Baranagar is on the banks of the holy river Ganges. In the 17th century, Dutch merchants made a residence here and made it a large business hub at that time, and the center of the jute industry. It has become a major industrial centre for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery, chemicals, castor oil, several jute products, matches, and numerous cotton-processing companies. Baranagar is very rich culturally, a good tourist attraction of Kolkata.
Many people of neighbouring states such as Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Assam, Tripura and also Punjabis live here. Most speak Bengali. Punjabi Sikh people at Dunlop and Bonhoogly speak mainly in Gurumukhi to each other and in Hindi with other religious people. Biharis and Jharkhandis people speak mainly in Bhojpuri to each other and in Hindi with others. Most locals also understand English.
Road, rail, water, all types of transport facilities are available.
- 1 Baranagar Road railway station. One of the oldest stations of Kolkata suburban railway, on the Sealdah-Dankuni line.
- 2 Noapara metro station. The northern terminus and largest station of Kolkata Metro.
- 3 Baranagar metro station.
There are several state highways and other bus roads, like Barrackpore Trunk Road (State Highway 2) and Belghoria Expressway. They intersect at Dunlop Flyover, a large viaduct. People from Kolkata, Howrah, Hoogly and other districts can easily come here by these routes. Besides these, many buses are available here to go North Bengal, Digha, Medinipore, Bankura etc.
Ferry services are available at Kuthi Ghat.
Baranagar has a well transport chain for travelling the tourist spots and going different sides of the city. Buses, cycle rickshaws, auto rickshaws, toto rickshaws are available for journey. You can find auto stands at Dunlop, Bonhooghly, Ananya, Tobin Road, Sinthi, Banerjee para, Kuthi ghat, Noapara. You also could travel by yellow taxi(s), "Ola", "Uber".
- 1 Baranagar Math. First monastery of Ramakrishna Order. After death of Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda and some of his other disciples permanently started to live here. In here, first they decided to establish Belur Math.
- 2 Alambazar Math. Second monastery of Ramakrishna Order. Swami Vivekananda first put up at here after coming back from abroad.
- 3 Kripamayee Kali Temple (Jay Mitra Kali Bari).
- 4 Indian Statistical Institute (ISI). Founded by Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in 1932, the institute is now considered one of the foremost centres in the world for training and research in statistics. It is also an educational tourist spot.
- 5 Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School (BRKMAHS), 37, Gopal Lal Tagore Road, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Founded by Yogindranath Tagore (the disciple of Swami Brahmananda) in 1912. This institution celebrates many cultural programmes throughout the year. It is also an educational tourist spot. Many people come to watch those cultural events every year.
- 6 Dunlop Gurudwara, Dunlop Flyover.
- 7 St. James' Church, 13, Kashi Nath Dutta Road.
- 8 Mahamilan Math, 7/7, PWD Road. The Annapurna Temple and the Omkarnath Temple are two attractions of here.
- 9 Pathbari Temple, Baranagar Jute Mill Area banarjee para more. A place where Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the great religious leader, set his foot on his way to Puri in the early 16th century.
- 10 Glass Temple (Kacher Mandir), 1, Pran Krishna Saha Lane.
- 11 Kuthi Ghat. A place on the banks of river Ganges, established by Dutch merchants in 17th century, as Dutch Kuthi, one of the heritage sites of North Kolkata. After that this the place was named "Kuthi Ghat".
Besides these, there are many old temples and mosques here. Throughout the year many cultural festivals like Durga Puja, and Kali Puja, are well celebrated here. Baranagar is famous for Durga Puja in north Kolkata suburban area. Every winter "Ajanta Circus" is held at Sinthi Circus Maidan.
In Baranagar, several entertainment facilities are available.
- 1 Sonali Cinema Hall, 140, Barrackpore Trunk Road (Near Baranagar Road railway station). Latest Tollywood (Bengali films), Bollywood, Hollywood films are shown here.
- 2 Narayani Cinema Hall, 15, Surya Sen Road. Latest Tollywood, Bollywood, Bhojpuri films are shown here.
- 1 Chandrani Pearls, 153/1, Barrackpore Trunk Road (Near Baranagar Road Railway Station), ☏ . 10:30AM - 9PM. Ornaments of pearls.
- More supermarket, W-block, Binayak Enclave, Sadhan Pally, ☏ . Grocery store
- 2 Pantaloons, 243/1, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ . 11AM - 9:30PM.
- 3 Prestige Smart Kitchen Swastik, 266, Barrackpore Trunk Road (Near Baranagar Police Station), ☏ . 11AM - 9PM.
- 4 World of Titan, 269/1, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ . 10AM - 8:30PM. watches, belts, wallets, perfume, spectacles, sunglasses.
Besides these, at Dunlop, Bonhooghly, Alambazar, Tobin Road, Netaji Colony, Baranagar Bazzar, Sinthi locality, you can find big markets for several kinds of shops for daily life's useful things.
- 1 Anandamayee Sweets, 209, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ . 7AM - 10PM. Traditional Bengal sweets, curd (in Bengali - "dahi"), ice cream, dhokla, lassi.
- 2 Cafe Coffee Day, Barrackpore Trunk Road. 10AM - 10PM.
- 3 Dhaka Birayani House, 144, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Baranagar Road railway station), ☏ . 11AM - 10:30PM.
- 4 Domino's Pizza, 177, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Baranagar Road railway station), ☏ . 11AM - 11PM. Pizza, chicken oriented foods.
- 5 Food Village, 144r, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Baranagar Road railway station), ☏ . Noon - 10:45PM.
- 6 Ganguram Sweets, 269/2, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Baranagar Police Station), ☏ . 7AM - 10PM.
- Haldiram's Confectioners, 140, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Baranagar Road railway station), ☏ . 9AM-2PM & 5-9PM.
- 7 New sher-e-Punjab hotel, 131, Barrackpore Trunk Road (near Indian Statistical Institute), ☏ . 11:30AM - 10:45PM.
- 8 The Cric World, 44/51, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ . Noon - 11PM. Multicuisine restaurant.
Several bars are available for drinks throughout Baranagar. You also can get lassi in several sweets shops, in Anandamayee Sweets many kinds of lassi like mango, dahi etc. are available. In the Alambazar area, you could get lassi in a sweet shop. In the Dunlop area, near Baranagar railway station and Sonali cinema hall, several fruit juice shops are available. You can also visit "Dunlop Coffee House" for coffee.
There are some lodges and hotels throughout Baranagar city for the tourists to stay for a fortnight or so.
Public call booths can be found easily throughout the city from where local, national, and international calls can be made. Otherwise local sim cards can be used for connectivity. Cell phone coverage is excellent with all major mobile service providers offering their services in the city.
- Police, ☏ 100.
- Fire, ☏ 101.
- 1 Baranagar Police Station, 47, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ .
- 2 Baranagar Fire Station, 282, Deshpran Sasmal Ave, ☏ .
- Young Corner, ☏ .
- Medicine World, Gopal Lal Tagore Road (Near ISI), ☏ , .
- Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy Seva Samity, 156, Maraja Nanda Kumar Road, ☏ .
- 3 Baranagar State General Hospital, 108, Akshay Kumar Mukherjee Road, ☏ .
- 4 Baine Hospital, 123/1, Gopal Lal Tagore Road, ☏ .
- 5 Disha Eye Hospital, 277/4, Barrackpore Trunk Road, ☏ . 9AM - 6PM.
- 6 Baranagar Matri Sadan, 10/2/F, Deshbandhu Road (East) (Near Baranagar Municipality), ☏ .
- 7 Indian Institute of Psychometry (ISSP), 117, Barrackpore Trunk Road (Near Baranagar Road railway station), ☏ . 11AM - 5PM. Psychiatric hospital.
- 8 Indian Institute for the Orthopedically Handicapd (NIOH), Barrackpore Trunk Road, Bonhooghly, ☏ . 9AM - 5PM. Orthopedic hospital.
Baranagar is one of the most air polluted cities. Many cars pass through Dunlop crossing, so this area is very much air polluted. Use a mask and handkerchief for this area. Baranagar is safe for tourists.
- Northern fringes of Kolkata
- North Kolkata
- East Kolkata
- South Kolkata
- Southern fringes of Kolkata