See Sunshine Coast guide for how to get into the region.
Car is by far the easiest way to see most attractions in a short amount of time, or at your own pace. Larger car hire companies may offer relocations to Brisbane Airport or the Gold Coast. Try the major national renters with services at Maroochy Airport or other local independents that hire new cars.
- Cut Price Car Rentals
- East Coast Car Rentals.
- Suncoast Car Rentals
- Select Rent A Car
- Thrifty Car Rental
By public transport
The Sunshine Coast is part of the Queensland translink area network. Bus network runs in most directions but is easy access from Maroochydore all the way to Noosa’s Hastings street. Easiest way to travel with Translink bus services is via the Go-Card which is available in most newsagencies. The Go-Cards will work on all public transport trains, buses and ferry services in Queensland. Sunshine Plaza is a hub for the bus services in the Maroochy area.
- Cotton Tree.
- Old Woman Island.
- Alexandra Headland. A relaxed beachside community known by locals as "Alex".
- Maroochy Wetlands Sanctuary (in the suburb of Bli Bli). Has an easy access boardwalk through pristine wetland areas where fish, crabs, frogs, birds and other flora and fauna breed and feed.
- Buderim Forest Park and Falls. A short walk through rainforest to enjoy a small waterfall.
- Wildlife HQ Zoo. This is a zoo with a ZAA Accreditation Program, which means they have animal welfare in mind.
- Cycle. The Sunshine Coast boasts over 80kms of coastal cycling paths and these run right through the heart of Maroochydore and surrounding suburbs.
- Tree tops challenge. Treetop walking experience. See some wonderful Queensland fauna in the process.
- Top Shots Fun Park
- Walk across the Maroochy River bridge to Chambers Island
- StrEATside Markets, Corner of First Ave and South Sea Islander Way. Su, 11AM - 8PM.
- Marcoola Markets, 10 Lorraine Avenue, Marcoola. Fr, 4PM - 8PM. Farmer's market with street food and music.
- Fishermans Road Markets, Fisherman’s Road. Su, 6AM - noon. From locally made items to fresh produce
Boutique and specialty shops
- Wax Buildup - the only place in Maroochydore that you will find a great selection of new and old vinyl records, good coffee, and pastries.
- Sunshine Plaza, Horton Parade, ☏ . A shopping mall with large outdoor areas around a waterway. Normal chain stores are represented, but there are also paddle boats and quite a few eateries alfresco style.
There are many great food options in Maroochydore, and especially so as there is much fresh and local produce available Locally in the Sunshine Coast hinterland areas, many of the locally run restaurants and cafes provide the freshest and localist food options. This is a great way to experience local culture and enjoy more of what the region has on offer. Here are a few options:
Restaurants - available only locally (needs checking)
- La Cantina = street eats, tacos, margaritas, street art
- India Today
- Thai Mangoes restaurant
- Cala Luna Italian Restaurant
- Sun See Chinese Restaurant
- Xings Chinese Restaurant
- Maroochy Chinese Takeaway
Restaurants - available Australia Wide
- Toscanis Café Bar Restaurant
Fast Food Locally Owned:
- Bli Bli Pizza Shop
- Maroochydore Seafood, Fish and Chips
- Lucky's Dial-A-Pizza
Craft beer is a popular draw card on the Sunshine Coast and there are plenty of options in Maroochydore:
- Sunshine Coast Brewery in Kunda Park Maroochydore - They are boutique and serve all the favourites as well as their own ginger beer.
- Sunshine Brewery in Maroochydore - IPA’s, summer ale,
- Your Mates Brewing Company - Whether you go for the Larry, Macca, Sally or Eddie.
- Pig 'N' Whistle Sunshine Plaza. Brews their own IPA, available on tap. A rare find in Australia.
- Kiki Bar - some spice mixed in with the traditional cocktaiL
- Banyandah Towers, 150 Duporth Ave., ☏ . 3.5 star apartment
- Maroochydore YHA Backpacker, 24 Schirrmann Drive, ☏ .
- Suncoast Backpackers Lodge, 50 Parker Street, ☏ .
- 1 Maroochy River Resort & Bungalows (Maroochy River Bungalows), 38-46 David Low Way, Maroochydore (behind the Waterfront Hotel & BWS), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Self contained family holiday cabins. Private boat ramp, kayaks, tennis, bbqs, pools, sunlounges. Close to the action but away from the rat race. $350-1400 per week.
- The Sebel Maroochydore, 20 Aerodrome Road, ☏ . Apartment-style accommodation on Maroochydore beach, views of the beach, river and hinterland.
There is free internet at the Library.
- Maroochydore Towing Service Accident and emergency vehicle recovery, Sunshine Coast areas 24hr service.
|Routes through Maroochydore|
|Noosa ← Coolum ←||N S||→ Mooloolaba → Caloundra|
|Noosa ← Coolum ←||N S||→ Mooloolaba → Brisbane via|