Poperinge is a charming town in the southwest of the province of West Flanders, close to the French Belgian border. On a surface of 11 933 ha it has 20 000 inhabitants and six communities: Proven, Krombeke, Haringe, Roesbrugge, Watou and Reningelst.
By train: From Lille Flandres station changing at Kortrijk. Direct from Brussels main stations.
By car: From the ports of Calais or Dunkerque, take the A16 East, turning off at junction 28 (A25 towards Lille). Get off at Junction 13 and follow the signs for Poperinge / Ypres (Ieper).
De Lijn buses are a good way of seeing the countryside around Poperinge. The Belbus is a service which needs to be booked at least 2 hours before travelling. See the De Lijn website (In Dutch).
- Hop Museum
- Talbot House (TOC H)
- War Graves (Too numerous to list)
- Have a drink in the Palace, a hotel bar with more than 100 Belgian Beers.
- Have a drink in one of the cafes on the Markt.
- Take the Belbus North to In de Vrede, where they sell Westvleteren (allegedly the best beer in the world!)
- Have a drink in the Hotel de Paix Bierhuis, over 120 Belgian Beers.
- Chocolates from Stephanotis.
- Nieuwen Haene
- Oud Vlaenderen
- Vette Os
- Hotel Palace
- Hotel Belfort
- Hotel Amfora
- Hotel Recour