Europe > Balkans > Romania > Transylvania > Szeklerland > Mureș County > Târgu-Mureș
The following airlines operate service to/from the airport:
- Cimber-air(Charter) (Billund, Copenhagen)
- TAROM (Bucharest-Otopeni)
- Wizz Air (Barcelona, Budapest, Dortmund, London-Luton, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Rome)
(A bus operates betweeen the airport and the city center. A taxi costs 40 Lei.)
There are five daily trains to/from Brasov, (6.5-9 hours), two to/from Bucharest (9.5-10 hours), and one to/from Timisoara (6.5 hours). There is also a daily train to/from Budapest. Service to Cluj-Napoca (4 hours) is available with a transfer and 1-hour layover.
A bus is by far the cheapest option to get around. A ticket costs 1.8 lei and can be purchased on board from either the driver or an attendant who is usually sitting elsewhere on the bus. It is an honor system so if you're caught without a ticket or proper ID, you have to pay a fine. The route is posted on the front window of the bus.
Taxis are cheap. Different companies charge slightly different rates. The average per km rate is about 1.68 lei. The cab drivers can speak Romanian and usually Hungarian. Many are also fluent in English.
At the football stadium, you can rent a bike for free for two hours, but you have to sign a contract in Romanian and submit your photo ID.
- 1 Targu Mures Fortress (right in the center of the city). It was built in the 17th century.
- 2 Culture Palace (center of the city). It is a remarkable building built between 1911-1913 in the Hungarian Art Nouveau style.
- 3 Zoo Târgu-Mureș (Grădina Zoologică Târgu-Mureș).
The Târgu-Mureş Historical Society occasionally holds seminars on local history and mythology in English.
The main shopping area is the Trandafirilor Square which is the center of the city.
There are also shopping malls:
- 1 Mures Mall. Near the city center. The Mall has 5 floors, each of them hosting renowned brands and names, some of them for the first time in Romania.
- 2 Promenada Mall. Located near the industrial park, on the outskirts of the city.
- 1 Tempo, Strada Morii nr. 27. A restaurant with a vast array of dishes and specialties. A lot of character as well with a Hungarian musical band every night.
- 2 La Teo Restaurant, Alexandru Papiu Ilarian nr.1 (right next the Medieval Fortress), ☎ . 11AM-midnight. International dishes and local food. Great coffee, winebar, and house made cakes and deserts. Runed by a friendly owner, Teo.
- 3 Shusha, Str. Horia, nr. 21 (Very close to city center.), ☎ 0742 581 307. Mon - Thu: 8:30 am - 10:00 pm Fri: 8:30 am - 12:00 am Sat: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am. A small very friendly fast food place. They have the tastiest burgers in town and probably the best in the region.
- 1 The Back Stage, Piata Trandafirilor nr. 53, ☎ . A quiet place with good music and pleasant service. Live music on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- 2 Dublin Irish Pub, Strada Mihai Viteazul nr. 31, ☎ . An Irish-themed pub that serves Guinness and many other drinks! There is a decent menu of both Irish and other dishes as well. A little on the expensive side.
Being a university town, there are plenty of clubs to go out at night to have fun with local and international students. Smoking is generally allowed in the clubs.
- 3 Club Sense, Pavel Chinezu 10, ☎ . J-S: 21:00 - 4:00.
- 1 Hostel Mures, Strada Victor Babes nr. 11, ☎ . HI hostel
- 2 Hotel Concordia, Piața Teatrului nr. 5-6. A swanky luxury hotel right in the center of town with a beautiful view of the churches. €90.
- 3 Hotel Continental, Piața Trandafirilor nr. 45 (A five minute walk from the center of town). Decent rooms popular with tour groups. €30.