Brooklyn sits at the very southern point of the Central Coast, on the south bank of the Hawkesbury River. It could also sometimes be considered the most northern part of Sydney's Hornsbyshire.
directly to the south is the expansive Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
It is easily accessible by the M1 motorway from Sydney to Newcastle. It is better to cross the Hawkesbury River on the motorway, take the turning off and head back south again on the adjacent bridge on the Pacific Highway.
1 Hawkesbury River Station in on the Sydney to Newcastle line. Despite its name, it's in the middle of Brooklyn town. Some express services do not stop here. It is about 40 minutes from Sydney Central Station.
You cannot walk or bike on the train bridge.
Brooklyn is connected to Little Wobby (to the south of Woy Woy) on the other side of the Hawkesbury River by ferry.
- 1 McKell Park, 9 Dangar Road (Go to the very end of Dangar Road.). A small beach and swimming area enclosed by sharks nets that is shallow enough for young children. There are bathrooms and a large playground next to it.
- 2 Visit Dangar Island. Take a ferry to Dangar Island.
- 3 Bush walk. There is a good trek between Brooklyn and Cowan Train Station via Jerusalem Bay. It takes 3-4 hours, and with no facilities or roads on the way you should ensure that you have packed enough water and food.
- 1 Life Boat Seafoods, 1 Dangar Rd, ☏ . The mullet and chips is their go-to dish.
- 2 River Dreams Gift Shop, 17/9 Dangar Rd, Brooklyn NSW 2083, ☏ .
- 1 Angler's Restaurant, 216 Brooklyn Rd, ☏ . Daily 11:30AM - 8:30PM. Local seafood and pub bar. Accommodation as well. Mains from $20.
- 2 The Teahouse, 2 / 12 Dangar Road, ☏ .
- 3 Act Casual Cafetería, 1 Bridge St2, ☏ . Nice coffee and cakes
- 1 Brooklyn Motel, 7 Bridge Street.
- 2 Ripples Houseboats, 7 Brooklyn Rd, ☏ .
- 3 Brooklyn on Hawkesbury, 55A Brooklyn Rd, ☏ .
- To the south is the Upper North Shore of Sydney, easily accessible by train
- You can walk directly into the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park from Brooklyn
- To the north is the Central Coast with relaxed coastal communities