Jump to navigation Jump to search
Central Macedonia (Κεντρική Μακεδονία) is a region of Greece.
- Chalkidiki - with its three peninsulas or Kassandra, Sithonia, Mount Athos
- 1 Thessaloniki —
- 2 Serres
- 3 Veria — The city boasts a considerable number of Byzantine monuments
- 4 Edessa — The seat of the Argead dynasty and its mythical founder, Caranus of Macedonia
- 5 Polygyros —
- 6 Aridea — A spa town
- 1 Amphipolis — Archaeological area some 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the northern city of Serres, well known for the "Lion of Amphipolis", a 4th-century BC sculpture. An ancient tomb discovered in March 2016 was likely a monument to Hephaestion, the close companion of Alexander the Great.
- 2 Dion, Pieria — An ancient city and sanctuary dedicated to Zeus. Philip II and Alexander the Great celebrated victories in Dion.
- 3 Litochoro — Τhe base for climbing Mt Olympus
- 4 Pella — The birthplace of Alexander the Great
- 5 Vergina — The ancient Aigai, the first capital of Macedonia and the place where Alexander the Great was proclaimed king, short after Philip's assassination in 336 BC.
- 6 Olynthos —
- 7 Platamonas —