Vaitheeswaran Kovil is a small town near Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu.
From Chennai side, take Cholan Express (train no:16853/16854) to Vaitheeswaran Koil. From Coimbatore or Madurai side, take any train that goes to Mayiladuthurai. There is a direct train from Mysore/Bangalore and Coimbatore that goes up to Mayiladuturai, 14 km from Vaitheeswaran Koil.
Tirupulliruku Velur, popularly known as Vaitheeswaran Koil, is one of the most important Saivite shrines of Tanjore District. It's enclosed within tall granite walls, in the centre of the town. This temple has extensive landed properties including 1176 acres of dry lands and 6105 of wet lands. Jewels to the value of ₹1,60,750 are kept here to adorn the deities during festival days, and many additions like silver and gold cover for the images, and gem-set crown, have been added to the collections by the devotees and the head of the Dharmapuri Adheenam.
There is a big car to take the image in procession during the Chitra festival and it was constructed at a cost of ₹12,000. Many silver and gold trays have also been endowed by the rich devotees and are used during the important festivals. This temple is administered ably by the Dharmapuri Adheenam.
Go to this temple, which is very ancient, and worship Vaithyanatha Swamy and Thaiyal Nayaki Amman. This town is famous also for "Nadi Josiyam", a type of foretelling by scanning the ancient palm-leaf ("Olai Suvadi", in Tamil) scriptures.
There are some good eateries here, but you get only South Indian food.
- Hotel Sadhabhishekam. Decent food, and really pretty surroundings.
- Sri Thaiyal Nayaki Vilas Hotel near the main entrance of the temple. It's an old traditional Brahmin's Hotel.
- Sri Akshardham Hotel food is good. Check-in and check-out 24 hr. So be sure you check in late if you have a connecting train or bus next day. The place is at the center of 4 of the 9 Navagraha Sthala's. Charges are around ₹900 per day and room service.
- Sri Guru Lodge, Amman Sannathi, Ph: 94435 65208. The vontact person is Mr.Kumar - Mobile: +91 9443565208 .
- Sri Thaila Lodge, Amman Sannathi. Ph: +91 04364 -279405. Mobile: +91 94439-85979, 99448-86682.
- Sri Vishwa Lodge, Amman Sannathi. Ph: +91 043-64279132. Mobile: +91 94882-15132/94435-64207.
You can complete your darshan in about two hours and thereafter you can continue your trip.