(Redirected from Questa)
Red River is a small mountain resort town in North Central New Mexico. Tucked into a canyon in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, this former mining town now thrives on tourism as the home of a popular ski resort.
Red River lies on NM 38, a section of the Enchanted Circle scenic roadway between the villages of Questa and Eagle Nest. It is approximately equidistant from Taos in either direction, with Taos across the circle to the southwest. From Taos, take NM 522 north to Questa, then make a right on NM 38 towards Red River. Limited weekday bus service to Questa, with connections to Taos, is offered by the NCRTD.
This is pretty much a one-street town, with everything within easy walking distance.
- Red River Ski & Summer Area. The main draw to town; this ski resort has plenty of great runs, a terrain park, a ski school, and a rental shop. Full day lift tickets $68 adults, $62 teens, $52 children/seniors; half day lift tickets $53 adults, $48 teens, $38 children/seniors.
- Red River is surrounded by the Carson National Forest, which offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, and snowmobiling and good cross-country skiing in the winter. The Red River is good for trout fishing, and there are several campgrounds along NM 38 west of town. The nearest ranger station is located in the village of Questa, on NM 38 several miles west of town, where you can purchase maps and get more detailed information on the recreational offerings in the area.
- Capo's Corner, 110 Pioneer Rd, ☎ . Italian restaurant with indoor or patio seating next to the river. Pasta dishes tend to be a bit too al dente for some tastes, but the pizzas are excellent.
- Old Timers Cafe, 210 E Main St, ☎ . Chicken-fried steak, roast beef sandwiches and pizzas.
- Shotgun Willie's, 403 W Main St, ☎ . The atmosphere is really nothing more than a shack, and the food is served on paper plates with plastic utensils, but this place offers good value for decent hamburgers and good barbecue.
- Sundance Mexican Restaurant, 401 E High, ☎ . This popular restaurant is one of the only places to get decent Mexican (not New Mexican) food in the area. Reservations are recommended if you plan to go between 5PM and 7PM.
- Texas Reds Steakhouse & Saloon, 105 E Main St, ☎ . This long-time Red River establishment serves thick steaks and hefty burgers in a casual saloon atmosphere with peanut shells all over the floor. Has the kind of schlocky "ambience" you'd expect from a less-than-famous ski-resort restaurant, but the steaks are good. Dinner 7 days, but may be closed for a while in the spring after the skiing has stopped. Try the buffalo burger.
- Golden Eagle Lodge, ☎ .
- The Lodge at Red River, 400 East Main St, toll-free: .
- Red River Inn.