Keflavík (pronounce it "kep-la-vik") is a town in Southwest Iceland that is home to the country's international airport. The population is approximately 13,000.
- 1 Keflavík International Airport (Keflavíkurflugvöllur KEF IATA). The most important point of entry to Iceland from abroad. The town of Keflavik is easily accessible from the airport. Simply follow signs indicating "Keflavik." The airport is about 5 km away from the town proper.
Transport between the airport and Reykjavik city is by road only. The distance is 50 km. A new fast freeway (dual carriageway road) was opened 2008. The buses have a timetable adapted to the flight schedule. They go to and from the Reykjavik bus terminal, taking around 45 minutes. To get to the domestic airport a bus change is needed at the bus terminal.
The town itself is small and easily explored on foot.
Whale watching tours leave from the harbor. These tours generally last about 3 hours and see dolphins, orca, minke and humpback whales. There is also a festival of lights in late August. Numerous walking paths lead out from town, including a stone path along the water that meanders several miles past seabirds to the lighthouse on the point.
- Rain (Restaurant/Bar), Hafnargata 19 (Downtown Keflavik), ☎ . 11:00-01:00. By the seaside with beautiful view over the ocean. They profess to serve fine food and wine.
- Guesthouse 1x6, Vesturbraut 3 (in the old cultural part of Keflavík overlooking the ocean), ☎ , e-mail: booking@1×6.is. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 11:00. Charming and unique guesthouse created by a local wood sculptor. Offers a giant hot tub in the garden and an early bird breakfast with both homemade and organic products. Free Wi-Fi. Free pick-up from flights for air passengers, free drop off for departing air passengers. No pick up from car rental. 20.000kr.
- 1 Hotel Keflavik. Offers a full gym, wireless internet, a restaurant/bar, and free transfers to the airport. The hotel will pay for the taxi ride to the airport when you leave, but not from the airport on your day of arrival ( costs approx 2500kr). Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Cheaper rates can be obtained via internet booking on the hotel's web site. 12.480 (winter) and 16.640 (summer) when booked online.
- Flughotel (next to the Hotel Keflavik).