Flaxton is a small town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland, Australia, near the more famous Montville and Maleny, in the northern part of the Blackall Ranges. There are excellent views of the Sunshine Coast from many places.
From Brisbane go over the Gateway Bridge and through the toll leading onto the Bruce Highway. Follow the signs to the Sunshine Coast. After 10 km take the Glass House Mountains exit on the left (there is a big brown sign mentioning Beerburrum, Maleny and Landsborough). Then look for the signs for Maleny as you transit Landsborough and begin the climb up a steep road into the Blackall Ranges towards Maleny, Montville and Mapleton. After Maleny, follow the signs towards Montville and Mapleton. Be aware that the Sunshine Coast is a popular weekend getaway for Brisbanites, so expect a slightly longer drive in this direction on a Friday afternoon. You will also have to pay the toll on the Gateway Bridge as you leave south Brisbane.
The nearest and most convenient airport (about a 45 minute drive from Flaxton) is the Sunshine Coast Airport at Marcoola. Next closest is Brisbane International Airport [dead link], slightly more than 90 minutes away by road.
Flaxton and the other communities of the Blackall Ranges are spread out over a fairly large area. You'll need a car to enjoy your stay here.
- Range Taxi Service, Tel: 0418 711 989 (mobile) 24 hours.
- Flaxton Barn, 445 Flaxton Drive, ☎ . Books and crafts for sale, plus beverages and light refreshments. Open daily.
- Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk. 58 km walk through the Blackall Ranges, starting from Lake Baroon near Montville. Subtropical rainforest, tall open eucalypt forest and picturesque waterfalls. Entire walk takes 4-6 days. Tel: 13 13 04 to book campsites, which have water, toilets and platforms.
- Flaxton Gardens, ☎ . Flaxton Drive. Wine cellar offering tastings and sales, plus a pottery, cafe, and gift shop. Excellent views.
- Flaxton Inn Restaurant, ☎ . Flaxton Mill Road.
- Le Relais Bressan, 344 Flaxton Drive, ☎ .
- Flaxton Barn (Country Cafe), 445 Flaxton Drive (4km north of Montville), ☎ . 8AM-5PM. Home baking is their speciality - Home baked apple pie, scones, quiche or chunky beef pie with garden salad.
- Avocado Grove Bed & Breakfast, 10 Carramar Court, ☎ . Off Ensbey Road. Tranquility on 1.4 hectares. Great views. 'On call' natural therapies professional.
- Peppertree Cottage, 10 Glen Eden Court, ☎ . Air conditioned bed and breakfast on two acres.
- [dead link]Tanderra House, 11 Flaxton Mill Road, ☎ . Bed and breakfast. Also on offer is therapeutic massage and yoga classes, followed by a guided meditation in the garden.