Carigara is a municipality of 55,000 people (2020) in in the northern part of Leyte province on the shores of Carigara Bay. It is surrounded by wide rice fields fanning out towards the mountains in the distance.
Carigara is known for its pastillas, humba, sundang (machete), and the hubhob, a local delicacy made from grated cassava, egg, kalamay, milk, and sugar cooked inside a bagacay (bamboo pole) over charcoals.
The Waray-waray language is predominantly spoken within the municipality. Other recognized minority languages are Cebuano and Tagalog.
English is the language used in official purposes and often mixed in with Waray in casual conversations. Spanish is also present and/or used in very few purposes, but never in speech and communication.
- Pedicabs are the common mode of transportation within the town proper and the poblacións.
- Tricycles and habal-habals on the other hand are commonly used for travelling within the town, especially to the far-flung barangays.
- Vans, jeepneys and buses are the mode of transport when travelling to the cities of Tacloban and Ormoc or to the municipalities that are faraway from the town. There are few bus companies situated in Carigara.
- Lauron's Boulevard (Brgy. Baybay & Ponong) This is the place where people can buy street foods like isaw, pork barbecues, and many more.
- Carigara Municipal Library and Museum (Brgy. Baybay)
- Cassidy Elementary School (Brgy. Ponong) A school famous for its classical-style building.
- Datu Gara Shrine (Brgy. Canal)
- Gawas an Harigue (Brgy. Baybay) An old house with exposed posts on the sides.
- Heroes Shrine (Brgy. Baybay & Ponong) Located right between Carigara Boulevard and the Kan Gara Gymnasium.
- Holy Cross Parish Church (Brgy. Ponong) The oldest and largest church in Carigara.
- Kan Gara Gymnasium (Brgy. Ponong) The largest gymnasium.
- Lumen Ancestral House (Brgy. Sawang) The only house in the town which serves as a shelter for balinsasayaos.
- Plaza Triunfo (Brgy. Ponong) The largest plaza.
- St. Francis Assisi Parish (Brgy. Jugaban)
- Balai Constancia.
- Hotel Baudilio.