- For other places with the same name, see New Albany (disambiguation).
New Albany is a city in Southern Indiana. It is the county seat of Floyd County with a population of 37,000. Although just across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY, it has a laid back, small-town feeling.
New Albany can be reached easily by car. I-64 provides access to the downtown area at Spring St., linking the city with Louisville and St. Louis. I-265 borders New Albany on the north with exits at State St., Grant Line Rd. and Charlestown Rd. before linking with I-65 near Clarksville. Air service is found at nearby Louisville International Airport.
The main streets in the downtown area, east to west, are Main, Market, Spring, Elm and Oak. The north to south streets downtown include State, Pearl, Bank and the numbered streets Third and up. State St. connects downtown with Floyd Memorial Hospital and Paoli Pk, which leads to Floyds Knobs and US 150. Grant Line Rd (IN 111) leads to Indiana University Southeast, off of I-265. Charlestown Rd connects the city with the northeast side of Floyd County (and I-65 at Sellersburg). Spring St. eastbound becomes a freeway after leaving New Albany and connects to Clarksville and I-65 South in Jeffersonville. Corydon Pk., to the west of downtown, becomes a hilly route leading to IN 62 south of I-64 at Exit 118. Along the Ohio River, IN 111 continues south to the Horseshoe Southern Indiana casino near Elizabeth. US 150 branches off of I-64 at Exit 119, leading to northwest Floyd County. IN 64 connects I-64 at Exit 118 with Georgetown and beyond.
Arts & Theater
- Great Escape Theatre, 300 Professional Ct (Charlestown Rd. next to Meijer), ☏ . 16 screen complex showing the latest movie releases.
- New Albany Riverfront Amphitheater (At the end of Pearl St., downtown) Center of the action on the New Albany Riverfont, this outdoor showplace accommodates up to 10,000 persons for activities ranging from Bluegrass music shows and fireworks displays to rock concerts and visiting symphony orchestra performances
- Paul Ogle Cultural and Community Center, 4201 Grant Line Rd, ☏ . Located at Indiana University Southeast, this cultural and community center offers theater productions, children's matinees, concerts, dance and music recitals, and other cultural activities.
- 1 Carnegie Center for Art & History, 201 E. Spring St (at Bank St.), ☏ . This building housed the New Albany Public Library from its completion in 1904 until 1969. It was erected with financial support from Andrew Carnegie and designed in the popular Beaux-Arts style. In 1971 the building reopened as an art and history museum and in 1998 it underwent major renovations. The Center hosts a succession of traveling exhibits, often in conjunction with special programs on local history and culture.
- Culbertson Mansion State Memorial, 914 E. Main St, ☏ . The highlight of Mansion Row, this opulent French Second Empire mansion was erected between 1867 and 1869 by William S. Culbertson, one of Indiana’s richest merchants and philanthropists. Designed by local architect James T. Banes, the three-story brick structure cost about $120,000 and contains approximately 16,00 square feet of living space. The 20-room interior includes fabric-quality wallpapers, marble fireplaces, frescoed ceilings, and a spectacular cantilevered staircase. The woodwork was crafted by local boat builders, and the tin roof was shipped from Scotland.
- Scribner House, ☏ . State & Main Sts. Built in 1814 by Joel and Mary Scribner, this simple wood-frame, Federal-style structure is the oldest building in New Albany. The two-and-one-half story house has a basement, two parlors, and a hall on the first floor, three bedrooms and a hall on the second floor. A two-level rear porch provides a spectacular view of the Ohio River.
- Town Clock Church, Third and Main Sts. Restored 1852 Greek Revival church, originally housed the Second Presbyterian Church and a 160-foot clock tower which signaled New Albany’s location to the Ohio River boatmen. The original tower has since been shortened, but it remains distinctive. Owned since 1889 by the Second Baptist Church, an African-American congregation, the structure is said to have been a way station on the antebellum Underground Railroad.
- Cherry Valley Golf Course, 600 Cherry St, ☏ .
- Valley View Golf Club, 3748 Lawrence Banet Rd, ☏ . Floyds Knobs.
Festivals and Events
- Thunder Over Louisville. Clarksville and Jeffersonville. late April The opening ceremonies to Louisville, Kentucky's Kentucky Derby Festival. Thunder Over Louisville is the largest annual fireworks show in the country, and the best viewing is along the Indiana shore of the Ohio River. If you plan to get a good seat, prepare to come the day before and camp. In the afternoon, private and military aircraft provide a magnificent airshow. After sunset, the fireworks begin and last nearly half an hour.
- Lanesville Heritage Weekend Lanesville. Mid-September A fall festival typical of many in southern Indiana. Is similar to a county fair, but later in the year. Local food and crafts are available, while rides and tractor and truck pulls provide entertainment.
- Harvest Homecoming Festival. New Albany. Early-mid October The largest festival in southern Indiana brings participants from miles around. The festivities begin with a Saturday morning parade through the streets of New Albany. THe festival lasts for several weeks, and includes vendor booths downtown and carnival rides.
- New Albany Historic Homes Tour. New Albany. early September Visit 10 to 12 historic properties in the city's 4 historic districts. Discover the rich architectural heritage of this historic city on the banks of the Ohio River. From cozy cottages to elelgant mansions these beautifully preserved represent a wide variety of architectural styles including Federal, Greek Revival, Italinate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and others.
- Colokial, 138 E Spring St, New Albany, ☏ . 11:00 - 6:00. Handmade Items from around the world. Handbags, Home decor, Jewelry, Religious items
- A Nice Restaurant, 3129 Blackiston Mill Rd (at Charlestown Rd.), ☏ .
- Alamo Steakhouse, 7600 IN 64, Georgetown, ☏ .
- B C's Original Ranch House, 2612 Charlestown Rd (Colonial Manor SC), ☏ .
- Beef O' Brady's, 100 Lafollette Station, Floyds Knobs (US 150 & Old Vincennes Rd), ☏ .
- Chicken House, 7180 IN 111, Sellersburg (at St Joe Rd West), ☏ .
- Federal Hill Cafe, 310 Pearl, ☏ .
- Frisch's Big Boy Restaurant, 804 Hausfeldt Ln (Grant Line Rd & I-265), ☏ .
- Jack Binion's Steak House, 11999 Casino Center Dr, Elizabeth, ☏ . Inside Horseshoe Southern Indiana.
- JB's Cafe, 11999 Casino Center Dr, Elizabeth. Inside Horseshoe Southern Indiana.
- Joe Huber Family Restaurant, 2421 Scottsville Rd, Borden, ☏ .
- Joe's OK Bayou, 4308 Charlestown Rd (in front of Meijer), ☏ .
- Juke Box, 768 Highlander Point Dr, Floyds Knobs, ☏ .
- Legends, 11999 Casino Center Dr, Elizabeth, toll-free: . Inside Horseshoe Southern Indiana.
- Main Menu, 3306 Plaza Dr, ☏ .
- Mark's Feed Store, 3827 Charlestown Rd, ☏ . Good barbeque. Try the buttermilk pie.
- Rib Tip Tony's, 9585 IN 64, Georgetown, ☏ .
- Sam's Food & Spirits Two Locations: 3800 Payne Koehler Rd (at Charlestown Rd) +1 812 945-9757 & 724 Highlander Point Dr., Floyds Knobs +1 812 923-7979.
- South Side Inn, 114 E. Main St (at Pearl St.), ☏ .
- Tommy Lancaster Restaurant, 1629 E Market St, ☏ .
- Tuckers American Favorites, 2405 State St, ☏ .
- Bistro New Albany, 148 E. Market St, ☏ .
- [dead link] Rockwall Bistro, 3426 Paoli Pk., Floyds Knobs, ☏ .
Ice Cream Parlors
- Berry Twist, 3670 Scottsville Rd, Floyds Knobs, ☏ .
- Graeter's Ice Cream, 4310 Charlestown Rd (near Great Escape Theatre), ☏ .
- Mom & Pop's Cone Corner, 1817 Graybrook Lane, ☏ .
- Polly's Freeze, 5242 IN 62, Georgetown (west of I-64), ☏ .
- Zesto, 2740 Charlestown Rd (at Slate Run Rd), ☏ .
- Spaghetti Shop, 4510 Charlestown Rd (Matthew's Center), ☏ .
- El Nopal Three Locations: 2744 Charlestown Rd +1 812 941-9770 & 730 Highlandere Point Dr., Floyds Knobs +1 812 923-2929. 730 Rolling Creek Dr. At Grant line Rd. +1 812 590-3434
- Puerto Vallarta, 4214 Charlestown Rd (in front of Meijer), ☏ .
- Tumbleweed Southwest Grill. Three locations: 3005 Charlestown Crossing (at Charlestown Rd) +1 812 945-9333, 2005 State St. (at West St) +1 812 945-0177 & 702 Highlander Point Dr., Floyds Knobs +1 812 923-6011.
- Asian Buffet, 3813 Charlestown Rd, ☏ .
- Golden China Buffet, 3300 Grant Line Rd, ☏ .
- Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant, 345 New Albany Plaza, ☏ .
- Onions Restaurant & Tea House, 4211 Charlestown Rd (north of I-265), ☏ .
- Oriental Star, 2602 Charlestown Rd, ☏ .
- Pearl Asian Restaurant, 11999 Casino Center Dr, Elizabeth, ☏ . Inside Horseshoe Southern Indiana.
- Tran Charlestown Rd. (across from Meijer)
- Arni's Pizza. 1208 State St +1 812 945-1149 & 3700 Paoli Pk. (at Scottsville Rd), Floyds Knobs +1 812 923-9805.
- Bearno's Little Sicily. Two locations: 3002 Charlestown Crossing (at Charlestown Rd.) +1 812 949-7914 & 406 La Follette Station, Floyds Knobs +1 812 923-4600.
- Fun House, 373 Professional Ct (next to Great Escape Theater), ☏ .
- Pizza King, 3825 Charlestown Rd, ☏ .
- Rich O's Public House & Sportstime Pizza, 3312 Plaza Dr (off Grant Line Rd), ☏ , .
- Wick's Pizza Parlor.
- Dock Sea Foods, 1125 State St, ☏ .
- Cape Codder, 2604 Charlestown Rd (Colonial Manor SC), ☏ .
- Rustic Frog, 1720 Old River Rd, ☏ .
- Hugh E Bir's Cafe, 324 E. Market St, ☏ .
- Mac's Hideway, 1636 Slate Run Road, ☏ . Great food with an awesome bar atmosphere. The nicest bartenders in New Albany. Great drink specials every day.
- Pastime Grill & Pub, 424 E. Market St, ☏ .
- Shooters Saloon, 330 Vincennes St, ☏ .
- Aroma Café & Bar, 11999 Casino Center Drive, Elizabeth. Inside Horseshoe Southern Indiana
- Bean Street Cafe 3003 Charlestown Crossing +1 812 944-6262 & 101 Lafollette Station (US 150 & Old Vincennes Rd., Floyds Knobs) +1 812 923-1404.
- Coffee Crossing, 4212 Charlestown Rd (near Great Escape Theatre), ☏ .
- [dead link] Hobknob Coffee Company, 3700 Paoli Pk. (at Scottsville Rd.), Floyds Knobs, ☏ .
- Starbucks, 200 New Albany Plaza (inside Kroger), ☏ .
Bed & Breakfasts
- [dead link] Admiral Bicknell Inn, 600 E. Main St, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Box Tree Inn, 612 E. Main St, ☏ .
- Harvest Moon Cabin, 1418 Indiana Ave, ☏ .
- Mansion Row Inn, 1014 E. Main St, ☏ . Wedding Chapel on site.
- Mansion at River Walk, 704 E. Main St, ☏ .
- Stone Rest Bed & Breakfast, 8758 Rufing Rd, ☏ . Greenville.
- Horseshoe Southern Indiana, 11999 Casino Center Dr, Elizabeth, 47117, toll-free: . 503 rooms, numerous anemities.
- 1 Hampton Inn, 506 W Spring Street (I-64 at Exit 123), ☏ , toll-free: . 76 rooms, indoor pool, exercise room, meeting room.
- Holiday Inn Express, 411 W Spring St (I-64 at Exit 123), ☏ , toll-free: . 135 rooms, indoor pool, meeting rooms.
- Motel 6, 1079 Luther Rd (I-64 at Exit 118 IN 62-64), ☏ . Georgetown.
- Indiana 9 Television (Cable 98) [dead link]
Most telephone numbers in New Albany, as well as the rest of southern Indiana, consist of +1 812 plus a seven-digit number, but the region is now served by an overlay complex of two area codes, with 930 being the second. A local or in-state telephone call now requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 812 before these if no area code is indicated.
|Routes through New Albany|
|St. Louis ← Georgetown ←||W E||→ Louisville → Frankfort|
|END ←||W E||→ Clarksville → Jeffersonville|
|Vincennes ← Floyds Knobs ←||W E||→ Louisville → Danville|