Oceania > Australia > Victoria (state) > Melbourne > Melbourne/Frankston
Frankston is a town 40km from Melbourne on the edge of Port Phillip Bay often referred to as the "Gateway to the Mornington Peninsula". Frankston is where the electric train line terminates. If you are a backpacker heading to the Mornington Peninsula, French Island or Phillip Island chances are you're going to go through Frankston. It has a beautiful beach, many restaurants, bars and shops.
Frankston is home to several festivals;
- Waterfront Festival in January.
- Ventana Fiesta, a Latin American, Portuguese and Spanish festival in March.
- Pets Day Out in October.
- Festival of Lights in late November.
A Sand Sculpting display runs from December to April.
- 2 Frankston Visitor Information Centre, 7N Pier Promenade, Frankston Waterfront, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 781 bus from Mt Martha via Mt Eliza, Mornington.  [dead link]
- 782 bus from Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings. 
- 783 bus from Hastings via Coolart Road. 
- 782/783 combined from Hastings/Flinders via Coolart Road. 
- 788 bus from Portsea via Dromana, Rosebud, Sorrento. 
- 901 bus from Melbourne airport.  [dead link]
- Frankston and Peninsula Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus. 
- Frankston Taxis, ☎ .
- 1 Frankston Arts Centre, Davey Street, Frankston, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 2 Frankston Library, 60 Playne St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Books, CD's, DVD's, Kids Storytime, Internet.
- 3 George Pentland Botanic Gardens, Williams Street. Nov-Mar 7am-9pm; Apr-Oct 7am-6pm.
- 4 McClelland Gallery & Sculpture Park, 360 - 390 McClelland Drive, Langwarrin, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday to Sunday 10am-5pm Closed on Mondays and some Public Holidays.
- 1 Barefoot Bowls, Cnr Yuille & William Streets, ☎ . Every Friday evening at 6.00pm [weather permitting] until dusk, during daylight savings. It’s a fun night for families and a sausage sizzle is included. $8.00 per adult and $2.00 for children.
- 2 Centenary Park Public Golf Course.
- 3 Frankston Golf Club.
- 4 Long Island Country Club.
- 9 Frankston Reservoir.
- [dead link]Cycling. There are several bicycle paths around Frankston, the longest follows the train line from Frankston to Baxter
- 16 Frankston BMX Club, 101R Old Wells Road, Seaford. BMX Track
- 18 Langwarrin Pump Track, Lloyd Park, Cranbourne/Frankston Road, Langwarrin. BMX Track
- 19 PARC - Peninsula Aquatic Recreation Centre, Cnr Cranbourne Rd & Olive Grove (next to Frankston Skatepark), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Pools, water slides, gym. Prices vary depending on time and what services you'll be using.
- 20 Seaford Skate Park, 50R Railway Parade, Seaford.
- 1 [dead link]Frankston Sunday Market, Young Street, ☎ . Sundays 8:00am to 1:00pm. Art and craft, plants, second hand goods, jam donuts. Entry $1.00.
- Seaford Farmers Market, Station Street, Seaford (adjacent to the Seaford Community Centre). The third Sunday of each month from 8:00am to 1:00pm. Fresh produce.
- 2 Wells Street Market, Wells Street. Thursday 9am to 2pm.
There are several food courts located within the shopping centers offering a wide range of food such as Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Italian, not to mention all the regular fast food chains. Pizza, Fish and Chips there is no shortage of choices.
- 1 Kasturi Indian Restaurant, Shop 5, 20A Beach Street, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Dinner: 5pm to 10.30pm 7 Days, Lunch: 12pm to 2.30pm Thur and Fri.
- 2 Los Argentinos Charcoal Grill Restaurant, 14 Beach Street, ☎ . Dinner daily 5pm=11pm, Lunch Saturday and Sunday 1pm-3pm.
- 3 Flanagans, 508 Nepean Highway, ☎ .
- 4 Epiphany nightclub, 480 Nepean Highway, ☎ .
- 5 Grand Hotel, 499 Nepean Highway, ☎ .
- 7 Humdinger, 101 Young Street, ☎ . Closed Monday. Tuesday to Thursday 12pm to 10pm, Friday and Saturday 12pm to 12am, Sunday 12pm to 9pm.
- 8 Pint & Pickle Tavern, 448A Nepean Highway, ☎ .
- 9 Robin Hood Tavern, 506 Nepean Highway, ☎ .
- 10 Strike Bowling Bar, Wells St, ☎ 1300 787 453 (local rate). 10am-late. Ten Pin Bowling. Thursday's Drink 2 Bowl deal offers a free game with any drink purchased.
- 11 TwentyFirst Century, ☎ .
- BIG4 Frankston Holiday Park, 2 Robinsons Road (Cnr Frankston-Flinders & Robinsons Rds), ☎ . Camp site for two adults $33 - $39.
- Free internet at shopping centers and Frankston library.
Frankston station serves as a transit hub for bus and train services.
- Flinders - Bus 782 Frankston - Flinders via Coolart Road, Hastings. 
- Melbourne - By Train. 
- Melbourne Airport - 901 Bus  [dead link] or Airport Shuttle - a much faster more expensive option than the 901 bus. 
- Mount Martha - Take the 781 bus via Mt Eliza and Mornington.  [dead link]
- Portsea - Take the 788 bus via Dromana, Rosebud and Sorrento. 
- Stony Point - Take the train to Stony Point where ferry's leave for French Island and Phillip Island.