Jump to navigation Jump to search
Biggar is a small market town with a population of about 2,300 which serves a wide rural area.
- 1 Gasworks Museum, Gas Works Road, ML12 6BZ. 1 Apr to 30 Sept: Weekends and special Steam Days, 13:00 - 17:00. the only preserved gas works in Scotland. For 130 years up to the 1960s the gasworks produced "town gas" from coal £5.
- 2 Biggar & Upper Clydesdale Museum. Apr – mid Dec: Tu – Sa 10:00 - 17:00, Su 13:00 - 17:00, Jan - Mar Sa 10:00 - 17:00, Su 13:00 - 17:00,. £5, locals free.
- Dawyck Botanic Garden: see Peebles for this garden 12 miles east of Biggar in the upper Tweed valley.
- 1 Purves Puppets, Park Rd,. Victorian style puppet theatre with shows popular with younger children. Also has a tearoom.
- Vintage Vehicle Rally. Sun in early Aug. The Albion trust organises an annual rally of Albion Motors vehicles, and are raising funds to open a museum in Biggar. Albion Motors was a Glasgow car and lorry manufacturer operating from 1899 to 1968, when it became part of British Leyland.
- 2 Biggar Golf Course, ☏ . daily 7:00 - 19:00, shorter in winter.. 18 hole parkland course run by South Lanarkshire Council.
- Biggar Corn Exchange, 126 High St, ML12 6DL. Theatre which opened in 1861, with local amateur acts and visiting professional performers.
- There is a Coop supermarket ( Old Auction Market, Old Station Road, ML12 6BW) and a small Sainsburys (60 High Street, ML12 6BJ) which are both open daily 7:00 - 22:00.
- The Barony, 55 High St. W Sa 12:00-14:30, 17:00-21:00; Su 12:00-15:00, 17:00-20:00. 3 course dinner £24, lunch £17.
- The Crown Inn, 109 High St. daily - food 11:00 - 21:00, bar open until 01:00. 17tth century coaching inn, now a gastro pub with a carvery on Sunday. mains £10 - 30.
- Cones and Candies (Taylor's of Biggar), 129 High St. Biggar made ice cream and traditional sweets.
- 1 Biggar Caravan Park, Park House, Broughton Road ML12 6HA, ☏ . open all year except January. Park for touring caravans and tents in which some pitches are occupied by caravans booked for the year. Next to the golf course, and has a pond onsite. caravan pitch £20, tent £12.
- 2 Kirkstyle Hotel, 72 High St. 8 room hotel
- 3 Elphinstone Hotel, 145 High St. 11 room hotel