Navi Mumbai (Marathi: नवी मुंबई Navī Mumbaī), formerly New Bombay, is a planned city near Mumbai, India. It was founded in 1971, as a satellite township to take the pressure off the core city. Although it has been only partially successful in this sense, this has been changing with many IT and ITES industries setting up shop here.
This article also covers Panvel, a suburb of Navi Mumbai.
Navi Mumbai has a robust infrastructure, is well connected to other parts of the state and country and is relatively less polluted compared to nearby Mumbai.
The city does not have an airport yet, though a new international airport will be built in Navi Mumbai. It is expected to be operational in 2023 at the latest.
The closest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport in Mumbai. Once you get off, you can take a train, bus or cab to get here.
Suburban trains really are the best transport option for Navi Mumbai, considering the city's high traffic and pollution. The railway stations are quite neater than those in Mumbai. They are one of the very few stations in India which boast of beautiful infrastructure. There are three suburban railway lines running through the city, the Harbour Line, the Trans-Harbour Line and the Nerul–Uran Line .
The Harbour Line connects Mumbai to Navi Mumbai. The most important stations on the Harbour Line include:
The Trans-Harbour Line connects Thane to Navi Mumbai. The Central Railways run 12-car coaches between Thane–Panvel, Thane–Nerul routes. There are also fast trains running on these routes.
There are 5 suburban trains daily between CBD Belapur and Andheri (2 in the morning and 3 in the evening).
Navi Mumbai is well connected with Mumbai. There are two entry points from Mumbai, via Chembur/Mankhurd and via the Airoli exit on the Eastern Express Highway. It will cost you ₹30 in toll. From Thane, you can enter the city via the Thane-Belapur road, and in fact the Airoli exit joins the Thane-Belapur road. This road has numerous entry points into the city, so you need to confirm which one to take.
The Thane-Belapur road also links up to the Mumbai–Pune Expressway.
Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT) bus services run buses inside Navi Mumbai. NMMT has extended A/C bus service to Bandra & Borivali and is a very convenient way to travel to Mumbai as it has pressed latest Volvo buses in service. BEST has also started its A/C king Long buses from Navi Mumbai to Mumbai but the fares are higher and buses are not as comfortable as NMMT Volvo buses.
Mumbai's taxis are allowed into Navi Mumbai. Hired cars are also a good way of getting into the city. If you are travelling from Mumbai to Navi Mumbai most taxis will expect the passengers to pay the toll on the bridges connecting the cities, in addition to the metered fare.
Here is an advice - Most taxi/rickshaw meters are doctored, at least in Navi Mumbai. So, better go by branded cab services - Mega Cab (022-42424242), Meru Cab (022-44224422), Gold Cab etc. You would get them at 30-60 minutes notice, they are sparkling clean, air-conditioned, punctual, honest, GPS-equipped-monitored and thus far secure at anytime. You get an SMS saying driver name, mobile number and car number 30 min before scheduled departure. 03-box cars only - Indigo Marina and Maruti Esteem only. Call center 24 hours, and not much difference in the day or night charges. Charge ₹15 per km point-to-point, with just ₹2 extra for first km in the night time. In fact, domestic airport has a dedicated areas in the common taxi stand for Mega and Meru cabs. e.g. You would shell out ₹450-600 from airport to Navi Mumbai depending upon where you go, whereas other cabs may fleece you to the tune of 1000-1600 easily while giving poor service.
Mumbai's auto-rickshaws are not allowed into Navi Mumbai. However, you can catch one right up to the toll gate at Airoli, walk across and catch one on the Navi Mumbai side. Similarly you can catch one to Mankhurd and then change over to a taxi to get to Vashi.
But sometime if you are lucky, you can get auto rickshaw between Makhurd and Vashi.
Auto-rickshaw is a popular mode of travel within the city. You will see 'rickshaw stands' at several busy corners of residential and commercial areas. The minimum fare is ₹23 and most rickshaw drivers abide by the meter reading. But in case of doubt, please request a meter card to confirm if you are being charged the correct amount.
If you wish to travel to any of the nodes of the city (say from Vashi to Nerul), most rickshaw drivers will ask for half or full return fare upfront. It is not mandatory to pay them the return fare and is entirely the discretion of the passenger whether or not he/she wishes to pay the fare. The rule of the land: if you do not wish to pay the return fare (or what the driver asks), you should not board the vehicle. Boarding the vehicle indicates your consent to pay the stipulated fare. Lastly, always let the driver specify the markup on the fare. Do not ask him if he wants a markup to go to any of the nodes!
Travel within any of the nodes is always by meter and without a markup. So please do not accept any other price quoted by the driver.
The Navi Mumbai Metro is the upcoming metro system that will serve Navi Mumbai.
By car, you can go through the Vashi–Mankhurd Bridge built over the sea, just by paying the over-valued toll tax. To welcome you in Navi Mumbai, there is a beautiful toll plaza at the end of the bridge to welcome you which acts as the entrance gate of Navi Mumbai.
Navi Mumbai's main arterial road - called the 'Palm Beach Road' will help link you to the various nodes of Navi Mumbai viz Vashi, Nerul, CBD Belapur, Kharghar and Panvel. It also links Navi Mumbai to Mhape and Thane. Palm Beach Road is a beautiful 4-lane highway with smooth tar roads and several exits to the nodes of the city.
- Durga mata temple (santoshi & durga mata rajstani temple), Nawade Village, sec-45 Kharghar, NH4 (Thane-Panvel road (NH-4), from Kharghar station take Auto Riksha (4 km distance)), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 6AM to 11PM. It has been rebuilt using Bansipahadpur marble. Architectural work design by Sompura. Carving work was done by famous Rajasthani temple workers. On the foundations, pure black stone is used, and for garbhagrah and kalas, pure sandstone. The temple's entrance is made by one of the famous garud design praveshdwar. The total height is 55 feet. Free entrance.
- Gadeshwar Reservoir.
- Mango Garden, Belapur (opposite to the CBD Belapur bus depot). Mango Garden, a must-visit place for couples and children. It is a small garden for almost all age group people.
- Mini seashore, Juhu Chowpatty, Sector10A, Juhu Nagar. Boating, toy train and lot of fun, bhel puri, pani puri, gola etc. No entry free for gardens.
- 1 Parsik Hill, Belapur (On the way to Kharghar, take a left on uphill as you leave the boundaries of CBD). A very cool place on hilltop. People prefer to come here for morning and evening walk. Youngsters come here to have fun and just chill out. It is closed most of the times in the rainy season because of the landslide. A must to visit this place in evening hours if you are around. It is best to visit this place when the monsoon just starts. During this time there is an enchanting dew and also a slow waterfall often called the Pandavakhada waterfall.
- Rajiv Gandhi Maidan. Lots of temples for doing Pooja and meditiation, and a good trek.
- Rain Tree Marg (Belapur). Has beautiful views of Navi Mumbai
- Sagar Vihar, Vashi, A bridge connects Sagar Vihar to mini seashore Juhu Chowpatty. Very nice location for morning & evening joggers. Hawkers spoil the scene a bit, but overall a nice location to get stress free.
- Sarovar Vihar Garden (attached to the creek at 15 minutes distance by rickshaw near Vashi Station). Like a second marine drive, provides a beautiful view of the sea, a drive from Vashi via the Palm Beach Road ends at Belapur
- Seven Wonders, Sector 18, Nerul (Vashi to Nerul take a right from uran fata). Park for all ages, it has the Seven Wonder statues. It is a huge park with joy rides. Water pool and fountains to view. Fruit shape huts to seat and take photos. Cool hang out with kids. ₹35.
- 2 Pandavkada Falls, Sector-8, Kharghar (on the way from Mumbai to Panvel). Monsoon tourist attraction for people from far and wide. Authorities are strict in not allowing people to visit this place in monsoon on account of accidental deaths in the waterfall. ₹50 per person.
- 3 Utsav Chowk, Kharghar. One of the most famous landmarks in the area and it stands out for its eye catching architecture which is a humble reflection of the Roman and Greek architecture.
- 4 Belapur Fort ruins, ~113, Uran Rd, Sector 32, Seawoods, Belapur (suburban: 2 km N). The fort was built by the Siddis of Janjira. It was later conquered by the Portuguese, and then Marathas. In the early 19th century, the fort was captured by the British. After the British gained supremacy in the region, with the expansion of the Bombay Presidency, the strategic importance of the fort declined, and it fell into disuse.
- 5 Dronagiri Fort. The ruins of the fortification are seen on the fort. There is a church Nossa Senhora da Penha in good condition, but without any idol or inscription. The church is in the inner fortification. The main gate to the fort is situated on the south of the church 50 m away. The arch of the gate is broken, yet the guards rooms are in good condition. The Ganapati carved on the key stone is placed in one of the guard room. From the main gate a path way leads south to the Village Karanja. In between a Vetal mandir in ruined state is located. The pathway starting from the back of the Vetal mandie leads to large water tank in good condition situated among the forest. The fort is accessible in all seasons. The trek to the fort is simple and safe. Being close to Uran and Karanja, the fort was strategic importance since old times. The entire hill is densely covered with forest.
- 1 Central Park, Kharghar. London's Hyde Park and New York City's Central Park are few of the best examples of huge amusing park that standout in the history. The project of Central Park is an attempt of CIDCO, not rival to these historical parks, however to make public park creating these park’s concepts, relay the park to current times, in specific-Navi Mumbai's ethos and additional reflect into future. It is under construction but is open to public. The large amphitheatre has hosted many public shows as well. A ISKCON temple is attached to this park. The west to this park is Pandav Kada waterfall and CIDCO developed golf course. Free.
- 2 DY Patil Stadium. One of the three cricket stadiums in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). Several of international cricket matches and domestic championships such as Indian Premier League (IPL) have been played in these stadiums.
- Rajiv Gandhi Joggers Park (Back Juhu Gaon Rd), Sector-10A Juhu Chowpatty. A hot-spot for joggers of all ages
- Sagar Vihar, sector 6 Vashi (near Vashi depot, 10 minutes from Vashi station). A cool place to chill out with friends; a must to visit during evening hours.
The shopping market throughout Sector-17 is a good place to buy a variety of things at reasonable rates. There are many branded clothing outlets like Puma, Woodland, and Reebok. There are also many fast-food giants who have opened there like McDonald's, and Subway.
- CenterOne (near Vashi Station). This mall houses all kinds of outlets for apparel, clothes, shoes, Indian art and handicrafts, food what have you. This mall is also known as one of the oldest mall in Navi Mumbai.
- Inorbit Mall, (opposite Vashi station) (right). Wide variety of brands under a single shed, wonderful place to hangout with family while shopping. variety of food here in food court. pub and bar at 3rd floor... must visit place. Try kareem's here in ground floor for varieties of chicken, mutton, fish and other non-veg items.
- Little World Mall, Kharghar. Littleworld, Kharghar’s largest mall has it all. It is the new destination for everything that’s hip and happening be it; Fashion, lifestyle, entertainment and events. This mall has a carpet area of more than 90 thousand sq ft. It is a first-class place to hang out with loads of eye-catching discounts and variety of branded outfits. It has amenities like valet parking for around 300 cars, centralized A/C, automatic lifts, and smoke detectors for safety, stunning elevators, and power back up. It has exclusive shops of garments, jewelry, restaurants of delicious food and drinks and even a multiplex where you can enjoy latest blockbusters.
- Raghuleela Mall, Vashi W (suburban: ). Opposite Vashi station, a regular spot for many on-the-go shoppers, awesome food court as well as fame cinemas here for watching movies. The mall has two anchor shops: Big Bazaar and Central Mall. The mall has also opened an Audi showroom. The mall is known for its glass facade and brilliant parking spaces. This mall is very good for food and cloths.
- Sector 17 Vashi and Sector 9 Juhu Nagar, Vashi. About a small drive from Vashi Station, these sectors on the way you get into Vashi are one of the most happening spots of Navi Mumbai. Sector 9 Juhu Nagar is a local market for all your home needs. While Sector 17 Vashi is a mini electronics marketplace and commercial place.
- Seawoods Grand Central.
The food caters to all kinds of palates which includes Pan Indian (South, North, Central and Western Indian), of course Pizza Hut, Smokin Joes, Dominos and McDonalds, Chinese and other oriental and lots more. Some Indian food you could try includes Dosas, Idlis, Bhel, Sev Puri, Samosas, Ragda patties, Pulavs, Rajma Chawal and more. Indian food is really what food should be. There are more varieties of Indian food than probably any other cuisine in the world. After all that hot stuff you can try out the Indian slush called the ice gola in Kalakhatta flavor, which beats Pepsi and Coke hollow. You'll get those two in manned fountains at the food counters.
- Barbeque Nation, Nerul Palm Beach.
- Bhagat Tarachand (Turbhe-Sanpada & Inorbit Mall). Pure veg restaurant.
- Flavours, Sanpada (opp. Sanpada railway station), ☏ . Intercontinental cuisine. You can sit at the counter and enjoy your drinks (including the Bartender's Special).
- Hot Cross Cafe, Nerul, Palm Beach/Kharghar (opp. Hiranandani Towers, near Utsav Chowk). A very relaxing coffee shop where they serve a variety of hukka (sheesha) at a very minimal rate. One of the best places in Navi Mumbai for hukka and mouth watering and fresh pastries.
- Hotel Ruchi, Koparkhairane. Possibly the best Keralite food you can find in the city. The restaurant itself is pretty small and unnoticeable but if you notice it, don't miss it. Try the Kerala Parotha with Chicken Masala and the idiyaappam and appams for breakfast
- Jaslok (at Nerul/Station). All sorts of snacks and sweets. Pani Puri, Vada Pav and Rasmalai, Jamun are the delicious items.
- Nanumal Bhojraj, Nerul-Sanpada Palm Beach Rd. Damn good restaurant for Sindhi and Punjabi food.
- , Vashi, Sec-17, ☏ . One of the oldest restaurants in Vashi. It serves great food in the traditional Udipi style.
- Sri Krishna, Sector-11, CBD Belapur (Near K Stars Hotel), ☏ . Good vegetarian food. Great watermelon juice! Home delivery available. Try the gadbad ice cream.
- Tunga, Vashi. Good place to eat. Excellent ghee chapaties.
- Vasundhara, Sector 30A (opposite Vashi station), ☏ . Pure veg restaurant.
- Viscious circle, Sector 6, Vashi. Mouth watering kebabs and non veg dishes, good ambience, drinks and a large projector screen.
- Gupta's, Vashi, sec, 17,. Great range of toast sandwiches And pizzas.
- Snack Attack, Palm-beach road, Nerul-Sanpada. A cool place for snacks with a very different look and a very artistic architect. Wide ranges of snacks, and small cups of Oreo juice are also offered.
- Celebrations, Plot L 1, Sector19, Vashi (Palm Beach Road, Vashi.), ☏ . 7AM-3PM, 7PM-midnight. Business deluxe hotel with multi-cuisine restaurant, tycoon bar, and modern amenities. ₹500 onwards.
- Coral Lounge, Sector 17, Vashi (Above hotel Navratna).
- Dusk (at The Park in C.B.D. Belapur), ☏ .
- Flames, CBD Belapur (Opposite to BEST Depot), ☏ . 12. 250 average.
- Health Juice Center, Sector 29, Vashi. It is on Vashi to Koper Khairne road. Nice variety of juice. Try once "Boom juice".
- Ice'n'Spice, Nerul (opposite to Sea-Woods Station). The Biggest lounge bar cum restaurant of Navi Mumbai.
- Oven Hot, Near Gaondevi Mandir (The next stop after Gaondevi Mandir to the left). Lovely chicken and veg snacks, superb pastries, delicious frankies. They make any sort of birthday cakes you desire, any shape, any cartoon character. Ask them and you have it. They somehow make 1/2 kg cakes within 15 minutes. They make different kinds of breads and sliced breads and egg/eggless cakes (200 g each packaged ones. walnut brownie, fruit and nut, mawa, tutty-fruity, choco walnut, etc.) All in all, an awesome place for a small party.
- Rain Forest, Sector 11, Belapur. Great ambience, good music. It is literally a dark forest inside with huge trees. Expensive.
- Rockville restaurant, hotel and bar, sector-15, CBD-Belapur (Near D. Y. Patil University), ☏ . It's a good restaurant/hotel/bar in CBD Belapur.
- Spices, Kopar Khairane (near Teen Tanki). Best non veg in KK.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||₹1000 to ₹3000|
- Centr point, sector 11 CBD Belapur. Pocket friendly and quiet decent.
- Days Inn, L-1, Sector 19, Palm Beach Marg, Vashi. US$35 std rate.
- Hotel Apex, 15A Laxman Commercial Complex Opposite Mafco Market, Sector 18 Vashi, ☏ , , email@example.com. Single (Non AC), ₹700; Double (Non AC), ₹1100; Double (AC), ₹1300; Double (AC, Executive), ₹1700; Special (3 bedroom, AC), ₹2000.
- Hotel Heritage Dakshin, Sai Chambers, Sec 11, CBD Belapur, ☏ . ₹1,200–₹2,000.
- Hotel Three Star, Crystal Plaza, Plot No.18/27, Sector-7, Hiranandani, Kharghar, ☏ , , , firstname.lastname@example.org. A good mid range hotel
- Hotel Vishwa Sai, 1st Floor, Hemraj Bldg. Sector 11 (Opp. C.B.D. Belapur Rly. Station (E)), ☏ . Check-out: noon. Has air-conditioning ₹1,000–₹1,200.
- K-Stars Hotels, Sector 11, CBD Belapur (Opp. CBD Belapur railway station (E)), ☏ , , email@example.com. A mid-segment business hotel at Belapur, Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra) just off Pune highway.
- The Park Hotel, plot No 1, Sector 10, CBD Belapur, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹6000-7000.
- 1 Four Points by Sheraton, Plot 39/1, 6 To 15, Sector 30A, ☏ .
- Royal Orchid Central Grazia, Plot # 67, L-3, Sector 19, Palm Beach Rd.
- 2 Visava Amusement Park, Mumbai - Goa Highway (near Karnala Bird Sanctuary), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. Resort. ₹2999.
As the population and prosperity of the city rose through the years, it began to attract more criminal activity. One of the main reasons for the spurt in crime is continuous political meddling in police investigations and the grossly under-staffed police force.
There are very few police chowkies throughout Navi Mumbai with virtually non-existent beat chowkies and traffic police. Criminal activities in Navi Mumbai include chain snatching, pickpocketing and cellphone snatching. These crimes are mainly confined to sparsely populated areas. Navi Mumbai has witnessed several vehicle thefts and burglaries involving unoccupied houses. Murder and armed robbery take place in significant numbers. Riots and community feuds take place, especially in the Ghansoli area. There have been several instances where mobs of frustrated native villagers have beaten innocent law abiding residents. Nerul is especially plagued by robbery. The number of accidents on the Palm Beach Road caused by are growing at an alarming pace due to non existent traffic police or security cameras. The absence of street lights on the highway between Belapur and Kharghar poses a continued danger to motorists.
Shops and housing colonies often hire private security guards, as the police force is often overstretched. Businesses are expected to shut shop by 10PM. The Mumbai underworld has begun to take notice of the city, targeting the increasingly thriving businesses of cable operators, builders and real estate developers for extortion. On the whole, crime in Navi Mumbai is much less than in Mumbai.
- Karnala Bird Sanctuary
- Mumbai is a short train ride away from Navi Mumbai, and many people travel to Mumbai for the day.
- The beautiful hill station of Lonavla is less than an hour's drive from Navi Mumbai.
|Routes through Navi Mumbai|
|Vadodara ← Thane ←||N S||→ Pune → Bangalore|