Europe > Nordic countries > Denmark > Zealand > North Zealand > Øresund Coast
The Øresund Coast is limited by Helsingør Freeway (E55/E47) to the west and stretches from Tårbæk in the south to Humlebæk in the north. The fashionable Strandvejen runs along the coast through a number of towns and neighborhoods including from south to north Tårbæk, Skodsborg, Trørød, Vedbæk, Rungsted, Hørsholm, Usserød, Kokkedal, Nivå and Humlebæk.
The coastline is well connected by the motorway E47/E55 from the Danish border town Elsinore in the north and Copenhagen in the south. Rail connects the area as well to Copenhagen and the Swedish border city Helsingborg (on the other side of the coast). Trains leave every 20 minutes. It takes 30 minutes from Copenhagen.
Rungsted marina is is well equipped. DKK 150 for a medium sized boat per day.
The Øresudstog train operates between Copenhagen Airport, the Copenhagen city center, and Elsinore at least every twenty minutes during the day. Be forewarned that many trains do not stop at all stations en route; in particular, Vedbæk, Skodsborg, and Klampenborg are generally only served by trains that terminate at Nivå. After the evening rush hour, trains call at all stops until midnight. There is generally no service between midnight and 5am, except for an hourly train on weekends. During the day, trains can be prone to delays as they originate in Sweden, where track work is ongoing until 2011. Tickets can be purchased from vending machines at all stations or 7-Eleven kiosks inside station buildings.
Kokkedal serves as a coastal bus hub, though most routes are linked to Copenhagen, Lyngby, or Elsinore. The 150S bus is a particularly convenient route to Hørsholm, which lies just west of the train line.
North of Hørsholm
- 1 Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Gammel Strandvej 13, Humlebæk (A train from Copenhagen to Humlebæk takes about 30min. The museum is within 15min walking distance from the train station in Humlebæk), ☏ . Tue-Fri 11:00–22:00, Sat-Sun 11:00-18:00, Mon closed. It has an old park, is located right on the coast and has a view of Sweden across the sound. You can have a picnic in the park. Louisiana has a permanent collection, changing exhibitions of art and films, concerts, a children’s wing, a sculpture park, a cafe, a museum shop that sells books, reproductions, posters, postcards, etc. The collection include works of Arp, Francis Bacon, Calder, Dubuffet, Max Ernst, Sam Francis, Giacometti, Kiefer, Henry Moore, Picasso, Rauschenberg and Warhol. Take a walk just outside museum. At the main road leading to Copenhagen (south) and Helsingør (north) is an old church with a large cemetery, set along a ravine with extraordinary vegetation. Adults 125 kr, students 110 kr, under 18 years free. A combined ticket including entrance and a return train ticket is available for 210 kr.
- 2 Nivaagaards Malerisamling, Gammel Strandvej 2 (Nivå), ☏ . Museum with paintings of Rembrandt, Eckersberg, Købke.
- 3 Krogerupskovene (Humlebæk). Forest preserve interspersed with farms, an organic food shop, and Krogerup Folk High School. Plenty of paths for walking/jogging. Extremely secluded feeling compared to the rest of the coast.
- 4 Old Hørsholm. This cluster of pretty yellow buildings by the local church is what remains of the old Hørsholm city. The old town bordering the part and church is home to a cluster of museums, as well as the old vicarage, the chevallier homes and the Freedom statue by French artist N.H. Jardin
- 5 Hørsholm Church (Hørsholm Kirke). The church is on the grounds at what used be one the country's finest palaces, but it had fallen into disuse and was torn down in 1810, the old park surrounding the unusual and picturesque church still has many visible remains of the old palace gardens, and the palace's old Baptismal font is still inside the church.
- 6 Hørsholm Egns Museum (Hørsholm Museum of local history,), Sdr. Jagtvej 2 (Hørsholm), ☏ .
- Fuglsanghus (Hørsholm Munipal Exhibition Hall), Gl. Hovedgade 2 (Hørsholm), ☏ .
- 7 Karen Blixen Museum, Rungsted Strandvej 111 (Rungsted), ☏ . May-Sep.: tu-su: 10.00am to 5pm, Oct.-April: We-Fr: 1pm to 4pm, sa-su 11am to 4pm. Museum dedicated to Karen Blixen (pen name Isak Dinesen) located in the house where she lived most of her life, and where se died (her grave is under a tree in the garden). DKK 45.
- 8 Hørsholm Mølle, Ved Møllen 8 (Hørsholm), ☏ .
- North Sealand Veteran Train, Rungsted remise. We nights after 7pm and Sa afternoon from about 1pm, call first. Visit the train enthusiasts.
South of Hørsholm
- 1 Kokkedal Golfklub.
- 2 Rungsted Golfklub, Vestre Stationsvej 16, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. DKK 575.
- 1 Krogerup Avlsgård, Krogerupvej 13 (Humlebæk). An outpost of organic food supplier Aarstiderne, organic vegetables are sold out of the barn, usually self-service, during the day. On weekends a store opens with prepared food and craft items. The store holds festivals on occasion (especially harvesttime and Christmas) with hot food and drink and fun for all ages. A prime destination for schoolchildren on class trips.
The area has numerous restaurants, especially pricey ones. Most are situated around the harbour areas along the coast. Most exciting is Rungsted Havn with quite a few restaurants and a very lively harbour life, especially on warmer days. There are also a few places around Vedbæk Havn. Cheaper places are found further away from the coast, try Hørsholm for a selection.
- 1 Appetitten, Usserød Kongevej 37, Hørsholm, ☏ . Serves bagels, salats, sandwiches and ice cream. Large sandwich 45 Kr.
- Center Grill, Humlebæk Center, Humlebæk. Pizza, burger, sandwiches -- comparable to stands in Copenhagen proper, but with slightly lower prices.
- 2 Pizzeria Burger House, Hovedgaden 37B, Hørsholm, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 11:00-22:00, Su noon-12:00. Serves pizzas, pastas, sandwiches, chicken. Pizzas 48-70 Kr.
- 3 Restaurant Shanghai, Christianshusvej 4E, Hørsholm, ☏ . Evening buffet 98 Kr (F-Su 118 Kr), mains 65-99 Kr.
- 4 Café Crostini, Rungsted Havn 16, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited menu, mostly pastas and burgers. But a nice place both in and out. Mains 110-188 Kr, three course menu 265 Kr.
- 5 Den Hvide Elefant, Rungsted Havn 38, ☏ . 16:00-22:00. Thai cuisine, with at least some dishes tasting like in Thailand, especially if you ask them to make it spicy. Cozy atmosphere, even though it is a bit tucked away from the lively harbour front. The dishes are small, so you might have to order three mains for a couple. Mains 99-169 Kr.
- 6 Lastrummet, Rungsted Havn 28, ☏ . Limited menu. Mains 110-198 Kr.
- 7 No. 22 Bistro, Rungsted Havn 22, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Danish cuisine. The most up-market harbour front restaurant at Rungsted Havn. Lunch courses from 68 Kr, three course evening menu 338 Kr.
- 8 Nokken, Rungsted Havn 44, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Fr noon-23:00, Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 11:00-16:00, kitchen closed 15:30-18:00 and after 22:00. Stylish restaurant in nice surroundings. Danish cuisine. The menu is nothing special, the wine card is extensive. The food is ok, but overall the place struggles to live up to its pretensions as a gourmet restaurant. Mains 175-185 Kr, tasting menu 495 Kr.
- 9 Bolettes Gæstebud, Gl. Strandvej 7, Humlebæk, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Kitchen Tu-Sa noon-15:00, 18:00-21:00, Su noon-15:00. Three course menu 298 Kr.
- 10 Nautilus Vedbæk Havn, Vedbæk Strandvej 356 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 700m southeast; or take bus 193 from Vedbæk Station to Vedbæk Havn Stop, then walk 100m southeast), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. From noon, kitchen closed 16:00-17:30. View of the harbour and Øresund. The prices are not too bad for this location, but the menu will suit guests who like to eat in cafes best. Mains 99-249 Kr.
- 11 Restaurant Mikkelgaard, Rungsted Strandvej 302, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa noon-15:00, 16:00-22:00; Su noon-15:00. Restaurant in a small, old manor with a view of Øresund. Serves interesting menus without being very sophisticated. Three course menu 395 Kr.
- 12 Trekosten, Nivå Strandpark 29, Nivå (on the marina, at the end of the pier), ☏ . Nov-Apr, ca Th-Sa and Su lunch the rest of the year, lunch noon-3:30PM, dinner 5:30PM-9PM. With a great view over the sea of Øresund. Lunch around 70 Kr (the big lunch platter is 118 Kr), dinner main courses around 170 Kr.
- 13 La Vela, Vedbæk Strandvej 362 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 600 m southeast; or take bus 193 from Vedbæk Station to Vedbæk Havn Stop, then walk 100m south), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Sa 18:00-midnight, kitchen closes at 22:00. Restaurant in old farm house with sea view. Italian cuisine. Interior, style, service and choice of food ingredients worthy of a gourmet restaurant, but the design of the dishes and quality of cooking falls behind what can be expected from a restaurant at this price level. Three course menu 375 Kr, mains 245-298 DKK.
- 14 Tårbæk Kro, Tårbæk Strandvej 102 (S-train to Klampenborg Station, then walk 500m northeast; or you can take bus 388 from Klampenborg Station to Strandvejen/Dyrehavevej Stop, then walk 100m east), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 23:00-21:45. Restaurant at Tårbæk harbour with seating both in and out. Spacious, bright and elegant interior, but the exterior is a bit worn. French cuisine with focus on seafood and soup. The place also has a separate inn offering Danish cuisine. Lunch platter 185 Kr, mains 185-235 Kr.
The nightlife along the Øresund coast is rather limited. There are some neighborhood bars near the shopping areas in Humlebæk, Kokkedal, Nivå and Hørsholm. These are of limited interest for travelers unless you are really thirsty.
- 1 Submarina Nightclub, Vedbæk.
- 2 Café Rosenhusen, Vedbæk Strandvej 378, ☏ . 10:00-21:00. Great location for a coffee or beer on a sunny day. But the service and even more so the food are terrible.
The area has very limited accommodations with only two hotels to choose between. More can be found in nearby Helsingør or Hillerød. Or Copenhagen a bit further away can be used as a base for exploring the Øresund Coast
- 1 Humlebæk Bed & Breakfast, Humlebæk Strandvej 143, ☏ . By the beach with private access and parking. 30 sqm apartment with living area, dining area and sleeping area. It has TV, fridge, stove and kitchen appliances. King size bed, children's double bunk bed and baby weekend. 550 Kr.
- 2 Skodsborg Kurhotel and Spa, Skodsborg Strandvej 139 (S-train to Klampenborg Station, then bus 388 to Strandmølle Kro Stop, then walk 100m north), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel is in historical buildings, which have been the royal summer residence for some years during mid 19th century. Access to fitness centre and swimming pools included in the room price. Spa treatments available against surcharge. Rooms with TV, radio, Internet, trouser press, hairdryer and desk. Restaurant and café. Rooms and food quality are great, surroundings are beautiful and quiet, but the spa is seen better elsewhere. Doubles from 1,685 Kr including breakfast.
- 3 Vedbæk Quality Hotel Marina, Vedbæk Strandvej 391 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 600m southeast), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Very quiet location across the street from the beach. There are lots of sports and recreational opportunities in the area. Rooms with free internet, trouser press and iron. Some also with safe and fridge. Conference rooms, table tennis, table football, billiards, jacuzzi, sauna and fitness available. Rooms are bright but the decor is uninspired. Doubles around 1,500 Kr, often discounted in the weekend.
- Copenhagen is just south of the Øresund Coast.
|Routes through Øresund Coast|
|END ← Helsingør ←||N S||→ Nivå → Copenhagen|
|Changes into ← Helsingør ←||N S||→ Nivå → Copenhagen|