The earliest recorded history of the islands was in 651 when they became the home of St Aidan, who was joined by St Cuthbert. In 676 St Cuthbert created what may be the world's first wildlife protection law, protecting the eider ducks. The islands were used as a religous retreat for hermits over the following centuries.
Several lighthouses were built on the islands in the 18th century, including the Longstone Lighthouse on Outer Farne. In 1838 Grace Darling and her father were resident and rescued 9 people from a shipwreck.
The islands are open to visitors from April to October. There is a National Trust admission charge, which for an adult ranges from £7.70 to £34.80.
- On foot!
- Most visitors go to Inner Farne or Staple Island. Inner Farne has boardwalks. Staple Island has bare rocks.
- 1 St Cuthbert's Chapel, Inner Farne. built in the 14th century and modified in the 19th this chapel is open for visits.
- 2 Longstone Lighthouse. Visit the lighthouse and Grade Darling's house.
No food or drink available on the islands. Take a picnic with you.