Raichak is a small town in West Bengal about 50 km from Kolkata and located on the banks of Hooghly River. A beautiful 18th century fort is testimony to the history. Raichak is an ideal destination for weekend tourists.
The town is surrounded by verdant trees and offers views of the river with rows of country boats sailing by. It makes a perfect escape from the city grind of nearby Kolkata. Built in the Anglo-Indian style, the British fort has been converted into a 5 star resort. Raichak is a splurge destination. Those who are looking for a mid-range / budget destination may find Diamond Harbour or Gadiara more attractive, with similar river views and jetties for roaming on the waters.
- By Road - Take the Diamond Harbour Road from Behala in south-western Kolkata, travel for abot 35 km to Sarisha, just before Diamond Harbour, turn right and get to Raichak after about 5 km.
- There are no bridges across the major rivers in the vicinity. As of 2013, there is a proposal for a bridge from Raichak to Kukrahati. It has been in the air for more than a decade and it might be so for another decade or more.
The beauty of the river.
Take a ferry at Raichak jetty or nearby Noorpur jetty and go across the river to Howrah (Gadiara) and Midnapur districts (Kukrahati/ Geonkhali).
Hilsha fish (Ilish in Bengali), very tasty fish in Raichak.
- Sonar Tori (Ganga Kutir). The facilities include: Bengali specialty restaurant, a multipurpose hall with party terrace, lounge and bar. Dishes include bhapa Ilish, tel koi, chital macher muitha, mochar ghanta, sukto, several bhajas et al; others enjoy authentic Bengal cuisine - vegetarian and non vegetarian. 5 star rates.
All the hotels listed have bars.
- The Ffort Radisson (Raichek on Ganges), ☏ , fax: . Post Bag 1, Sarisha, South 24 Parganas, Rooms ₹4,500-₹12,500. Restaurant caters both to hotel guests and outside clientele. 5 star rates.
- Ganga Kutir Residency, ☏ (Resort), (Reservations). Ganga Kutir Resort and Spa is located on the river front 5 star rates.
- Hotel Arena (Artland Group of Hotels). Located on the river front ₹600-₹1500.