Knokke-Heist is a beach resort and town of 33,000 inhabitants on the Belgian sea coast in the northern corner of West Flanders. The mayor, Count Leopold Lippens, said, quoting his own words, that he wants that worldly people would feel at home here. Different clubs like tennis and golf clubs are available.
Knokke-Heist consists out of the proper centres of Knokke and Heist, with Knokke bordering the Netherlands.
The Belgian coastal tram has a few stops in the municipality. Another option is to go on foot or by bike.
The coastal tram (de Kusttram in Dutch) is the easiest way to reach Knokke-Heist by public transport. The tram line runs from De Panne near the French border to Knokke as final stop. The 1 Kusttram Terminal Station is located very close to the main railway station for Knokke.
A different option is to take a train. There are direct connections to Bruges, Ghent and Brussels. When in the train to Knokke-Heist, make sure that you sit in the right part of the train, as they split the train in Bruges, with the other half operating to Blankenberge. There are three train stations in Knokke-Heist, and the trains stop in all of them. These are 2 Station Heist, 3 Station Duinbergen and the terminal station, closest to the actual centre of Knokke, 4 Station Knokke. Usually trains go for Knokke once an hour, but the schedule should be checked in advance on the website of the Belgian national railway company NMBS.
- 1 Het Zwin Nature Reserve, Graaf Leon Lippensdreef 10, ☏ . This nature reserve is partially located in Belgium and partly in the Netherlands. These salt marshes partially flood almost every high time. This nature reserve is of big importance because of the many bird species that can be found here. A visitor centre will help you to get more background information on the park. It is possible to visit the park on your own or with a guide. There is the possibility to hire an English speaking guide. €12 for normal ticket, €6 for children aged 6-17, children younger than 6 for free.
- 1 Royal Zoute Golf Club, Caddiespad 14, ☏ . Daily 8:00—20:00.
- 2 Royal Zoute Tennis Club, Astridlaan 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Frituur Jurrie, Graaf Jansdijk 19, ☏ . Closed Mon-Tue. One of the most appreciated places in Knokke for the typical Belgian fries and snacks.
- 2 Côte Belge Bar-Bistro, Sasstraat 53, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Closed Mon, Tue. October-March also closed on Wed. Small restaurant located next to the historic channel. lunch menu €25, dinner menu €37.
- 3 Bartholomeus, Zeedijk-Heist 267, ☏ . Closed Tue-Thu. Prestigious restaurant with excellent food. 3 course lunch menu for €49. 4 course menu €83.