Europe > Central Europe > Poland > Kujawsko-Pomorskie > Chełmno
The first written mention of Chełmno is known from a document allegedly issued in 1065 by Duke Boleslaus II of Poland for the Benedictine monastery in Mogilno. In 1233 Chełmno was granted city rights known as "Chełmno rights" (renewed in 1251), the model system for over 200 Polish towns.
The town is an interesting tourist attraction but not popular yet.
Do not confuse this town with the village of Chełmno nad Nerem in Koło County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, where the Nazis built (and eventually destroyed) the Chełmno extermination camp, nor with the village of Chełmno in Szamotuły County, Greater Poland Voivodeship.
Chełmno is about 45 km from Toruń.
The best option is to go by bus from Toruń Bus Station - they depart almost every hour. The trip lasts about 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on the connection. The 1 Chełmno bus station is located at Dworcowa Street.
You can also go by car, as it is near trunk road (droga krajowa) no 91, connecting Toruń and Gdańsk. Going from Toruń you can turn left in Grubno, or 1 km further. There is small car park near the city walls, just at the end of Dworcowa Street. The drive to Chełmno from Toruń should take about 45 minutes.
- The Old Town of Chełmno is full of monuments:
- 1 Museum of the Chełmno Land, Ratusz - Rynek 28 (Gothic-Renaissance City Hall). Tu - F 10:00 - 16:00, Sa 10:00 - 15:00, Sun (from 1st March till 30th Nov): 11:00 - 15:00, M closed. 3 zł.
- 2 Church of Virgin Mary (Kościół Najświętszej Marii Panny) (Southwestern corner of the Market Square). Entrance is free except tower..
- City walls with watch towers and Grudziądzka Gate
- 1 Karczma Chełmińska, ul. 22 Stycznia 1B, ☏ . 240 zł for a midweek double, cheaper at weekends.
- 2 Pensjonat Stary Spichrz, ul. Podmurna 7, ☏ . 179 zł for a double.
About 8 km along the trunk road no 91 there is a city of Świecie with Gothish Teutonic Knights castle. 4 km to North-West is Kałdus village and St. Laurence Hill - early-medieval gord and wonderful view on the Vistula river valley.