This district, comprising the suburbs of Kurla, Vidyavihar, Ghatkopar, Vikhroli, Kanjur Marg, Bhandup, Mulund, and Powai has developed quite a bit in the past few decades. All of them are railway stations on the Central line. Kurla is also an interchange point for the Harbour line. This is a middle-class residential area which is getting more middle-class by the year as factories are being shifted out and being replaced by shopping malls and apartment blocks.
These suburbs fall on the Central Suburban Line and can be accessed from Kurla, Vidhyavihar, Ghatkopar, Vikhroli, Kanjurmarg, Bhandup, Nahur, and Mulund Station.
A number of BEST buses serve this area and there are bus depots at Ghatkopar, Vikhroli, and Mulund.
Metered taxis can be used to get to and around this area and there are also air conditioned taxis, called cool cabs, that can be hired.
Metered rickshaws can be used to get to and around this area and is the cheapest way to get around if you do not want to use a bus or train.
- 1 Durgadi Fort, Kalyan-Ahmednagar Hwy, Annabhau Sathe Nagar, Tilak Nagar, Kalyan (Near to Bhiwandi bridge). A Fort Which was built by Shivaji Maharaj near Ganesh Ghat at Kalyan, on the Ulhas river bank. Built in Under the Marathas reign (1760-72), a new gate about 70m to the south of the Ganesh gate was opened near the mansion of Ramji Mahadeo Biwalkar. Also here is the 'Eid Ga' Mosque.
Places of Worship
- 2 Balaji Mandir, " Rang Mantap" , 607, Shree Balaji Mandir Marg , Kurla (West). (From Vidyavihar Stn. East), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Office 10.00-13.00 and 17.00-21.00.
- 3 Gaondevi mandir, Gaondevi nagar, LIG colony (Kurla Railway Station 0.5km).
- 4 Gazi Baba Dargah, Hallow Pul Road, Kurla West (From Kurla Railway Station N 0.7km).
- 5 Hanuman Mandir, AH Wadia Marg, Kurla West.
- 6 Hanuman Mandir (Hanuman Temple), Naupada Vidhyavihar Rd, Nav Pada, Kurla West (Vidyavihar Stn. 1.0km SE).
- 7 Holy Cross Church, Premier Road (Near Kohinoor City Mall).
- 8 Jagruti Vinayak Mandir, Municipal Foot Over Bridge, Brahmanwadi, Kurla West (Kurla Stn.).
- 9 Kristha Kanti Church, Hall Road, Near Karthika High School, Kurla West.
- Kurla Bene Israel prayer hall.
- 10 Maa Durga Bhakti Dham (Makka Baba Mandir Prathisthan), Chinch Bunder, Iron Market, CST Rd, Friends Colony, Hallow Pul, Kurla West (Near to CST Road).
- 11 Masjid Jamatul Quresh (E), Swadeshi Mills Road, Qureshi Nagar, Kurla (St Anthony Road off).
- 12 Mehboob-e-Subhani Masjid, Near Ahwadi Road, AH Wadia Marg, Friends Colony, Hallow Pul, Kurla West, (Near Masrani Lane and Halav Pool).
- 13 Pipe Road Mosque (Pipe Road Markaz Masjid), Moreshwar Patankar Marg, Kurla West, Kurla, (From Kurla Railway Station 0.5km N).
- Rameshwar Mandir, Hutatma Gurunath Varde Marg?, Kurla West.
- 14 Sai Baba mandir (Ayyapa Temple?), Saibaba Nagar, Shell Colony Road, (Tilak Nagar Stn.).
- 15 St. Joseph's Church, Brahmanwadi, Kurla West, (Kurla Market Bus Stop 100m).
- 16 St. Jude's Church, Savli Niketan, Near Balaji Mandir.- Near 90 Feet Road, Kajupada Pipeline, Pipeline Rd, Indira Nagar, Vidya Vihar West, Sakinaka (Subhash Nagar Metro Station).
- Shia Isna Ashari Jama Masjid.
- 17 Shree Makka Baba Mandir, Sambhaji Chowk, Moreshwar Patankar Marg, Friends Colony, Hallow Pul, (Rahat Apartment Bus Stop 0.3km West).
- 18 Station Road Mosque (Ahle Sunnat Masjid), Station Rd, Kurla West, Kurla.
- 19 Sunni Raza Jama Masjid, Kapadia Nagar, Kurla (Kurla Railway Station 1.0km S).
- 20 Targalli Mandir, Taar Galli, Jari Mari, Sakinaka (Subhash Nagar Metro Station 1.0km NE).
- 21 Uma Maheshwari Mandir And Hall, 90 Feet Rd, Sathi D Souza Nagar.
- 22 Bail Bazaar and Sindhi Camp, Lal Bahadur Shastri Rd, Bail Bajar, Sakinaka (Old Kurla, - Bus to 'Sheetal'). Is an area in the northern end of Kurla West (populated by mostly Sindhi's, Kanojia's and Malwanis)
- 23 Kurla Bus Depot, New Kurla or Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus Rd, Rupa Nagar, Kapadia Nagar, Kurla West? (Kurla Railway Station 1.1km S. - on with the adjoining areas of Taximen's colony, Kapadia nagar and Kismat nagar on CST road.). This area enjoys close proximity to the Bandra Kurla Complex. The Peninsula Technopark stands on the site of the erstwhile Swan mills.
- 24 Kurla Railway Station area (New Kurla, the southern end of Kurla.). There is the "Yadav Mandai" (Fish, Meat and Vegetable market )and the "L" ward municipal offices on Station Road and Brahminwadi on "Pipe Road" that runs along the water pipe line.
- 25 Sambhaji Chowk, New Mill Rd, Kurla West, Kurla (Old Kurla. - Kurla Railway Station 0.4km S). Sayog Nagar, Kranti Nagar slums on the banks of the mithi river.
- 26 Devi Mari Aai Seva Mandal, Station Road, Kirol Village, Vidya Vihar West (Vidyavihar Stn 50m).
- 27 Hanuman Temple, Kirol, Kirol Rd, Khalai Village, Vidya Vihar West (From Vidyavihar Stn 500m NW - At Parasnath Darshan Complex).
- 28 Hanuman Temple (Hanuman Mandir), Vidyavihar Station Skywalk, ONGC Colony (East from Vidyavihar Station 0.3km). It has gone through a major renovation. In the good old days it has a rural charm with a huge tree in the backyard.
- 29 Rajawadi Garden, Rajawadi Road Number 3, Rajawadi, Ghatkopar East (From Vidyavihar station 0.5km E). This is the first municipal garden in it is a place which morning walkers have been using since a pretty long time.
- 30 Sanyas Ashram, Rajawadi Rd NO.7, 32/33 (near the Rajawadi Garden is an old establishment. -From Vidyavihar station 0.7km E). As the name suggests, it is a transit point for the Sanyasis (the Hindu monks). It has the idols of all the major Gods and Goddesses
- 31 Shiva temple, ? (opposite to the Hanuman temple). still maintains the old charm with its huge courtyard.
- 32 Sindhu Wadi (At the junction of the MG Road and the road leading to Vidyavihar station on the Eastern side). This is a landmark arch with the words "Sindhu Wadi" and a big clock.
- 33 The Material Organisation, Mumbai, Kirol? (The staff entry gate is walking distance from Vidyavihar Railway Station). The premier Naval Store Depot of the Indian Navy.
- 34 Our Lady of Fatima Church, Opposite Jolly Gym Khana, Vidyavihar Road, Kirol Road, Kirol West, Naval Stores Depot, Vidyavihar West (From Vidyavihar station North 0.3km - Fatima High School area).
- 35 Baudh Vihar, Nityanand Nagar, Ghatkopar West area (NE 1km from Ghatkopar Stn.). South Indaian Temple of Ganesha, Mahadev Mandir, Sidha Ganesh Mandir, Sai Baba Mandir.
- 36 Gausia Masjid, Noori Masjid, Ahmedi Masjid (Gosiya Masjid), Shayir Kishan Kharat Rd, TPS Colony, Pant Nagar, Ghatkopar West (NE from Ghatkopar Stn.).
- 37 Mata Mahakali Mandir (Jari Mari Mata Mandir), RB Kadam Road, Siddharth nagar Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar (West) (Asalpha Metro Station 300m S).
- 38 Old Machi (fish) Market, RB Kadam Road area, Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar (West). It was once called horse shoe valley, because of the horse shoe shaped hills surrounding the area.
- 39 Rokadia Hanuman Mandir, Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar (West) (Ghatkopar railway station 100m).
- 40 Sarvodaya temple, Lal Bahadur Shastri Rd, Gandhi Nagar, Kirti Vihar, Ghatkopar West (close to the Ghatkopar railway station).
- 41 Shiv Ganesh Mandir (Shree Radha Krushna Mitra Mandal Mandir), Golibar Road, Bhim Nagar, Siddharth nagar, Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar (West).
- 42 Shree Siddhi Ganesh Mandir, Gangawad Ln., Bhatwadi, Ghatkopar (West).
- 43 Chhatrapati Nagar, Trolley Line Road, Kanjur Village, Kanjurmarg East, Bhandup East (Kanjurmarg Stn. 0.7km SW).
- 44 N.G.Royal Park, Kanjur Village Road, Indira Nagar, Kanjurmarg East, Bhandup East (Kanjurmarg Stn. 0.5km SW). A complex with swimming pool, club house, gymnasium, landscaped gardens and ample strolling area for its residents
- 45 Parivar Garden (Parivar Ground), Parivar Ground Road, Kanjur Village, Kanjur Marg East (Kanjurmarg Stn. 0.9km SW), ☏ .
- ski city.
Places of worship
- 46 Bhandupeshwar Mahadev Mandir, Station Road, (Dina Bama Estate) Bhandup West (Bhandup Railway Station 0.2km SE).
- Bhattipada Jain Mandir, Bhattipada, Bhandup (West) (towards Gaodevi Road).
- 47 Church of North India, Gamdevi Road, Bhandup (W)? (Nahur Stn 1.5km E).
- Datta Mandir, Ashok Nagar, Bhandup(E).
- Datta Mandir, Maharashtra Nagar, Bhandup (W).
- Eben-Ezer Faith Fellowship Church, Village Rd., Bhandup (West) (near Bright High School).
- Ganesh Mandir, Bhandup(E).
- Ganesh Mandir, Sthanik Nagrik Seva mandal, Kaju Tekdi, ganesh Nagar, quarry Road, Bhandup(West).
- 48 Ganesh Mandir (Bal Gopal Ganeshotsav Mitra Mandal), Samarth Nagar, Bhandup West (Bhandup Stn. 1.0km E).
- Hanuman Mandir, Pratap Nagar, Bhandup(W) (near Shiv Ram Wadi).
- Hanuman Mandir, Bhandup (E) (near D.A.V College).
- Maruti mandir, Lake road, Bhandup (West).
- 49 Methodist Church, Gamdevi Road, Bhandup (W) (Near Gama House - Nahur Stn 1.5km E), ☏ .
- Paanch Mandir, Shivaji Nagar, Tembipada Road, Bhandup (West)..
- Sai Baba Mandir, Kaju Tekdi, Bhandup (West) (near Union Office, Mangatram Petrol Pump).
- Sai Mandir, Sai Seva Mandal, jamil Nagar, Bhandup (West).
- Sai Mandir (Sai Sachidanand Mitra Mandal), Pratap Nagar, Bhandup (W).
- 50 St. Anthony church, Anthony Church Road, Kamraj Nagar, Tembhipada, Bhandup (w) (Nahur Stn. 1.7km E - Bus: Fish Market Bus Stop 50 m).
- Sham-e-Islam Masjid, Pathan Colony, Bhandup(W).
- Shankar Mandir, Farid Nagar, Pratap Nagar Road, Bhandup(West).
- 51 Shankar Mandir, Shivaji Nagar, Tank Road, Bhandup(W) (Rudraksh Co-Operative Society, Near Ekrup Gym).
- Shankar Mandir (Shree ganesh seva Mitra Mandal), Shiv Ram Wadi, Pratap Nagar, Bhandup(W).
- 52 Shankat Mochan Shree Hanuman Mandir, Tembipada Road, Shivaji Nagar, Nardas Nagar, Bhandup West (Bhandup Stn. 1.5km SE).
- Shri Adinath Digambar Jain Mandir, L.B.S. Marg, Bhandup (West) (Opp. Badwaik Hospital, before Police Chowki).
- Shri Jain Shvetambar Murtipujak Tapagachh Sangh (Shri Chintamani Parshvanath Mandir), Ishwar Nagar, Bhandup (West).
- Shri Jagvallabh Parshvanath Jain Mandir, L.B.S. Marg, Bhandup (West) (Kukreja Complex, before Badwaik Hospital).
- Shri Tirupati Balaji Temple, Swami chawl, Nardas Nagar T.P road Bhandup west.
- There are also many mosques at Sonapur Bhandup (West)
- Two Mosques at Survodaya Nagar Bhandup (West)
- One Mosque near Ceat Tyre Village Road Bhandup (W).
- Ganpati mandir: satguru chowk, patker compound, tulshet pada Bhandup (West)
- Also Many dargahs in Bhandup (West)
- Nav Durga mata mandhir: Swami Chawl, Shiv Nagar, Lake Road, Bhandup (West)
- Ganpati mandir: - NAVYUG MITRA Mandal, TULSHET PADA, NR-B.M.C SCHOOL Bhandup (West)
- Ganapati Mandir: - Utkarsh Nagar Zara Line (Ganesh Sahayyak Mitra Mandal) Bhandup (West)
- Madhuban Garden, L.B.S. Marg, Bhandup (West) (besides Police Station).
- Paranjape Garden, Datar Colony, Bhandup (East).
Places of worship
- Adinath Jain Mandir, Cypress, Swapna Nagari, Mulund (West).
- Amijara Adinath Jain Temple, Tambe Nagar, Mulund (West).
- Dharmanathswami Jain Tempal, Ramnagar, Mulund(West).
- Neminath Jain Mandir, LBS Road, Mulund (West) (Govardhan Nagar).
- Sarvodaya Parshwanath Jain Mandir, Sarvodaya Parshwanath Nagar, Mulund (West).
- Shantinath Dada Jain Derasar, 3rd Floor, Tambe Nagar, Mulund (West).
- Shasan Samrat Nagar Jain Derasar, S N Rd, Mulund (West).
- Shree Shwetamber Vasupujya Tapagach Jain Sangh, Mulund (East).
- Shree VasupujyaSwami Jain Mandir, Zaver Road, Mulund (West).
- Vardhman Nager Jain Derasar, Vardhman Nagar, Mulund (West).
- Sri Guru Nanak Darbar (HK Gidwani School) Hindustan Chowk - (MAIN GURDWARA of MULUND)
- Sri Guru Amardas Darbar - Agra Rd. LBS Marg , Mulund West .
- Sri Guru Nanak Sachkhand Darbar , Youth Circle , Mulund Colony - (Managed by Sindhi Community)
- Sri Guru Amardas Darbar , Amar Nagar
- Ganesh Mandir, RPF quarters, Mulund East
- Ganesh Mandir, S.U Pumps, ModelTown, Mulund (West)
- Ganesh Temple, Govardhan Nagar, Mulund (West)
- Ganesh Temple, Mulund Fire Station , Mulund (West)
- Hanuman Mandir, M.G.Road, near railway station, Mulund (West)
- Hanuman Mandir, Hanuman chauk, Mulund (East)
- Hanuman Mandir, Malabar Hill, Mulund colony, Mulund (West)
- Hanuman Mandir, Nahur Road, Mulund (West)
- Santoshi Mata, LBS Road, Mulund (West)
- Ambaji Dham Temple, M.G.Road, Mulund(West)
- Narmada Devi Temple, M.G.Road, Mulund(West)
- Momai Maa Temple,Dr. R P Road ,Mulund (West)
- Evangelical Church of India, Mulund (West)
- St. George Orthodox Syrian Church, Model Town, Mulund (West)
- St. Pius X Catholic Church, St. Pius Colony, Mulund (West)
- North Bombay Marthoma Parish,Mulund(West)
- Amala Matha Church, Near J.J. Academy School, Mulund (West)
- Tungavateshwar Mandir, Sambhaji Park, Mulund (East).
- Shiv Mandir devasthan (Mhatre Nagar), Mithagar road, Mulund (East).
- Bal Rajeshwar Temple, LBS Marg, Mulund(West).
- Shiv Mandir, Panch Rasta, Mulund(West).
Other/Uncategorized worship places
- 'Dharmbindu' Aradhna Bhavan, By Lilavantiben Doshi, Mulund (east)
- Ashapura Mata temple , Mulund colony , Near last bus stop
- Bhakta Sangham Temple, Mulund (West) - Guruvayoorappan Temple
- Dattatreya Mandir, Sarvodaya Nagar, Mulund (West)
- Jhulelal Mandir, Bhaji Market , Mulund Colony (West)
- Jhulelal Temple, Mahajanwadi, RRT Road, Mulund (West)
- Khandoba Mandir,Navghar-Mithaghar Link Road, Mulund (East)
- Panchratna Temple, Powai Chowk, Mulund Colony, Mulund (West)
- ShreeSwami Samarth Kendra, Mulund (East)
- Shri Raghavendra Swami Mutt, Mulund West
- Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Near Station, Mulund(East)
- Tungavatheshwar Mandir (Shiva Temple - Near Sambhaji Garden), Mulund (East)
- North Bombay Mar Thoma Parish, Mulund
- Emmanual Prayer House (Vaishali Nagar) Mulund (West)
- Vitthal Rakhumai Mandir, Vitthal Nagar, S. L. Road, Mulund (West)
- Chintaman Dwarakanath Deshmukh Garden (One of the best maintained garden in Mumbai)
- Dhingra Park (Mithagar Road)
- Johnson & Johnson Park
- Kalidas Gardens (Sonar Bangla)
- Lala Tulsiram Garden (Devidayal Garden)
- Sambhaji Garden
- 53 Sanjay Gandhi National Park (Borivali National Park). A large park with a wide diversity of plant and animal life. The Kanheri caves within the park are also an attraction. Many mammals can be seen roaming the park. Many types of butterflies have been seen in the park as well as birds and reptiles. It is one of the most visited parks in India.
- Tara Singh Ground (Yogi Hills Garden)
- Tara Singh Talao-Garden (Neelam nagar)
- Tulsi Lake
- Hiranandani Gardens. An integrated residential township, is one among the many residential complexes located here along with a number of luxury hotels, mega stores and the offices of several commercial institutions, such as Nomura, CRISIL, Deloitte, Bayer among others.
- Powai Lake — One of the few things to see in this area is the Powai Lake. It's a man made lake that used to serve as the city's water supply. The lake now serves as a tourist destination though it isn't really that spectacular. Planet Powai, a local community newspaper will give you more details on this suburbs vibrant lifestyle and news on lake.
- Suncity Complex, Powai.
- Hakone Go Karting, Located in Hiranandani Gardens. One of the few go-karting tracks in Mumbai, also has an artificial rock climbing wall.
- Hakone Mini-Golf, located in Hiranandani Gardens. One of the few Mini Golf courses in Mumbai. Also has a bumper car rink and some other amusement park rides.
- Culture Shop, located in Hiranandani Gardens. A large selection of curios and other artifacts.
- Galleria Shopping Centre, Hiranandani Gardens.
- Huma Mall, Kanjur Marg. Here is the Hotel Sheetal Samudra known for its fine seafood, a very nice open air restaurant Sheesha with nawabi cuisine and hukkas, also is a one stop shop for finest Factory outlets, 6 Screen BIG Cinema Multiplex, the Hotel Meeting point one of the best restaurants around the area, and Muthoot Finance known for its Gold Loans, Investments, Gold Coins, Money Transfer, Insurance, Foreign Exchange, Tours & Travels etc.
- Loft, located in Hiranandani Gardens. One of the largest shoe shops in India.
- Metro Junction Mall Located in Kalyan East.
- Nirmal Lifestyles Mall, LBS Marg, Mulund. There is Shoppers Stop store, a McDonald's, and cafe including Manchester United Cafe Bar, Cafe Coffee Day, apart from six screen PVR multiplex.
- 1 Phoenix Marketcity, Kamani Kurla (Easily accessible by all modes of transport), ☏ . 11Am to 11pm. One of the biggest malls in Asia.
- R City Mall, LBS Marg, Mulund (Ghatkopar). Inside is a four screen multiplex called as the Big Cinemas.
- Sarvodaya Mall Located in Kalyan West.
- Cafe Mocha, located in Nirmal Lifestyles Mall, Mulund and in Galleria, Hiranandani Gardens. Coffee house that also serves Hookah.
- Far East, located in the Rodas Hotel, Hiranandani Gardens. A restaurant serving Chinese and Thai cuisine.
- Fine Dine, located in Nirmal Lifestyles Mall, Mulund. Continental Food.
- Parabola, located in the Rodas Hotel, Hiranandani Gardens. A 24 hour coffee shop serving all cuisines with a buffet option.
- Rajdhani, located in Nirmal Lifestyles Mall, Mulund. Branch of the famous Gujrati Thali restaurant in South Mumbai.
- Saffron Spice, Sentinel, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, ☏ , fax: . An "Indian specialty restaurant" and one of the very few mid-range restaurants in the Powai area. The restaurant has received fairly decent reviews and the food has been appreciated for its variety. But it is extremely crowded during lunch and the staff will encourage you to choose the buffet. The lunch buffet is indifferent and the service is lousy, so you will have your rotis cold. It has a well-stocked bar and offers valet parking, but there is ample parking at all times. ₹221 (for the buffet, exclusive of VAT. An a la carte meal without alcohol would probably come to ₹500 per person all inclusive.).
- Meghdoot, Station road, Ghatkopar (w), It is a cosy family restaurant and bar. Famous for Punjabi food and sizzlers.
- Pop Tate's, R Mall, Mulund and at Powai. A great place to have beer and chill out with your friends without shelling much out of your pocket. A little something for those in the central suburbs who are too bored to go all the way to the western suburbs.
- Timbuctoo, R Mall, Mulund, has an entrance through the Pop Tates. It is a great place if you wish to spend a nice time with your friends under the bare sky overlooking the city's main road. An air of difference in the central suburbs.
- 1 The Beatle Hotel, JMJ House, Hiranandani, ☏ .
- 2 Holiday Inn Mumbai International Airport, Sakinaka Junction, Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri East, Safed Pul, Sakinaka, ☏ . Modern hotel with quality rooms. Good western and Indian breakfast. Local area and view from room not attractive but view from pool on roof is impressive. Less than 15 minute drive (can call hotel to arrange pick-up, although can be fee) from International airport terminal.
- 3 Rodas Boutique Hotel, Central Avenue, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.