Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > London > London/Hammersmith and Fulham
Hammersmith and Fullham is a borough in west London, and boasts 3 Premiership football teams within its boundaries.
This is a large district of the inner west of London.
The most well known part of the district is perhaps Shepherd's Bush which has long been a first home in London to second and first generation immigrants. While this is less true today than in the past, the area undergoing gradual gentrification, beautification and development, there is still a substantial expatriate population (including a great many travelling Antipodeans).
Culturally, Shepherd's Bush is well known as the former home of the BBC's TV output, with the Television Centre located on Wood Lane in the White City sub-district. The Bush was also the fictional home of Steptoe & Son at Oil Drum Lane. The members of two influential British bands, The Who and the Sex Pistols grew up in Shepherd's Bush. It is also the home of newly promoted football team Queens Park Rangers (QPR), who play in the top-level Premier League.
Elsewhere in the district, the residential riverside areas of Fulham have been hugely gentrified in the past 20 years and it is now sometimes difficult to determine where (previously much grander) Chelsea ends and Fulham begins. Fulham is also home to the football teams Fulham FC, Queens Park Rangers and Chelsea FC (at Fulham Broadway).
Tube stations servicing this borough are:
- Shepherd's Bush (Central line)
- Shepherd's Bush Market (Circle, Hammersmith & City lines)
- Wood Lane (Circle, Hammersmith & City lines)
- White City (Central line)
- Hammersmith (Piccadilly, District, Circle, Hammersmith & City lines)
- Goldhawk Road (Circle, Hammersmith & City lines)
- Barons Court (District and Piccadilly lines)
- West Kensington (District line)
- Fulham Broadway (District line)
- Parson's Green (District line)
- Putney Bridge (District line)
- Ravenscourt Park (District line)
Bus 94 runs between Piccadilly Circus, via Oxford Street, Notting Hill, Holland Park, Shepherd's Bush and Chiswick to Acton Green (also a Night Bus service).
Buses 11, 14, 22, 28, 74, 190, 211, 295, 391, 414, 430, and night buses N11, N22 and N28, all stop in Fulham.
The A219 links Fulham with the A205 (South Circular) and with the A4.
- 1 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, Chelsea Harbour, SW10 0XG (train: Imperial Wharf; tube: Fulham Broadway; boat: Chelsea Harbour), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 09:30-17:00 daily. The cutting edge of British design from Furniture to Fabrics and Lighting. Some showrooms actually sell their designs (at impossible prices). There is also a nice café here.
- 2 Fulham Palace, Bishop's Ave, SW6 6EA (tube: Putney Bridge), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sa 11:00-14:00, Su 11:30-15:30, M Tu noon-16:00. The former retreat of the Bishops of London now incorporates Bishop's Park and is a lovely green area in a heavily built part of London as well as home to some important historic buildings. Also a museum which charts the history of the palace back to the 11th century and a small cafe. Free.
- 3 Gandhi's Student Accommodation, 20 Baron's Court Road, W14 9DT (tube: West Kensington). A blue plaque marks to house where Mahatma Gandhi lived as a law student.
- 4 Hurlingham Park (tube: Putney Bridge). A large open park which is mainly sports pitches. It does though have some lovely frontage right onto the Thames and makes for a lovely walk for that reason.
- 5 Kensal Green Cemetery, Harrow Road, W10 4RA (tube: Kensal Green), ☎ , fax: . One of the "Magnificent Seven" Georgian-Victorian cemeteries in London.
- 6 Queens Club, Palliser Rd, W14 9EQ (tube: Barons Court or West Kensington), ☎ . M–Su 07:00–23:00. hosts the traditional mens warm-up tennis competition, before the Wimbledon Chamipionship. This grand Victorian structure is home to other raquet sports such as badminton and squash. A new National Tennis Centre has been built further west at Roehampton, to hopefully end the Wimbledon English-winner drought.
- 7 Ravenscourt Park, Padderswick Rd (tube: Ravencourt Park). An eight hectare park in Hammersmith with a long history. It is home to a lake, tea house, tennis courts, an all-weather football pitch, a bowling green, areas in which to just sit or play, a garden centre and some truly ancient trees, particularly cedars.
- 8 Wormwood Scrubs (The Scrubs) (tube: East Acton). One of the largest areas of common land in London. Its sporting facilities include several football pitches (Queens Park Rangers F.C. used to play here in the Victorian age).
Cinema, theatre and concerts
- 1 Bush Hall, 310 Uxbridge Rd, W12 7LJ (tube: Shepherd's Bush Market), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Originally a dance hall, this venue now hosts regular events such as live music and burlesque performances.
- 2 Bush Theatre, Uxbridge Rd, W12 8LJ (tube: Shepherd's Bush Market or Shepherd's Bush; near Shepherd's Bush Green), ☎ . Home of the Alternative Theatre Company and dedicated to breaking new plays and new writers.
- 3 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire, Shepherd's Bush Green, W12 8TT (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Built in 1903 and at the centre of the entertainment scene ever since, the Empire is one of London's premier live music venues, with an emphasis on contemporary rock and pop.
- 4 Riverside Studios, 1 Crisp Rd, W6 9RL (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Riverside Studios is a production studio, theatre and independent cinema on the banks of the River Thames in Hammersmith.
- 5 Vue Cinema Fulham Broadway, Fulham Broadway Shopping Centre, Fulham Rd, SW6 1BW (tube: Fulham Broadway; 1st floor, opposite the escalators), ☎ . Modern multiplex showing the latest mainstream films.
- 6 Vue Cinema Westfield, Westfield Shopping Town, White City, W12 7GF (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . Modern multiplex showing the latest mainstream films.
Hammersmith and Fulham is well stocked when it comes to football clubs, a legacy of its working-class past.
- 7 Chelsea FC, Stamford Bridge, Fulham Rd, SW6 1HS (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ . Despite the name, this club is actually ironically located in Fulham. Stamford Bridge has tours on non-matchdays, though the tickets are fairly pricey, as is the Club Shop for souvenirs. It is the one of the best supported teams, hence tickets are hard to come by, unlike QPR and Fulham to a lesser extent. The stadium has an illustrious history, dating back to before the foundation of the team, and is worth a visit as it may not be around in a couple of years time, if Chelsea's owner has his way.
- 8 Fulham FC, Craven Cottage, Stevenage Rd, SW6 6HH (about 10 min walk from both Putney Bridge and Parsons Green tube stations), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The home of Premier League football team Fulham. The oldest team in London. Tours of their quirky old stadium on non-matchdays are fun.
- 9 Queen's Park Rangers FC, Loftus Rd Stadium, South Africa Rd, W12 7PJ (Loftus Rd is about a 5-min walk from White City, Shepherd's Bush Market and Wood Ln tube stations, and is situated just north of the Uxbridge Rd), ☎ . The home of Premiership football team QPR.
Shopping in this area runs the gamut from street markets to luxury shops in the largest enclosed shopping centre (or "mall" to American travellers) in Europe.
- 1 Fulham Broadway (above Fulham Broadway tube station). Small shopping centre built around the tube station of the same name. Includes a supermarket, some restaurants and cafés along with its other shops, as well as a cinema and pub.
- 2 New Shepherd's Bush Market, Uxbridge Rd (tube: Shepherd's Bush Market), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M–Sa 09:00–18:00; Su closed. Privately owned street market.
- 3 North End Road Market, Running the length of North End Rd, between Lille Rd and Fulham Rd (tube: Fulham Broadway). M–Sa 08:00–18:00. A London street market that's high on character and low on tourists, this has been running since the 1880s. A good place for fresh and affordable fruit and vegetables, household goods, and other items.
- 4 Shepherds Bush Market, Between Uxbridge Rd and Goldhawk Rd (tube: Shepherd's Bush Market or Goldhawk Rd). An astonishing array of goods with Afro-Caribbean, Middle Eastern and Indian cultural influences vying for the shopper's attention.
- 5 Westfield Shopping Centre, Ariel Way, W12 7GF (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . M–Sa 10:00–22:00; Su noon–18:00. The largest urban shopping mall in Europe. Vast array of stores, restaurants and a 14 screen cinema.
There are loads of great restaurants in Fulham along the high streets and also a distinct lack of any chain restaurants (don't worry, you can find all of these along Putney High St if you're desperate). It is often a good idea to just start walking along any of the main roads and you should have more choice of places to eat than you will ever need.
Uxbridge Road is noted for good-value and diverse restaurants.
- 1 Abu Zaad, 29 Uxbridge Rd, W12 8LH (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . M-Su 11:00-23:00. Authentic Syrian fare. Great value. Averge £10.
- 2 King Solomon's, 300 Uxbridge Rd (tube: Shepherd's Bush Market), ☎ . Try the falafel kebab and hummus—delicious! The take away menu is well priced, falafel is only £3. £3-7.
- 3 Raj of India, 46 Shepherd's Bush Road W6 7PJ (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . Very reasonable prices and good service at this popular Indian restaurant.
- 4 Red Sea Restaurant, 382 Uxbridge Rd, W12 7LL (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . All manner of Middle Eastern food with Eritrean and Ethiopian also town in! All at very reasonable prices.
- 5 Fiesta Havana, 490-492 Fulham Rd, SW6 5NH (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ . Latin themed restaurant with live DJs and staff who will give you Salsa classes in between courses! The set Tapas menu for £10 is very popular.
- 6 The River Cafe, Thames Wharf, Rainville Rd, W6 9HA (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 12:30–14:15/19:00–21:00; F 12:30–14:15/19:00–21:15; Sa 12:30–14:30/19:00–21:15; Su noon–15:00. Classy Italian and modern gourmet cuisine at Rainville Rd, Fulham, (not to be confused with the cafe at Craven Cottage which is open non-matchdays and nice for a quick bite or afternoon tea). A 3-course meal will set you back from £60-100, with lovely views of the Thames, you can often glimpse a celeb or two dining here.
Shepherds Bush Green contains many large chain pubs. Uxbridge Road and Goldhawk Road have smaller, more laid-back bars and gastro-pubs. Fulham is full of highly rated, popular pubs some of them right by the Thames.
- 1 The Dove, 19 Upper Mall, W6 9TA (tube: Ravenscourt Park), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M–Sa 11:00–23:00; Su noon–23:30. This pretty 17th-century riverside establishment may have London's smallest bar (room just to the right of the entrance), as well as an outside seating area with river views.
- 2 Duke on the Green, 235 New King's Rd, SW6 4XG (tube: Parson's Green), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M–F 11:00–midnight; Sa 10:30–midnight; Su 10:30–23:30. Very popular Young's pub at the Fulham end of the King's Rd.
- 3 The White Horse, 1-3 Parson's Green, SW6 4UL (tube: Parsons Green), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Awarded best pub of the year several times, it offers an extensive choice of local and imported beers, both draught and bottled. It also serves restaurant grade meals. Particularly interesting, each one of them is matched with a beer. Somewhat expensive, but it is a must.
Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith are well known as the home of many discount hotels (some of low quality, unfortunately) and B&Bs. With the gradual gentrification of the area, more comfortable and expensive options are appearing.
- 1 Abbey Hotel, 23 Wood Ln, W12 7DP (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Budget hotel close to the BBC Television Centre. Discounts for long stays. £69.
- 2 Adria Hotel, 44 Glenthorne Rd, W6 0LS (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ . A four generation family run hotel with excellent transport connections and good value for money. Regularly refurbished. £69.
- 3 Grantly Hotel, 50 Shepherds Bush Green, W12 8PS (tube: Goldhawk Rd), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. No-frills budget hotel in an converted Edwardian house. Single, Double and Family rooms available. £67.
- 4 Hotel Sergul, 87 Shepherds Bush Rd, W6 7LR (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Affordable smart hotel with excellent links to West End and close to Olympia and Earls Court exhibition centre. £40.
- 5 Jim's Guest House, 26 Aldine St, W12 8AN (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Good value bed and breakfast. Family suite available. From £79.
- 6 Plaza Hotel, 53 Shepherds Bush Rd, W6 7LU (tube: Goldhawk Rd), ☎ . Actually three hotels all run by the same company - The Plaza, The Rex and The Acropolis. All similar standard and nearby to each other. From about £40.
- 7 Royal Guest House, 47 Shepherds Bush Rd, W6 7LU (tube: Goldhawk Rd), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Very cheap guesthouse within walking distance of Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith. Triple rooms available. From £45.
- 8 Jurys Inn Chelsea Hotel, Imperial Rd, Imperial Wharf, SW6 2GA (train: Imperial Wharf; tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ . Affordable hotel of one of the better hotel chains. All rooms are ensuite and large by London standards. From £79.
- 9 La Reserve Hotel Chelsea, 422-428 Fulham Rd, SW6 1DU (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Small hotel offering 43 en-suite bedrooms in the extreme south-east of the district bordering Chelsea. The hotel overlooks Chelsea Football Club. £95.
- 10 Novotel London West, 1 Shortlands, W6 8DR (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ . Very large business-class hotel. The rooms are reasonably priced with basic amenities in each room. Wireless internet available, or basic internet through the room's television. English breakfast available at extra charge. Restaurant/Bar/Lounge, massage center, concierge, cash machine, shoe shine machine, tourist information desk, porter, dry cleaning/ironing available, currency exchange, pets allowed with deposit. From about £130.
- 11 Premier Inn, 3 Putney Bridge Approach, SW6 3JD (tube: Putney Bridge), ☎ . In the extreme south of the district close to the Thames From £90.
- 12 The Ville's B&B, 39 Brookville Road, SW6 7BH (tube: Parsons Green), ☎ . In the friendly area with fashionable restaurants, cafes, pubs and antique shops From £80.
- 13 K-West, Richmond Way, W14 0AX (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ . Modern, fashionable hotel with a day spa. From £150.
- 14 Lamington Serviced Apartments, 109 Hammersmith Gr, W6 0NQ (tube: Hammersmith or Goldhawk Road), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxury short term serviced apartments for business and leisure guests. Spacious and modern apartments in a quiet residential area, with local restaurants, delicatessens, and amenities, and in walking distance of major transport links. From around £68.50.
|Routes through Hammersmith and Fulham|
|END ← North London ←||W E||→ Paddington-Maida Vale → Bloomsbury|
|END ← West London ←||W E||→ Notting Hill-North Kensington → Bloomsbury-Soho|
|END ←||W E||→ Notting Hill-North Kensington → Mayfair-Marylebone|
|Richmond-Kew (Richmond branch) / END (Ealing branch) ← West London ←||W E||→ South Kensington-Chelsea → Westminster|
|Wimbledon ← Wandsworth ←||W E||→ South Kensington-Chelsea → Westminster / Mayfair-Marylebone|
|END ←||W E||→ Notting Hill-North Kensington → Bloomsbury-Camden|
|Heathrow Airport / North London ← West London ←||W E||→ South Kensington-Chelsea → Westminster-Mayfair-Marylebone|
|North London ← =Hammersmith ← South Kensington-Chelsea ←||N S||→ South Kensington-Chelsea → Fulham → Wandsworth|