Comilla is a district town under Chittagong division situated at south eastern part of Bangladesh.It is a small district town beside Dhaka Chittagong highway.Comilla city stands on the River Gumti.
This urbanized center in Chittagong Division has its origins as part of an ancient state called Samatata during the 1st Millenium CE, then fell under the dominion of kings and rulers like Bengal Jagat Manikya until the East India Company assumed control in 1765. From there, it was involved in logistical facets of WWII as well as events pertaining to the Bengali liberation in 1971. A WWII cemetery lies to the northwest where there are graves of Allied forces members as well as some Japanese.
Cumilla is on the Dhaka-Chittagong (N1) Hwy and about 2.5 hours or 100 km away from Dhaka.
- 1 Cumilla railway station (কুমিল্লা রেলওয়ে স্টেশন).
- 1 Shalban Vihara, Comilla University Road, 24no Word Comilla, Shalmanpur (8 km west of Cumilla), ☏ +880 8174066. 9AM-5PM daily. archaeological site pertaining to Buddhist vihars, that is to say, a Buddhist monastery, dating to the 7th century built under the auspices of King Bhava Deva and used by monks for prayer and religious study until the 12th century. Three sites of particular significance unearthed here are Salban Vihara, Kotila Mura and Charpatra Mura, Kotila Mura for example being where three stupas corresponding to the three deities of Buddha, Sangha, and Dharma were located. There is also a museum called the Mainamati Museum on site with more exhibits.
- 2 Comilla Jagannath Temple (Sateroratna Mandir (Seventeen Jewel Temple)) (in the center of town). Daily 6AM-9PM. This temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Jagannath and was built by the king of Tripura Ratna Manikya II during the 18th century. It houses the deities Balabhadra and Subhadra and has or had 17 towers corresponding to the jewels namesake.
- 3 Dharmasagar Pond (in the center of town). A relaxing place to be in the close of the city if the stagnant water smell doesn't get you. Big city park on the north end.
- 1 Magic Paradise Park, ☏ +880 1714130945. A kind of Bangledeshi Disneyland with Jurassic Park (Dino Park) and water park all rolled into one. Starts at Tk. 399.
- PC Restora, near the Dharmasagar, serves a Bengali specialty called chicken chaap.
- Golden Spoon Buffet Restaurant, Kazi Zahirul Qayyum Road, close to Pubali Square and south of the Dharmagasar, buffet style with tandoori chicken, rice ball with chicken, pizza, Thai soup, and other items.
- 1 Hotel Victory Abashik, Jahangir - Jom Jom Tower, 7th and 8th floor, Victoria College Road (downtown), ☏ +880 1714030094. Check-in: 23.46016, check-out: 91.18229. This one is really into pink pillows. Tower is all lit up at night. Breakfast, aircon, wifi.