North America > United States of America > South (United States of America) > Virginia > Central Virginia > Richmond > Richmond/West End
The West End is a district within, and west of, the city of Richmond, Virginia and includes both the West End (within city limits) and Far West End/Innsbrook area. It is the safest part of Richmond. Especially around the county of Henrico. The mailing address is either Richmond or Glen Allen, even thought much of it is located in the counties of Henrico and/or Goochland, and not within the boundary of the city. Many major businesses headquartered in the "City of Richmond", like CarMax and Capital One, actually have their headquarters in this area of Virginia. It has become a very busy and vibrant area, with many high end shopping areas and hotels located here. Much of the state's central population comes to this area for its malls and restaurants.
From the north, the West End is easily reached by Interstate 295, which can be accessed in Northern Henrico County at Exit 84B off of Interstate 95. The city of Richmond is bypassed when using this route. The other way to reach the west end is to take I 95 south from Northern areas and follow it until it splits with Interstate 64 West in the city of Richmond. Exit 180 (Gaskins Road) is a good place to pick up what has become the "second city" in Richmond, with its high end shopping and dining around the Short Pump area. If you want to go into downtown Short Pump, take exit 180A (Broad Street - Short Pump).
- 1 Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, 1800 Lakeside Ave, ☏ . The Garden is open daily from 9AM to 5PM The Garden is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Dec. 24 and Dec. 25.. The Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens was once property owned by the Powhatan Indians, but was purchased in 1884. It has become one of the top public gardens in the US because of its facilities, programs, and displays. There are over 50 acres of garden with theme gardens including the Healing Garden, Asian Valley, Rose Garden, Children's Garden... There are several libraries and an education center, a visitors center, cafe, garden shop, and tree house. The garden is open all year long, excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. Members are free; adults $10, children (3-12) $6, children under 3 are free.
- 2 The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, ☏ . The Cultural Arts Center holds special events and performances, classes, and exhibits. Some examples are the Latin Ballet of Virginia, comedy and musical theatre performances.
- 3 Innsbrook After Hours, 4901 Lakebrook Drive Glen Allen, ☏ . Holds annual summer concert series and events
- 4 Historic Tuckahoe (formerly Tuckahoe Plantation), 12601 River Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM–5PM daily, except when closed for private events. A well preserved colonial slave plantation, and the childhood home of Thomas Jefferson. A self-guided tour of the grounds is $5; tours of the house are $10 per person and only available Sundays 1PM–4PM (check the website in advance to confirm).
- 1 Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Rd. 1860 living history farm site and museum
- 2 Bogey's Sports, 1675 Ashland Road, ☏ . Su-Th 9AM - 9PM, F - Sa 9AM-10PM. Driving range, batting cave, miniature golf
- 3 Regal Short Pump, 11650 W. Broad Street, ☏ . 14 movie theatres.
- 4 Bowl America, 4400 Pouncey Tract Rd, ☏ .
- 5 Henrico County Tourist Information Center, 3812 Nine Mile Rd, ☏ . The tourist center in the restored Dabbs House Museum has information for travelers on Richmond's historic and cultural sites, as well as guides and information for the rest of Virginia.
- 6 Eastern Henrico Recreation Center. This 24-acre recreation center has a fitness center, gym, activity spaces, classrooms, and administrative offices. Outdoors there is a football field, track field, concession building, restrooms, and larger shelter.
- 7 Kings Dominion Amusement Park, 16000 Theme Park Way, Doswell. Although Kings Dominion is not in Richmond, it is about 20 miles away in Doswell, Virginia. It is a 400-acre amusement park. It was opened in 1975 with 15 rides. Some of the popular rides include the Hurler (1994), Rebel Yell (1975), Shockwave (1986), El Dorado (2009), Avalanche (1988), Scrambler (2003), and Anaconda (1991). The park now also includes a water park called WaterWorks which includes the Lazy Rider, Baja Bends, Spiral Chutes, Shoot the Curl, Tornado, Pipeline Peak... The park also includes a Theater, the Mason Dixon Music Call, KingsWood Amphitheaer, Eifel Tower replica, and the Action Theater.
- 1 Short Pump Town Center, 11800 West Broad St. An outdoor mall surrounded by waterfalls and beautiful lights and décor. It’s more of an upscale shopping center with restaurants like ‘The Cheesecake Factory’, or ‘Firebirds’. The shops range from ‘Nordstrom’s’ and ‘Gap’ to fine jewelry and boutique clothing.
- 2 Crofton Green Shopping Center, 12375 Gayton Rd..
- 3 Regency Square Mall (Located at Parham and Quioccasin Roads in Henrico County).
- 1 Melting Pot, 9704 Gayton Rd (in Gayton Crossing Shopping Center), ☏ , fax: . Su-Th 5-10PM, F Sa 5PM-midnight. This is fondue restaurant with a great wine list. The food prices are on the high end. On Thursday night there is a wine tasting in the bar area for $10 and you get to sample three different wines and meal purchase is not required. Meals $18-$50, fondue $13 plus $6.50 for each additional person.
- 2 Sakura Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 9008 W. Broad St, ☏ . They have sushi, habachi grill, and normal menu.
- 3 Pho Thien Phat, 6403 Rigsby Rd (near West End), ☏ . Hands down the best beef phở in Richmond, and, according to many, rivals what you get in Saigon. Complete with packed crowds on the weekends and hurried servers, but still worth the wait. Order a durian bubble tea (off-menu) for dessert, and you'll feel like you're in Southeast Asia.
- 4 UMI, 11645 W Broad Street, ☏ . Best sushi in town!
- 5 Glory Days Grill, 10466 Ridgefield Parkway, ☏ . Glory Days Grill is a sports bar which includes a wide variety of foods at reasonable prices. This is a great family restaurant with an entertainment room in the back. There are many TVS - big and small - in the restaurant with volume controlled radios at each table. Glory Days serves lunch and dinner. Its casual dining. You can dine in or take out.
- 6 Mekong Restaurant, 6004 W. Broad St. Great Vietnamese food, and an excellent beer selection.
- 1 Capital Ale House, 4024-A Cox Rd, ☏ , fax: . M-F 11AM-1:30AM, Sa-Su 10AM-1:30AM. 75 Beers on draft and over 200 bottled beers. Beer prices can range from $2 to $50.
- 2 Rare Olde Times Irish Pub, 10602 Patterson Avenue, ☏ . Having a long tradition as a centerpiece in people's lives, public houses have acted as hardware stores, "spirit groceries", undertakers, and in many other capacities. But as a place for friends and community to gather in an informal setting, pubs have become less well known. Rare Olde Times is distinctly a Public House. You can find casual and regular acquaintances, friendly staff, a homely setting, and the personal touch that family ownership brings. Andy is a native of Dublin, Ireland and named the pub after a favorite song of his father’s.
- 1 Comfort Suites At Virginia Center Commons, 10601 Telegraph Road, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers guests free breakfast, free high-speed Internet access and an indoor heated pool. From $80.
- 2 Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, 1000 Virginia Center Parkway. Glen Allen is 10 miles north of downtown Richmond and only 20 miles from the Richmond International Airport.
- 3 Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen, 10077 Brook Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon. The new state-of-the-art lobby at Courtyard Richmond North provides greater flexibility and choices for our guests. This Glen Allen hotel's lobby features inviting, flexible spaces to work or relax in, free Wi-Fi throughout and easy access to the latest news via our GoBoard. The highlight of our lobby is The Bistro, which provides breakfast and dinner service with cocktails. The hotel offers 2800 square feet of flexible meeting space, perfect for corporate events and social gatherings. Just a short drive to downtown Richmond, Kings Dominion, Richmond International Airport, and Busch Gardens, our hotel has an ideal location no matter where you want to go! Our North Richmond hotel is also within easy reach of the dining, shopping and entertainment of nearby Virginia Center Commons Mall, Short Pump Towne Center, Carytown, and Shockoe Slip. Courtyard Richmond North is within minutes of Villa Park, Owens and Minor, and Bass Pro Shops. Welcome to Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen, It's a new stay!
- 4 Motel 6, 7831 Shrader Road, ☏ . This extended stay hotel offers on-site guest laundry facilities and free wireless high-speed Internet.
- 6 Embassy Suites Hotel Richmond, 2925 Emerywood Pkwy, ☏ . Enjoy a nightly reception and cooked-to-order breakfast.
- The area code is 804.
- Postal cities include Glen Allen, Short Pump, Tuckahoe, Wyndham, and Henrico.
- You can find free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread locations on Broad St, and at Stony Point and Willow Lawn and at the Capital Ale House on Cox Rd. You can also find Wi-Fi at the Twin Hickory YMCA or any McDonalds.