Shey is a small rural village that was once the ancient capital of Ladakh, India. It is 15 km south-east of the present busy capital, Leh. The village is surrounded by spectacular mountains, a breathtaking view by day, and a great place to experience Ladakh.
- 1 Indus River. is only 10 minutes away.
- 2 Shey Palace and Monastery. is a 500 m walk. The climb up to Old Shey Palace will be rewarded with a fantastic view of one of the most beautiful landscapes of Ladakh.
- 3 Thikse Monastery (Thiksay Gompa). is about 4 km down the road towards the famous Hemis Monastery. The monasteries Stakna, Stok and Matho as well as Indus River are in visual range.
- Botho Guesthouse, Keylong-Leh Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The rooms are very cosy. ₹500 to ₹700 per night/person incl. breakfast and dinner.
- Hotel Whispering Willows.
- Leh – Getting to Leh is very easy and a great chance to experience the Ladakhi transportation system. Just stand by the main road and wave your hand if you see a small Suzuki van. The ride to Leh takes about 20 minutes and costs ₹20.