Caldera is a town on the coast of Northern Chile. It has a pleasant main square and some beaches, but most people going to the beach head to nearby Bahía Inglesa.
There is a bus station about two blocks from the main square. In addition, all buses going to and from Copiapó can let you off near Caldera on Route 5. It's about a 30-minute walk to the center.
- Santa Isabel (two blocks north from main square). Supermarket.
- El Plateao, 756 Avenida El Morro, Bahia Inglesa. Great waterfront restaurant with indoor or outdoor seating and great views of the beach. Marketed as a Thai restaurant, but the cuisine is a bit more eclectic than that.
- Kavana, Carvallo, 299A (a block or two away from the main square, towards Route 5). Juices, drinks, cocktails, and snacks. Computers with internet (CLP$600/hour or so) and wi-fi!
- Residencial Millaray, Cosiño, 331 (on the square). Simple accommodation; you can use the kitchen. CLP7000-8000.
- Ckamur Hospedaje Boutique, Camino Al Faro 1018, Mirador de Charito, Caldera, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cute lodge by the water with nice architecture and simple accommodations. Each apartment has a kitchen and access to the patio with firepits and barbecues. The owners (Rodrigo and Andrea) are extremely friendly and accommodating.
There is a woman who does a laundry service out of her house. If you are in the main square facing the church, walk up (south) on the street on the right of the church. In about 2 or 3 blocks, there is a sign for Lavandería and it has the address. You can also ask, everyone seems to know it.
- Bahía Inglesa - a lovely yet windy beach about 20 minutes away by collectivo. Costs about CLP$1000 to get there.