Asia > Southeast Asia > Thailand > Southern Thailand > Central Gulf Coast > Ko Pha-ngan > Chalok Lam
Chalok Lam (also Chaloklum) is a very natural picturesque location at the northernmost tip of Ko Pha Ngan. The shoreline stretches for some 3 km and the mountains frame the bay in its entirety. This was once a fishing village where industry dominated the sea front and activity until just a few years ago when the rows of drying squid were removed from the beaches to allow tourism to flourish. There are many Thai-style restaurants and some new funkier bars and restaurants in the village sea front with bungalows across the bay also offering food and drink.
See Ko Pha Ngan for information on getting to the island. From the main port of Thong Sala, songthaews are available to Chalok Lam every day at around 12:00 when the ferries arrive from Samui and Surat Thani. At other times taxis can be hired, but are expensive and the price must be negotiated with the driver. Motorbikes can be rented all over the island for both short- and long-tern rentals. Prices from 100 baht a day.
Walking, renting motorbikes or share taxis (from bungalows in Chalok Lam at 10:00) to Thong Sala, the main port.
There is another Thai temple in the village and ceremonies are held each day at 07:30 with all welcome. At Wat Pra Sanctum the head monk Pra Adjan speaks very good English and is very willing to include tourists within the meditation that he leads for the Monks.
There is an elephant trekking camp just south of the village near the Thai (Wat Pra Sanctum) and Chinese temples. Several diving schools in the village offers pursuits for the aqua challenged, wake boarding and water skiing. Wakeboarding and there are plenty of longtail boats for hire to tour the island or simply go fishing. A cooking school is located just outside the village.
The bay in general is much more laid back than other parts of the island and traditionally people party in the south at the full moon party and then chill out in Chalok Lam. The villagers are very friendly and there is a fantastic atmosphere.
Local fruit and vegetables are available from roadside stands. There is one mini-market, several Thai markets, a 7-Eleven, and several ATMs in Chalok Lam.
- Geni's Pizza. Family-run Italian restaurant on the water. Weekly pizza nights. Owned by Italian Geni and his Thai wife, Pit.
- Nong Nook Thai Food. Local Thai restaurant, good food, popular with tourists.
- Panee's Corner, opposite 7-Eleven. Mama Panee cooks Thai food and offers local gossip to those interested.
- Seaside Thai Restaurant. Cheap long-standing Thai food restaurant. Seafood, curries, on the sea front.
- [dead link] The World's End Restaurant, Cafe & Bar, 37/1 Moo 7 (directly opposite the main Chalok Lam pier). 07:30-15:00, 18:00-22:00 (Dec-Apr). English breakfast, eggs Benedict, Heinz baked beans, fresh breads and filter coffee, espresso drinks and British PG Tips tea, Mexican enchiladas, moussaka & Greek salad, calamari, pastas, steaks, chops, roasts, homemade sauces and gravy.
- Gemiini Bar (At Sail Rock Divers, 1 min from 7-Eleven.). Chill-out pool-side bar with friendly people and good music. Happy hour every day from 18:00-20:00, with two cocktails for one.
- The Lost Dog (Next to Geni's Pizza). Bar with free pool table run by American expat, Dave.
- Sheesha (Chalok Lam). A classy take on the Thai bar, definitely worth a look.
- Chaloklum Bay Resort, Chalok Lam Bay West. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 11:00. The resort offers a range of beach front bungalows, garden villas and honeymoon suites with extensive grounds, swimming pool, sauna, spa and fitness centre. Lots of activities including jet ski, wave boarding, windsurfing.
- Fantasea Resort, Chalok Lam Bay East (At the east end of the bay). Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 10:00. A-frame bungalows on the beach. 600-3,000 baht.
- The Mandalai Hotel, Chalok Lam Bay Centre. Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 10:00. The first boutique-style hotel on the island. 2,250-3,750 baht.
- Niramon Villas, Chalk Lam Bay East. Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 10:00. Villa complex with swimming pool overlooking the ocean. 1,750-3,750 Baht.
- Villa Hin Ngam. Two bedroom cliff top luxury sea view house for rent. Self-catering property with maid service and laundry facilities. A gourmet kitchen including hob, island, microwave and all necessary cooking equipment are part of the package. 5,500-6,500 baht.
- Wattana Resort, Chalok Lam Bay West. Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 10:00. On the west side of the bay. Very spacious, cheap and offers a very quiet location with traditional classic Thai bungalows. 600-2,500 baht.