Asia > Middle East > Israel > Israeli Coastal Plain > Rishon LeTzion
Rishon LeZion, Rishon LeZiyyon or just Rishon (Hebrew:ראשון לציון) is a city in Israel on the Coastal Strip, just south of Tel Aviv. Rishon is Israel's fourth largest city with a population of 221,500. Its name translates as 'first for Zion' suggesting its importance as, along with Petah Tikva, the first Zionist settlement in Israel, founded in 1882.
Buses number 19, 74, 129, 174, 190, 191, 193, 201 and 274 reach Rishon LeZion from Tel Aviv (30–45 minutes). Buses 190, 191, 193 are express buses and are quicker than other buses from Tel Aviv to Rishon LeZion.
Rishon is located on the crossroads of several major highways and roads. On the western side, highways 20 and 4 cross through the city. On the south, it's bordered by the relatively new highway 431 that provides an easy connection to Jerusalem. Also crossing through the mid-section of the city is road 412 which connects to Rehovot on the south and Beit Dagan and road 44 on the north.
Rishon is connected to the Israeli Railway system via two stations
- 1 (Ha)Rishonim (הראשונים). located at the southern edge of the city, on the crossroads of highway 431 and road 412
- 2 Moshe Dayan station. a new station, located near the western industrial zone, on the crossroads of highway 20 and the Moshe Dayan boulevard
Inside Rishon Lezion, Egged operates 10 internal buses that serve most parts of the city. Most Egged and Dan buses that go to nearby cities like 19, 20, 74, 85, 129, 174, 201 also can be used for internal service inside Rishon LeZion.
- 1 The Great Synagogue, Rothschild and Pinsker street corner.
- 2 The Water Tower. in "Gan Ha'ir" garden, close to municipality building
- 3 Carmel Winery, Carmel street (in front of municipality building).
- 4 Rishon Letzion Museum.
- 5 The well. The original well of Rishon LeTzion, dug in 1883
- 6 Beit Sefer Haviv. The first Hebrew-speaking school since ancient times. Founded 1886, still active.
- 7 Gan Be'Ivrit (Garden in Hebrew). Largest garden (68 dumans) at the eastern side of the city, dedicated to the Hebrew language. Build on land that used to serve as military base.
- 8 Yad LeBanim. Now a memorial to fallen soldiers. Formerly the administrative center of Edmond James de Rothschild, built in 1894, and the largest and fanciest building in old Rishon Letzion.
- 1 Superland. This amusement park is often visited by people from Tel Aviv seeking better thrills than the ones at Luna Park Tel Aviv. While it has fewer rides, the rides it has to offer are often bigger and built more for the thrill seeker in the family. The park has two rollercoasters.
- 2 Beach (Western end of 441 road). It would take you about 10 minutes by car from the city center to reach Rishon's beach, which is quite nice, if crowded on weekends. Further south is "Palmachim" beach.
- 3 HaRova (הרובע, The quarter), Barshevski and Beker streets intersection. Nightlife center of eastern part of city
- 4 Flybox, ☏ . An indoor wind tunnel, where the wind blowing upwards is so strong that you can literally fly around. Open to ages 4 to 104, so they advertise.
Rishon was known for many years for its vast selection of malls and shopping centres. The most notable are:
- 1 G Rothschild Mall (Hebrew: קניון ג'י רוטשילד). Located at the very centre of the city on Rothschild boulevard
- 2 Kenyon HaZahav (Hebrew: קניון הזהב). The city's biggest shopping mall located in the western industrial zone
- 3 G Cinema City and G2 (ג'י סינמה סיטי וג'י 2), Moshe Dayan 32 (Near Kenyon Hazahav (the Golden Mall) and Mitcham G), ☏ 1-700-70-22-55 (premium). A shopping mall combined with a large movie theater. Includes many restaurants and more. Also it has 26 movie theaters, screening mostly American movies (in English) with Hebrew subtitles. And most importantly, features life-size dinosaur statues in the entrance. Be warned, though: it's usually very crowded and parking is scarce, especially at nighttime. Open at Friday night and Saturday too.
- 4 Azrieli Rishonim Mall (Hebrew: קניון עזריאלי ראשונים). A shopping mall located near Rishon Lezion HaRishonim railway station.
- River - Asian kitchen
- Isadora - Chef's restaurant
- 1 SoHo, 5 Moshe Beker st., ☏ . 10am - Final guest. Sushi bar
- La Familia & Francheska - Italian food
- Loft, Agadir, Black - Meat restaurants
- Cafe Polla - Coffee place with great breakfasts
- Max Brenner - Chocolate Bar
- Sunflower-. Quality Chinese Cuisine
- 2 Cinema City (סינמה סיטי), Moshe Dayan 32 (Near Kenyon Hazahav (the Golden Mall) and Mitcham G), ☏ 1-700-70-22-55 (premium). A shopping mall combined with a large movie theater. Restaurant in the mall include: Japanika (Japanese cuisine), Giraffe (Asian), Teresa (pasta bar), Cafe Cafe Beach, Moses (American cuisine), Temple Bar (Irish pub) and more.
- 1 Katza, Jabotinski 48 (Katzanelson street corner) (eastern end of Katzanelson street), ☏ (mobile).
- 2 Barca, Herzel 34, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 19:00-05:00. Pub dedicated to Bacelona's soccer team. Sunday's special is unlimited beer for ₪45 (till 00:30).
- 3 Sunflower, Jabotinsky 44 (Tarmav 32 coner), ☏ , . Quality Chinese cuisine
|Routes through Rishon LeTzion|
|Haifa ← Ramat Gan, Bnei Brak, Petah Tikva ←||N S||→ Ashdod, Ashkelon → Beer Sheba|
|Tel Aviv ← Holon, Bat Yam ←||N S||→ Beer Sheba|
|Tel Aviv ←||W E||→ Modi'in → Jerusalem|