of hero, Mariano Ponce.
- Baliuag Museum and Library (Museo ng Baliuag, Lumang Minisipyo). It was the first town hall (munisipyo or municipio) which was built during the American occupation in 1899. It used to house the municipal government until 1971, when a new town hall was inaugurated. Today, it houses a museum dedicated to the town's history.
One of Baliuag's main products are the buntal hats, which is made from woven buri palm fibers.
There is one mall, and numerous supermarkets, mostly located at the highway outside downtown:
- SM City Baliuag, Don Remedios Trinidad Highway. Has numerous restaurants, a SM Store (department store), and a SM Hypermarket.
- La Familia Sizzlers and Restaurant, DRT Highway, Bagong Nayon, Baliuag, Bulacan, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunrise Motel, Doña Remedios Trinidad Highway (Near the flyover).