Chilapata lies in the heart of Eastern Dooars at the foothills of Eastern Himalaya and is perched between Buxa Tiger Reserve and Jaldapara National Park. The ecological boundary of Chilapata spreads along the banks of River Bania in the east and River Torsha in the west. Both the rivers bring fresh monsoon alluvial to support and protect the grassland ecosystem of the forest.
Flora and fauna
Chilapata forest is a migration corridor of rhinos and elephants. Due to hunting of the Maharajas of Cooch Behar, rhinos have become rare. The dense natural forest is also home to leopards, bison, 4 species of deer, peacocks, wild boar, 22 species of snakes, 180 species of birds, and a large diversified variety of butterflies. Reptiles found here include python, krait, cobra, water monitor, fresh water turtles; as well as birds like fishing eagle, shikara, crested eagle, jungle fowl, peaceful patridge, Bengal florican, paradise fly catchers, racket tailed drongo and pied hornbill.
A particular kind of plant known as Ramgua or Ramguna tree is found in this forest. These trees have unique blood-like red sap, that comes out of their bark when cut.
Cool and pleasant climate throughout the year.
Fees and permits
Chilapata forest jeep safari for wildlife sighting requires hiring of gypsys and guides, trained by Forest department. It takes place twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. Fee for Gypsy hire is ₹1300/- per car, fee for guide hire is ₹300/-, fee for vehicle entry is ₹300/- and fee for per-person entry is ₹100/-. Tribal dance performance is included in safari only for the fourth trip during afternoon. Charge is ₹50/- per person.
Chilapata has homestays and resorts where you can eat.
No drinks inside the sanctuary. For consumption in hotel, it is better to carry one’s own choice.
- Bamboo Village Resort, Uttar Chakoakheti, ☏ 033 6607 7252 This resort has both A.C. and Non A.C. rooms and an onsite restaurant serving Bengali dishes.
- Chilapata Homestay, Uttar Chakoakheti, ☏ +91-9903362610 This resort-cum-homestay has 18 A.C. rooms and an onsite restaurant serving Bengali and Chinese dishes. Jeep safari arranged from the resort.
- Chilapata Jungle Camp, Uttar Chakoakheti, ☏ +91-89187 18498 This resort has 9 rooms, both A.C. and Non A.C. rooms and an on-site restaurant.
- Humro Home Chilapata, Kumai Busty, ☏ 1800-123-3759 This homestay has 2 Non A.C. rooms and food arrangements for guests. Serves local food.
- Nalgarh Retreat Chilapata, Uttar Simlabari, ☏ +91 8013311814 This resort has both A.C. and Non A.C. rooms and food arrangement for guests.
- Jaldapara National Park