St. Tammany Parish is in eastern Louisiana. It is along the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, across the lake from New Orleans. (A Louisiana "Parish" is the equivalent of a "county" in other states.) Historically part of Louisiana's "Florida Parishes", in recent decades it's often considered part of the Greater New Orleans region since modern highways and causeways have changed the distance "across the lake" into a reasonable commute.
Set along and near Lake Pontchartrain, with an abundance of pine forests and gently rolling hills, St. Tammany has been a popular spot for New Orleanians taking a break from city life for more than a century and a half. The area has experienced a boom in recent decades bringing much suburban style development and modern conveniences, but St. Tammany still has an abundance of spots with the relaxing atmosphere of charming old Louisiana towns of yesteryear.
- 1 Abita Springs town in the woods; namesake of regionally popular beer
- Fontainebleau State Park, popular park stretching from the lakeshore into the woods. Highway 190 just East of Mandeville
- Madisonville old town on the Tchefuncte River just north of Lake Pontchartrain
Interstate 12 runs roughly east-to-west through the Parish. I-10 connects New Orleans and Slidell; at the outskirts of Slidell I-59 heads north into Mississippi. Just west of the Parish, I-55 connects to I-12 near Hammond. The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway stretches south from Mandeville to Metairie; north of Mandeville it becomes Highway 190 leading into Covington.
- Visit the old town of Covington
- Have a meal or beverage overlooking the lakefront in old Mandeville
- Tour the brewery in Abita Springs
- Tammany Trace. Bike, hike, or horse ride along this scenic trail reclaimed from an old railroad right of way
- InstaGator, 23440 Lowe Davis Road (about 20 minutes drive north east of Covington; see website for detailed directions). Working alligator farm.
Beer drinkers should be sure to try Abita Beer, especially when it's on tap. The favorite Louisiana brewed beer comes from right here St. Tammany. Abita Beer comes in several varieties.