North America > Canada > Quebec > Central Quebec > Quebec Region > Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is a village of 2,850 people (2011) east of Quebec city in the Côte-de-Beaupré County Regional Municipality in the Quebec Region. The village lies along the St Lawrence and faces the Île d'Orléans.
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré stands in a rolling agricultural country, with the foothills of the Laurentian Mountains in the background. The first church was built by sailors, seeking protection against shipwrecks off Ile-Oeuf on their way upriver to Quebec City. Saint Anne is the patron saint of sailors.
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is usually visited as a day trip from Québec City; by road, follow Autoroute 440 then Route 138 downriver on the north shore. There are various tour buses which visit from the city.
- Intercar, ☏ . Two buses a day leave from Québec City (Sainte-Foy) at 09:45 and 18:00 en route to Baie Comeau. 25-minute trip, $18-27.
- Taxi Mont-Ste-Anne, ☏ .
- 1 Basilica of Saint Anne de Beaupré (Basilique de Sainte-Anne de Beaupre), 10018 Avenue Royale, ☏ , fax: . An enormous church which is reputed to have healing powers similar to those of Lourdes. It has a copy of Michelangelo's statue, the Pietà (the original is in in Rome). The basilica is believed to be a place of miracles. One of the builders of the original church, Louis Guimont, helped build the church despite having severe scoliosis and needing the aid of a crutch. When the church was complete, he was able to walk independently. Many subsequent visitors who have prayed at the church have left their canes, crutches and walking aids behind as testament to their healing. The main wall at the entry into the basilica is completely covered with crutches.
- Scala Santa, 10018 Royale Avenue (at the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré). Daily, depending on the season. A replica of the Holy Stairs that Jesus climbs to go before Pontius Pilate. Erected on a hillside, the Scala Santa was inaugurated in 1891. Also, statues and paintings recount the scene of the Ecce Homo (Pilate that presents Jesus to the crowd). Fre.
- Convent of the Redemptoristines. It once was home to nuns of the Redemptoristines order. The property has been purchased by a real-estate developer, who plans to redevelop it for funeral services.
- Atelier Paré Museum, 9269 Royale, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May 15-Oct 15: daily 09:00-17:00; Oct 16-May 14: W-Su 13:00-16:00. Museum, gallery and shop of wood sculpture.
- Chute Jean-Larose, Route 360, Beaupre. Waterfalls. An easy 10-minute walk through the woods along the small river to the top of the waterfall area. About 350 steps take you down 250 m to the bottom of the waterfalls. There is lots of free parking on the residential streets of the subdivision across the highway. $8 per person suggested donation (at Mont Ste.-Anne).
- 1 Canyon Sainte-Anne (6 km east of the town). Mid-May to late June 23: daily 09:00-17:00; late June 24 to August: daily 09:00-18:00; September: daily 09:00-17:00; last admission 1 hour before closing time.. A steep walled gorge. A 74-m (243-ft) waterfall lies within the canyon. The canyon is accessible to visitors via footpaths and foot bridges. Three suspension foot bridges cross the canyon, including one 60 m (197 ft) above the river. Adult $14, youth (13-17 years) $11, children (6-12 years) $8 (all prices include tax), children 5 and under free.
- Le Nordique Spa, 186 rang St-Julien, St-Férréol-les-Neiges, ☏ . M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa Su holidays 10:00-20:00. Spa with Finnish sauna, hammam Turkish steam bath, private lake for swimming, nordic bath with waterfall, rain shower, relaxation solarium, two relaxation yurts, outdoor rest areas, exterior propane fireplace, three outdoor hot tubs, eleven massage rooms, exterior heated floor, indoor dining room. Nordic baths, massage therapy, facials and body treatments, health bistro, Aufguss Sauna. admission $40, admission+half-hour massage $80.
- Centre Commercial Le Centre Sainte-Anne de Beaupré, 10516 Boulevard Sainte-Anne, ☏ . Su 10:00-17:00, M-W 09:30-17:30, Th F 09:30-21:00, Sa 09:30-17:00. A baker's dozen of shops and services that will fulfill all of your shopping needs, as long as your shopping needs are very, very limited.
- Boutique le Temps s’Arrête (Time Stops Boutique), 9989 Avenue Royale, ☏ . Antiques and flea market.
- Le Marie Beaupre, 9749 Blvd Ste-Anne, ☏ . Daily 06:00-22:00. Burgers, pizza, ribs, chicken, pastas.
- Thai-Cite Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre, 9652, Boul Sainte-Anne, ☏ . Tu-Su 17:00-22:00. Vietnamese and Cambodian.
- O peche mignon, 9954 Royale Avenue, ☏ . Daily 07:30-22:00. Diner.
- 1 Auberge Baker, 8790, avenue Royale, ☏ , toll-free: . M-Sa 12:00-21:00, Su 10:30-21:00. French and regional cuisine, seafood, salad, pizza, pasta, breakfast.
- Microbrasserie des Beaux Pres, 9430 Boulevard Sainte-Anne, ☏ . Tu 15:00-22:00, W 12:00-23:00, Th 12:00-00:00, F Sa 12:00-01:00, Su 12:00-22:00. 16 beers available in tasting glasses or full pints. Appetizers, sandwiches, pizzas.
- Bar Chez Charlie, 9650 Ste-Anne Blvd, ☏ .
- Quality Suites, 9800 Boulevard Ste-Anne, ☏ , fax: . TV, microwave, Wi-Fi, Q Corner Café.
- 1 Chateau Mont-Sainte-Anne, 500, Boul du Beau-Pre, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. A nice hotel at the base of Mont-Sainte-Anne.
- Motel Hibiscus, 9341 Boul Sainte-Anne, ☏ . Free Wi-Fi, cable television, coffee/tea maker, toiletries, air conditioning. From $80.
|Routes through Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré|
|Quebec City ← Château-Richer ←||W E||→ Baie-Saint-Paul → Sept-Îles|