Cēsis is a town surrounded by Gauja National Park in the hilly Vidzeme Highlands region of Latvia. It contains two beautiful castles and parks, period houses and small cobbled streets in the Old Town. It has a population of 18,000.
It lies 98 km from Riga. From Riga you can take a direct bus or train. You can find time of trains and buses here.
- Old Town. The Medieval buildings have gone but wooden buildings of the 18th to 19th centuries have survived.
- Cesis Medieval Castle, Pils laukums 9. May-Sep daily 10:00–18:00, Oct-Apr Tu-Sa 10:00–17:00, Su 10:00-16:00. There is the Medieval Castle, the New Castle and the Cesis History and Art Museum. Ls 2.
- St. John's Church, Lielā Skolas iela 8. Built in the 1280s. The spire was built in 1853. Now a Lutheran church. You can climb the tower which affords a view over the Old Town. Ls 0.50.
- Square of Roses, in front of St. John's Church
- Vienības Square (Unity Square). Contains the Victory Monument.
- Līvu Square, Rīgas iela 47 (south of Castle Park). Has a fountain that is illuminated at night.
- May Park, on the opposite side of Lenču St from Castle Park.
- Rigas street (shopping)
- Svētavots Nature Park and Holy Spring, Atpūtas iela 12 (in the western outskirts).
- Zvartes iezis
- Ieriku nature trail
- Parachute jump at Vidzeme Aero-club
- Kolonna Hotel Cesis, ☎ (+371) 64120122, fax: (+371) 64120121, e-mail: email@example.com. Vienības laukums 1,
- Hostel "Putniņkrogs", ☎ (+371) 64120290. Saules iela 23,
- Jaunpiebalga – museum of composer Emils Darzins (1875-1910) at "Jāņaskola", tel. 64162354.