Skipton is a small town of around 300 people on the banks of the Emu Creek. It is in sheep grazing country.
Around 65 km west of Ballarat on the Glenelg Highway.
Bicycle Victoria runs an occasional shuttle from Ballarat to Skipton for people cycling the Ballarat to Skipton railtrail. The railtrail itself is a 45km offroad cycle from Ballarat, bicycle hire is available in Ballarat.
Public transport is out of the question. Get by with a bike, car or on foot.
- Platypus at Mt Emu Creek - the best time to see them is around dusk. There is a pathway and viewing platform with interpretative signage in Stewart Park.
- Mt Widderin Caves are one of several volcanic features around the area, formed by the crust of a lava flow. They are 6km south from Skipton town on the Lismore road.
- Skipton Art Gallery. F-M 10AM-5PM.
Mt Emu creek provides some pretty ponds and billabongs. There is a suspension pedestrian bridge over the billabong in Stewart park. Out by the swimming pool there is a pretty small lake, with birdwatching opportunities.
1 Swim. There is a public swimming pool near the end on Blake St
- Skipton Eel Factory (Australis Eels). The largest in the southern hemisphere, processing and exporting over 150,000kg of eel every year. It sells smoked eel and other eel related products.
- Chrissie Ries Takeaway (Next to the pub). Cappuccino, cakes, pies, sandwiches.
- Skipton Roadhouse. The BP service station has a small range of hot food.
The pub serves meals daily, and has a range of $10 specials.
The pub serves drinks, every night.
- 1 Skipton Hotel, Montgomery St, ☎ . $45/dbl.
No problems with mobile reception on all the networks. There is a post office open business hours. Public phone outside the pub.