Asia > South Asia > Bangladesh > Mymensingh Division > Mymensingh
Mymensingh is a city in Bangladesh with renowned educational institutes, Brahmaputra River, and the beauty of green paddy fields.
Mymensingh (pronounced moy-mon-shin-haw) is situated on the river Brahmaputra and is the headquarters of the Mymensingh District. Mymensingh is the anglicized pronunciation of the original name Momenshahi, referring to a ruler called Momen Shah. The cadet college established in Tangail in 1963 was called Momenshahi Cadet College. The city is known for educational institutions like Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh Medical College and Mymensingh Girls' Cadet College. Other landmark institutions include Mymensingh Army Cantonment. Also it is related with old Brahmaputra river, handcrafted duvet called Nakshikantha and a rural ballad called Moimonsingho Geetika. Mymensingh city is located about 120 km (75 mi) north of Dhaka which is the capital of the country.
There is no airport in Mymensingh. Dhaka airport is approximately 110 km (2.5 hours drive) from Mymensingh by bus.
There are several bus services from Dhaka to Mymensingh. Buses leave from the Mohakhali bus stand (10 km south of Dhaka Airport) in Dhaka to the Mashkanda bus stand in Mymensingh. You can get on any of the following buses from the Mohakhali bus stand in Dhaka, which will cost around Tk. 150 ($2):
There are several train services from Dhaka to Mymensingh. It takes almost 3 hours to reach Mymensingh from Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. You can get on from the Dhaka Airport or you could go to the main train station-Komlapur Rail Station.
There are many picnic spots and sites of cultural, natural and historical interest in and around Mymensingh. Most important sites around in the greater Mymensingh area are:
- Gajani (গজনী) - several picnic spots and adventure park.
- Jalchhatra (জলছত্র) - place of historical and cultural interest.
- Birisiri (বিরিশিরি) - site of immense natural beauty with blue river and hills.
- Crocodile farm - situated at Trishal.
- Susong Durgapur and Bijoypur (সুসং দুর্গাপুর ও বিজয়পুর) - Blue river and mountains.
- Orchid garden - situated at Fulbaria
- Strawberry garden - at Fulbaria
- Bangladesh Agricultural University (বাংলাদেশ কৃষি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) - in Mymensingh town.
There are three major parks in Mymensingh which are located in the Mymensingh town and in Agricultural University. All there park are on the bank of Brahmaputra river. These parks are located in: Circuit House, near Boro Bazaar, and in Agricultural University that is just at periphery of the town.
There are several places of interest in Mymensingh city where you can visit:
- Jainul Abedin Museum (জয়নুল আবেদীন সংগ্রহশালা) - collection and exhibition of paintings of Jainul Abedin, the all time greatest Bengal painter.
- Mymensingh Museum (ময়মনসিংহ জাদুঘর) - collection of historical items.
- Mymensingh park - by the river Brahmaputra
- Botanical Garden - Bangladesh Agricultural University
- Ananda Mohan University College
- Teacher's Training College - An ancient and famous buildings used by British Lords
There are many good restaurants in this city, including:
- Sorogoram in Charpara
- Foodland in Charpara
- Sharon in Mashkanda
- Sharinda in Ganginarpar and the park
In all of them, you can eat Biriyani, Polau (fried rice), Bhaat (rice), Shobjee (vegetables) and Khichuri, as well as Continental food.
- Hotel Hera, 36/B S. K. Moharaja Rd, ☎ , e-mail: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxurious and moderately priced (Tk. 400 to Tk. 1800) hotel located only 400 meters away from the railway station and 300 meters from the Brahmaputra river. Free homemade breakfast, lunch and dinner at reasonable price. Free shoe polish. Conference room facility for up to 200 persons. During weekends special offer for family, rent lowered from Tk. 1800 to 1400 and from 1400 to 1200. Hotel provides help regarding vehicles for traveling to the places of historical, cultural and natural interest in and around Mymensingh.
- 24 hours internet facility at the lobbey of the Hotel Hera. Internet is absolutely free for the people staying at the hotel.
- Several cyber cafes can be found in the Ganginar Par area. Cafes charge around Tk. 30 (~$0.37) per hour.