- 1 Thieffry, Fernand Demanybrug ( ). 06:00-00:30. Metro station opened in 1976 and named after Belgian World War I air ace Edmond Thieffry. It has several interesting sculptures of modern art on display. €2.10.
- 2 Vandervelde, Emile Vanderveldelaan 107 ( direction Stokkel), ☎ . 06:00-00:30. Opened on 7 May 1982, the Vandervelde metro station was named after Belgian politician Emile Vandervelde. The murals on the platform walls are from the hand of artist Paul De Gobert, officially titled La grande Taupe et le petit Peintre, but known as The Four Seasons because it depicts the transition of nature from one season into another. The 360° painting is placed on top of a band in earth colors, representing the geological layers of the underground. The work shows the environment of the station as it used to look before urbanization, thus focusing the viewer's attention on the effect of urbanization on nature. Some of the marshes and willow trees in the murals can still be observed today in the Woluwe valley. The Four Seasons is the largest painting, in surface, in Belgium. €2.10.
- 3 Stokkel (Stockel), Hinnisdaallaan 39 ( terminus station), ☎ . 06:00-00:30. Stokkel opened on 31 August 1988 and is still the terminus station of metro line 1 to the east side of Brussels. Known as Stokkel for the neighbourhood it is in (or Stockel in the ancient Dutch spelling), the murals in the station illustrate over 140 characters from Hergés comic The Adventures of Tintin (Kuifje in Dutch), one of the more populare and internationally known Belgian comic figures. The sketches were drawn by Hergé himself, not long before his death, and completed by Studio Hergé which conserves its heritage. Recommendable for comic and Tintin fans. The metro station is adjacent to a shopping mall, which by itself is also worth a look around. €2.10.
- 4 Solvay Residence (Hotel Solvay), Louizalaan 224 ( ), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Not an actual hotel, but a large Art Nouveau town house designed by renowed Belgian architect Victor Horta. Horta was commissioned by Armand Solvay, son of the wealthy chemist and industrialist Ernest Solvay, to design his residence. Ernest Solvay had made his fortune from the development of the chemical process that bears his name, which offered a more economical method to produce soda (sodium carbonate), a cleaning agent and precursor to countless other chemicals. Having inherited much of the fortune of his father, Ernest Solvay gave Horta complete freedom for the design of his home, which translated into expensive construction materials such as marble, onyx, bronze, and tropic woods, and the inclusion of expensive details. Horta personall oversaw the design of every detail, from furniture, carpets, light fittings, tableware, to even the door bell. Many of Horta's favorite materials, iron, glass and natural stone, can be recognized in the buildings facade. Horta in turn commissioned Belgian painter Theo van Ryselberghe for the decoration of the staircase, commonly the centerpiece in all Hortas designs. The Solvay Residence was acquired in the 1950s by the Wittamer family, which gained its wealth from chocolate production and trade, and no expenses were saved to keep the house intact. Its exceptional architectural value and beauty made it onto the UNESCO World Heritage site list. It can be visited on appointment by email only.
- 5 Villa Empain, Franklin Rooseveltlaan 67 ( ), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 11:00-18:00. Villa Empain was designed by Swiss architect Michel Polak as a private residence in Art Deco style, and built between 1930 and 1934 by industrialist Baron Édouard Empain. Unlike similar Art Deco buildings of its time, Villa Empain was decorated with works of many different artists and as a result boasts a greater diversity than for example the Stocklet Palace. Empain donated the property to the Belgian state in 1937, with the intention of turning it into a museum of decorative and contemporary art. The foundation, known as the Le Cambre School hosted various exhibition in the villa until 1943 when the occupying German Wehrmacht requisitioned it during the Second World War. After the war it served as the Embassy of the Soviet Union until the 1970s, when it was occupied by a local TV station and abandoned in the 1990s. The neglected building was purchased in 2000 by Stéphan Jourdain, a shady businessman who proceeded to strip the building from many of its unique artifacts, until the vandalism was discovered by the Brussels Monuments and Sites conversation society that responded by locking down the site in 2001. Once again the building remained abandoned and fell prey to vandalism and squatters until the property was acquired by the Boghossian Foundation in 2008 and extensively renovated. The responsibilty for the renovation was given to French architect Francis Metzger who previously had successfully completed renovations of the Solvay Library and the Central Station. With a budget of €4 million, the aim of the renovation was to restore the villa to its 1934 outlook. From its inauguration as a musem and art exhibition center in 2010, the villa has hosted many concerts, conferences and cultural events, for which it was awarded the European Prize for Cultural Heritage in 2011. It is open to the public and can be visited, along with a museum souvenir shop and a café. Adults €10, seniors €8, students €4.
- 6 Cauchie House (Maison Cauchie), Frankenstraat 5 ( ), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. First weekend of every month from 10:00-13:00, 14:00-17:30. Residence designed and built in 1905 by Art Nouveau architect, painter and designer Paul Cauchie, with a facade ramarkable for its allegorical sgraffiti. Cauchie picked up this technique from Jean Portaels and Constant Montald when he studied at the Royal Academy for Fine Arts after obtaining his degree in architecture in Antwerp. Aside from his own house, only 3 other houses designed by Cauchie are known, 2 of them also in Brussels. Cauchie was more of a decorator than an actural architect, and specialized in designing sgraffiti for architecture. Cauchie designed his house with the intention of advertising and selling his own work, and the art of his wife. The house was easily seen from neighboring roads, and thus drew attention from passers-by and demonstrated the know-how and skills of the Cauchies. The center of the facade is marked wit hthe words "Par Nous — Pour Nous" (By Us — For Us), illustrating this purpose. After completion, the Cauchies filled their new home with numerous works of art, paintings, wall coverings, furniture, and so on. It is therefore a good example of total art in architecture. The building was almost demolished in 1971, but saved at the last minute and classified as a monument in 1975. It was renovated between 1981 and 1988, and opened as a museum since 1995. The basement of the house contains the cellars where Paul Cauchies workshop has been converted into a gallery exhibition with photos, paintings and archive documents meticulously collected over the years to illustrate the artistic life of Paul and his wife. The upper floors have been converted into private flats and adapted to modern needs, and cannot be visited. €7 including guided tour.
- 7 Clockarium, Reyerslaan 163 ( ), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Su 15:05-16:30. Museum dedicated to the history of 20th century art deco ceramic clocks, which were found in nearly every Belgian and north French household in the early 20th as ceramic was considered the "plastic" of the time. With a collection spanning over 3 floors, the museum has ceramic clocks from French and Czech origin on the 1st floor, Belgian clocks on the 2nd floor, and art deco clocks of German, Dutch, Austrian and Italian origin on the 3rd floor. One of the rooms is entirely dedicated to clocks from the 1950s until contemporary clocks. The ground floor cloak room has several antique clocks from before the 1920s on display as well. The museum is also housed in an art deco building itself, designed by architect Gustave Bussuyt. The museum opens every Sunday at 14:55, and given the nature of the subject, visitors should assume that this time will be respected! Tours are only given in French. €6.
Woluwé-Saint-Pierre is a commune in Brussels. It is mostly a well-to-do residential area, which includes the wide, park-lined, Tervuren Avenue (French: Avenue de Tervueren, Dutch: Tervurenlaan) and the numerous embassies near the Montgomery Square (Square Montgomery, Montgomeryplein).
- 8 Bibliotheca Wittockiana, Rue du Bemelstraat 21, ☎ . A museum that is dedicated to the art of binding books, with one of the most prestigious bookbinding collections in the world. Quite interesting. A discovery of forgotten discipline. Amazing use of materials, that unexpectedly gives room to innovation. €5, €3 for reduced ticket. Free on the first Sunday of the month..
- 9 Transportation Museum of Brussels (Musée du Transport Urbain Bruxellois-Museum voor het Stedelijk Vervoer te Brussel), 364 Avenue de Tervuren/Tervurenlaan (Take Metroline 1B (dir. Stockel). Step down at Metro M station Montgomery. There, take Tram 39 (dir. Ban Eik) or 44 (dir. Tervuren) from their terminus. Step down at 6th stop “Depot de Woluwe/Woluwe Remise”. Tram museum is just at your left.), ☎ . Sa Su and holidays 13:30-19:00 from the first weekend of April until the first weekend of October. Old trams are regularly used to link the museum to one of Brussels suburbs, Tervuren, through a very nice wooded area. The trip is especially pleasant on a sunny day. From the end station in Tervuren you can go to a nearby old train station that has been converted to a bar and small restaurant named Spoorloos (literally "without tracks"). €5 Adults, €2 children age 6-11, under 6 free.
- 10 City Hall of Woluwé-Saint-Pierre, Avenue Charles Thielemans 93. Open for visitors.
- 11 Saint-Pierre Church, Rue Felix Poels. Erected in 1755 on the site of a much older building and perpendicular to it, with funds from the abbey of Forest. Traces of the older building can still be seen on the left of the current church.
- 12 Stoclet/Stokkel House. Several turn-of-the-century houses and manors can still be seen today, such as the Stoclet/Stokkel House, a UNESCO World Heritage site, which was built between 1905 and 1909 on a design by Josef Hoffmann and contains mosaics and paintings by Gustav Klimt.
- 1 Woluwe Park, Near Avenue de Tervuren (From center, take a tube (Stockel direction), step down at Montgomery station. Take tram 39 or 44. Step down at 4th station Chien vert. Or, by bus 36 if you take it at Schuman station area.).
- 2 Le Stockel (Cinema Stokkel), Hinnisdaallaan 17-19 ( ), ☎ . Local movie theater with a focus on Belgian, French and Hollywood movies. Can be reached by public transport by metro or tram. Beware of the schedule: even non-animated English movies are routinely translated (dubbed) in French, resulting in a very awkward and disappointing experience. Maker sure to get a ticket for the original version (vo) and not the French version (vf).
- 3 Flagey, Flageyplein ( ), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The old broadcasting headquarters and now houses the regional TV station TVBrussel. It labels itself 'the sound and images factory'. Quite an apt description arthouse films, theatre pieces or world-renowned musicians are all featured here.
- 4 Escape Rush, Herfststraat 30 ( Etterbeek Station), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Room escape games close to the university campus, with 2 advenatures available:
Ravenswood's Story: players follow the adventure of Lord Ravenswod, a genius and philanthropist who dedicated his life to protect the world from trheats, but now needs assistance in his battle to curb the last crisis.
Mission 1: Submarine Bunker: a story of betrayal set in a secret military facility of Soviet Siberia, where players work together to stop the destruction of the world.
- 1 Woluwe Shopping Center, Woluwedal ( ), ☎ . M-Sa 10:00-19:00. A large shopping center in the east of Brussels, on walking distance from Kraainem. It opened in 1968 and was expanded numerous times throughout the years. It houses 136 shops with a total area of 42 650 m², including the famous Belgian chocolate brands Neuhaus, Godiva and Leonidas.
- 1 Maison Antoine, Place Jourdanplein, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tasty fries with a large collection of sauces situated on a square close to the European Parliament. You can eat your fries (frites) in one of the several bars/cafés that carries the sign frites accepted. Vegetarians be careful. Fries are cooked in Beef fat. Although this place has a very good reputation which can be guessed from the long line of people waiting to be served, purists will tell you that is certainly not the best place in town to get your fries. €3.
- 2 Sel et Sucre Creperie - Glacier, Avenue des Celtes-Keltenlaan, 4 (near Merode subway station, Parc du Cinquantenaire-Jubelpark and the Arc de Triomphe-Triomfboog). 12:00-22:00. The fantastic crepes and friendly service makes up for the ordinary decor and just around the corner from the Arc de Triomphe-Triomfboog.
- 3 Dolma, Chaussée d'Ixelles-Elsenesteenweg 329, ☎ . A very nice vegetarian buffet, at lunch and dinner time, Monday through Saturday. The day’s menu is on the website, with vegan options (“végétalien”) indicated. Around €30 for buffet with dessert and drinks.
- 4 Chez Oki, Rue Lesbroussart-Lesbroussartstraat 62, Ixelles-Elsene. French-Japanese fusion cuisine in a modern decor. The chef has worked for prestigious restaurants in Paris. Reasonable prices.
- 5 Mamma Roma, Vleurgatse steenweg 5 ( ), ☎ . 12:00-22:00. Small pizzeria for eat-in (bar-style seating) or takeaway, sold by weight. Delicious crunchy base and some unusual toppings (one was spicy with walnuts, very tasty). Long queues but speedy service, deals available for pizza + drinks.
- 6 Mamma Roma ( ), ☎ . 11:00-22:00. Small pizzeria for eat-in (bar-style seating) or takeaway, sold by weight. Delicious crunchy base and some unusual toppings (one was spicy with walnuts, very tasty). Long queues but speedy service, deals available for pizza + drinks.
- 7 Mamma Roma, Boondaalsesteenweg 467 ( ), ☎ . 11:30-22:30. Small pizzeria close to the VUB campus for eat-in (bar-style seating) or takeaway, sold by weight. Delicious crunchy base and some unusual toppings (one was spicy with walnuts, very tasty). Long queues but speedy service, deals available for pizza + drinks.
- 8 Mykonos, J.F. Debeckerstraat 160 ( ), ☎ . Greek restaurant with authentic atmosphere: fitting decorations, garments, and an occasional live band playing traditional Greek music. Advisable for couples seeking a romantic dinner, not suitable for kids. Decent portions, mid-range in price. Their grilled lamb is famous in the wide region.
- Le Monde est petit, rue des Bataves 65, 1040 Etterbeek, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Gastronomic restaurant, 1* Michelin, reasonably priced
- 1 Le Tavernier, 445 Chaussée de Boondael-Boondaalsesteenweg. While all the above locations are situated downtown in central Brussels, this location is the most popular bar on a strip of bars right by the Cimétière d'Ixelles-Begraafplaats van Elsene. Its location right off the student campus make it extremely popular with students who just want to kick back and have a few relaxed drinks. Some nights there is also live music (making the establishment a lot more hectic). Worth a look especially towards the beginning and end of the academic year and in the summer (especially for their Jazzbreaks nights).
- 1 Tangla Hotel, Emmanuel Mounierlaan 5 ( ), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Large hotel close to the UCL hospital in St-Lambrechts-Woluwe. Can be reached by bus too.